REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   can i dispute this? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/584032-can-i-dispute.html)

Nvasion 07-27-2009 10:30 PM

can i dispute this?

i have 1 count) excessive speeding (110km/h) ($368)
2) drive without cosideration ($196)
3) speed relative to conditions ($167)

the story is i was in a rush to my hockey game and i was driving 70 as i came close to a light it just turned yellow, because i coudlnt stop safely i had to run it going through the light about 75-80km/h. the cops sees me and tells me im going 110km/h, is it possible to argue that?

Also if i was driving at 80km/h would i get the second and third count?

sho_bc 07-27-2009 10:42 PM

He wouldn't issue excessive speed without some evidence of it. If you truly believe you were driving at 70-80, dispute (but be prepared to possibly pay the $196 fine associated to those speeds). Ask for disclosure of notes, as those would explain the evidence for each charge.

Nvasion 07-27-2009 10:49 PM

thanks! i know i was driving 70-80 going pass the yellow light. After the light its a straightaway and i was going about 70 again. I was not swerving or cutting anyone off or anything. I was just really late for something i had to do and had to get there ASAP. I ended up getting cuffed and questions a bunch of times on how i can buy a car when i work 2 days a week. (total bs)

also anyidea on how difficult it will be to knock off the last 2 offences? i have never had a ticket prior to this. Is there a way i can write a letter to the crown or my judge whoever it is going to be and explain what happend ?

CRS 07-28-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6524673)
thanks! i know i was driving 70-80 going pass the yellow light. After the light its a straightaway and i was going about 70 again. I was not swerving or cutting anyone off or anything. I was just really late for something i had to do and had to get there ASAP. I ended up getting cuffed and questions a bunch of times on how i can buy a car when i work 2 days a week. (total bs)

also anyidea on how difficult it will be to knock off the last 2 offences? i have never had a ticket prior to this. Is there a way i can write a letter to the crown or my judge whoever it is going to be and explain what happend ?

Yeah, by disputing the ticket. No letters, just a court date.

Rich Sandor 07-28-2009 08:32 AM

You got CUFFED for doing 70kph in a 50kph zone??? There's more to the story than you're letting on.

If I were you I'd forget about revscene and call a traffic lawyer.

PS, I've talked my way out of a similar "double dip" ticket in court, but I can't promise the same will work for you.

jlenko 07-28-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

I was just really late for something i had to do and had to get there ASAP

Try that one in court :haha:

Let us know when your court date is.. I'd love to come and watch you defend yourself.

CRS 07-28-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6525222)
Try that one in court :haha:

Let us know when your court date is.. I'd love to come and watch you defend yourself.

Hey, a hockey game is VERY important.

That is like my pregnant wife getting ready to give birth. I NEED to get there ASAP. Hell, the hockey game is probably more important than that. I need to speed up and make myself a danger to not only myself but other people.

zulutango 07-28-2009 01:31 PM

You "May" dispute it...but, (depending on the circumstances involved) you "can" NOT dispute.

Nvasion 07-28-2009 03:32 PM

i got cuffed for no reason... he didnt even come to my window he just said get out of the car and he cuffed me.

i know i was speeding but that was when there was open road, i did not cut anyone off or tailgate anyone.

i know i shouldnt have been speeding to a hockey game because its not a Huge crisis or anything but the thing that pissed me off was me going 70-80 and him writing me a 110km/h ticket.

skidmark 07-28-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

i know i was driving 70-80 going pass the yellow light.

What happened before the yellow light?

Five-Oh 07-28-2009 05:57 PM

How long was he following you for? Are you sure the light was yellow and not red? How heavy was the traffic?

I wasn't there so it is hard to comment on the tickets you got and why you got them. But people don't get handcuffed for speeding alone unless the speed they are travelling at is absurd. There is generally an aggravating factor which causes the handcuffs to come out prior to any discussion.

I'd say your best is to dispute this ticket and get all of the police officer's notes and hear his testimony to get all of the information you need to accurately dispute your ticket.

zulutango 07-28-2009 08:04 PM

in 28 years of ticket writing I never personally did, nor ever heard of any Cop handcuffing a driver for `just speeding`unless there was some huge officer safety concern. Lots more to this story. I think the ballpark ticket speaks volumes of the depth of this event. I`ve issued a few in my time but there was always a huge reason to do so....and in all cases, there was lots of reason to continue writing, even after home plate.

Nvasion 07-28-2009 08:11 PM

well i was driving east heading to boundary from nanaimo, i believe the cop was about 2 blocks behind me. Since its a straight away going downhill pretty much and i was at the bottom and he was at the top he saw me going at over 50km/h. I am sure that while going into the intersection the light was yellow not a red. I think a reason he cancuffed me was because i just finished a hockey game and was heading to another game and i was in my hockey pants and was breathing heavily due to being tired. The traffic wasnt busy, it was consistent traffic it wasnt stop and go.

CRS 07-29-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6525605)
i got cuffed for no reason... he didnt even come to my window he just said get out of the car and he cuffed me.

i know i was speeding but that was when there was open road, i did not cut anyone off or tailgate anyone.

i know i shouldnt have been speeding to a hockey game because its not a Huge crisis or anything but the thing that pissed me off was me going 70-80 and him writing me a 110km/h ticket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6525918)
well i was driving east heading to boundary from nanaimo, i believe the cop was about 2 blocks behind me. Since its a straight away going downhill pretty much and i was at the bottom and he was at the top he saw me going at over 50km/h. I am sure that while going into the intersection the light was yellow not a red. I think a reason he cancuffed me was because i just finished a hockey game and was heading to another game and i was in my hockey pants and was breathing heavily due to being tired. The traffic wasnt busy, it was consistent traffic it wasnt stop and go.

Which one is it? Or did he hear you breathing from his cruiser despite all the noise going around?

Nvasion 07-29-2009 06:29 AM

right when he stopped behind me to pull me over he told me to get out of the car and i guess once he saw my gear and my breathing heavily he cuffed me.

sho_bc 07-29-2009 07:57 AM

It usually takes a lot for me to ask someone to step out of the car at a traffic stop, unless I'm showing/explaining reasons for equipment violation tickets. And they don't come out until the end of the traffic stop.

Nvasion 07-29-2009 02:36 PM

yeah i know thats what surprises me also. my car is under my name... maybe because i have a heatscore car? kitted 00 celica with tint in the rear windows.

Blah_Teggie 08-03-2009 11:19 AM

good luck getting out of this ticket dude. I think it's pretty hard for someone to go 110 on a regular street unless you're getting all green lights.