REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Plate decal question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/584370-plate-decal-question.html)

shenmecar 07-30-2009 08:47 PM

Plate decal question

I want to put a frame around my rear license plate but the bottom part of the frame will inevitably hide the bar code on my insurance decal, the month and the year is still visible of course.

Is this considered illegal?

Five-Oh 07-30-2009 10:25 PM

If any part of the insurance decal is covered you can get a ticket for it, so in this case, yes it is illegal.

zulutango 07-31-2009 05:27 AM

$196 VT for obstructed plate...the Val Tag is considered to be a "plate".

Soundy 07-31-2009 08:02 AM

Next time you renew your insurance, stick the date tag somewhere that it won't be blocked by the frame :)

Just out of curiosity, have any of the cops here ever actually written a ticket for a frame? I've never heard of anyone ever getting one.

underscore 07-31-2009 08:53 AM

^ someone on here got one for his BMW frame, he went back to the dealer and complained to them. I think it was on here anyways.

zulutango 07-31-2009 08:54 AM

There have been a few "attitude adjustment" Vts for this cross my ticket box. Usually prompted by somebody who has totally obstructed the Val Tag, not produced the regsitration and had an in-your-face-attitude, complaining I was wasting their time ( I guess mine doesn't count?).

Volvoman 07-31-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6529270)
$196 VT for obstructed plate...the Val Tag is considered to be a "plate".

i got that before for a dealer plastic plate frame. disputed it and the cop dropped it. by the time i went to court (12 months later), my car was already sold anyways.

I actually argued with the cop about the ticket before we went into the courtroom first. I told her it was a dealer plate, it wasn't a flashy chrome aftermarket frame, and i see more assholes on the street with aftermarket ones that cover the entire decal. Mine just covered half. She said she'd drop the ticket but in my head, i thought she shouldn't have given me one in the first place and waste everyone's time.

zulutango 08-01-2009 05:41 AM

And lots of illegal window tint came on cars from dealers too...the source is not the problem. The fact that the illegal object is there...is the problem. The fact that 1/2 is obstructed...still makes it obstructed. The MV Regs are very specific...if you break them, you break them. I agree it's not the major problem we have with road safety, but many stolen VAL Tags were on stolen or expired plates and I checked every one I could not see clearly. Found forgeries, bits from different tags put together, ones with part of the serial number scratched out so that they could not be properly identified as a stolen Val Tag..,.etc...along with prohib drivers, drugs, stolen property, impaired drivers, defective vehicles, you name it.All were because I stopped them for an obstructed Val tag. It also takes part of shift to do it so why not charge for the offense found committing ?