REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Bus Etiquette (https://www.revscene.net/forums/584168-bus-etiquette.html)

~designer_rice~ 07-28-2009 10:16 PM

Bus Etiquette

My student and I were discussing something that he observed on the bus. The bus was very crowded. There were about 10 senior citizens sitting or standing at the front of the bus. At one bus stop, a lady with her baby and stroller boarded the bus. The bus driver proceeded to tell 3 senior citizens to get up from their seats so the lady can "park" her stroller at the courtesy section. Some senior citizens had to get off the bus to make room for the lady, her baby and her stroller. My student was amazed that a baby had so much power. He said, "Is a baby the king/queen of Vancouver?"

Did the bus driver act appropriately? Should the lady and her baby have waited for another bus? Or was it okay for the senior citizens to vacate their seats for the baby and the stroller? What do you guys think?

twitchyzero 07-28-2009 10:59 PM

there's no right and wrong answer since Priority Seating is for both a mom and stroller/disabled/seniors.

Personally i'd think the mom/stroller should've waited for the next bus since the strollers usually have shades for the kid..well the mom she can suck it up.

But for a senior...they're frail as heck..we don't want them get heat stroke in this weather.

Preemo 07-28-2009 11:04 PM

Eff that. Seniors first. The baby can hang out IN the stroller or she can hang out for the next bus. There's a reason why we are paying more for transit and that's more frequent bus stops.

Ch28 07-28-2009 11:48 PM

Seniors first

It's bullshit how THREE seniors had to get up so one diaper shitting kid could lounge around on the bus.

Culture_Vulture 07-29-2009 02:10 AM

^they might have been safety procedures.

but yes seniors first.

simsimi1004 07-29-2009 04:47 AM

was OP and student standing?
no one else on the bus was willing to give up their seats to a senior?
in a scenerio like this, its amazing to see that no one was willing to stand up, even if they're not in a priority seat? i wouldnt mind standing up for one whole bus ride..... lame

but, unless the bus was full b/c of mom and baby, and driver needed 3 people to get out... then id think about it, i hate waiting for buses in this weather.....

Hot Karl 07-29-2009 05:33 AM

well a baby can burn up pretty bad in the sun. stroller cover/shade or not. so could that be the reason?

it sounds like a bit much, but i'd really wanna know why the other folks on the bus didn't gtfo their seats for these 3 seniors? IMO that's the real problem.

q0192837465 07-29-2009 01:36 PM

You know, when I took the bus back then, I always pretend to be asleep so that I dun have to give up my seat. I feel so guilty now.

But yea, the right thing to do is for 3 other able bodies to give their seats to the seniors while the mom park her stroller in the priority seat. But I think in this case the mom should not be seated cuz she can still take care of her baby standing up. What I hate is when I see moms with baby in the stroller taking up so much space as if they own then entire bus.

underscore 07-29-2009 03:05 PM

I think anyone sitting who wasn't a senior, should have gotten up and given the seniors who had to move for the bay their seats, and mom should have to stand or smush up near the stroller. also the mom shouldn't go on the bus with a stroller so big it needs 3 spots, if she's walking take the bigass stroller with a million pouches but for people using the bus/going shopping, the massive strollers they make nowadays are ridiculous. it's like a cargo van.

Grandmaster TSE 07-29-2009 03:53 PM

the bus driver should have gotten others to move so the baby can sit
the seniors should get priority though

Ikkaku 07-30-2009 10:36 PM

Agreed with other people. The fact that the seniors had to get off is just wrong. Non-disabled people should provide seating for the seniors, however if the bus was completely packed, I doubt anybody would step off the bus to allow the seniors to sit.

Worse is when you want to give your seats to a senior and some other person slides in to take the seat.

lol FAIL 08-17-2009 10:27 PM

I'm just here to say a few things related to public transit.

1. Sometimes it does suck, quit whining. Translink does the best they can, you're not paying for no VIP service so don't expect to get any. It's 2.50 give or take, so take a car if you want.

2. People, please wear deodorant.

3. Stop looking miserable as fuck, god I hate staring at all you miserable people.

4. I give up my seat all the time for an old person, it's nice to hear thanks. Even if you don't I still give my seat up for you, sometimes I wonder if all these people on the transit are from America.

5. I want to kill those who speed past me as soon as a seat is available and steal the seat I'm about to go sit in.

edit: oh answer for the OP.

I would say the moms a douche for going during rush hour. Assuming it's rush hour, otherwise she should wait her ass.

muteki 08-18-2009 04:01 AM

Other people should've given their seats up for the seniors but the mom should've just waited. It's first come first serve. There's no reason anyone should have to get off and wait for another bus for another person.
Parents need to stop taking giant strollers onto the bus as if they own it. I've seen like 4 huge strollers block off the entire front when it bus was packed and a lot of people stuck at the front couldn't even get off at their stops.

And yes, deodorant is a MUST, the buses smell terrible during hot days.

kungpow 08-18-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lol internet. (Post 6551987)
I would say the moms a douche for going during rush hour. Assuming it's rush hour, otherwise she should wait her ass.

She paid for the bus ride so she can go whenever she wants. Rush hour or not. I would be like that too if I had to take the bus/skytrain.

I haven't used transit since highschool and it's pathetic that I'm paying for it still when I pay for gas.

MR_BIGGS 08-18-2009 10:28 PM

Seniors first..

twitchyzero 08-18-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lol internet. (Post 6551987)
3. Stop looking miserable as fuck, god I hate staring at all you miserable people.

Nobody is forcing you to stare at other people.

What a dumb point

Shun Izaki 08-19-2009 01:01 AM

I hate to say this, but I don't take the bus... just in-case shit like this happens.

as mentioned before, seniors are frail, so are babies... but babies have mothers, seniors mothers are dead.

observer 08-19-2009 06:26 AM

Others should have gotten off to make room for the senior, and dealing with the stroller and baby may not be as easy as one might think.

For additional reading on public transit etiquette:

http://imperialhotelmanagementcolleg...n-transit.html

lol FAIL 08-19-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6553837)
Nobody is forcing you to stare at other people.

What a dumb point

People will fall in your point of view no matter what, it's not like I want to look at them. If I was looking straight, unfortunately I have to look at them.

E=mc˛ 08-19-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kungpow (Post 6553818)
She paid for the bus ride so she can go whenever she wants. Rush hour or not. I would be like that too if I had to take the bus/skytrain.

:werd:

why the hell do people think anyone in their right minds would purposely skip getting on a bus if it were possible to? Especially since the bus driver let the mom on, therefore it wasn't as cramped as it could've been. The bus driver is the one to judge whether there's room. The mom outside doesn't have as good a view. If anything, the bus driver should've told her she can't get on.

Seniors having to get up isn't even a valid reason to point fingers at the mom. There are plenty of other seats on the bus. Blame the idiots who wouldn't give up their seats!

staysupreme 08-19-2009 10:06 AM

word, the other douches on the bus should have given their seats.
and I cosign MXQBLGH becasue it's the bus driver who knows if the bus is full or not

XtC_13aBy 08-24-2009 06:50 PM

I think it's right for the seniors to have to stand up and let the lady and stroller take the priority seats. That's what the extra space is for. You wouldn't want a stroller blocking the main pathway into the bus would you??.. who would want that?? The seniors can go sit or stand somewhere else.

ajax 08-31-2009 10:14 PM

I was on the skytrain the other day and some stupid fat bitch was sitting on a seat and had her feet up on another! I wanted to punch this fattie!