REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Plate decal question

I want to put a frame around my rear license plate but the bottom part of the frame will inevitably hide the bar code on my insurance decal, the month and the year is still visible of course.

Is this considered illegal?
Advertisement
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

If any part of the insurance decal is covered you can get a ticket for it, so in this case, yes it is illegal.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
$196 VT for obstructed plate...the Val Tag is considered to be a "plate".
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Next time you renew your insurance, stick the date tag somewhere that it won't be blocked by the frame

Just out of curiosity, have any of the cops here ever actually written a ticket for a frame? I've never heard of anyone ever getting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
^ someone on here got one for his BMW frame, he went back to the dealer and complained to them. I think it was on here anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer

There have been a few "attitude adjustment" Vts for this cross my ticket box. Usually prompted by somebody who has totally obstructed the Val Tag, not produced the regsitration and had an in-your-face-attitude, complaining I was wasting their time ( I guess mine doesn't count?).
Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
$196 VT for obstructed plate...the Val Tag is considered to be a "plate".
i got that before for a dealer plastic plate frame. disputed it and the cop dropped it. by the time i went to court (12 months later), my car was already sold anyways.

I actually argued with the cop about the ticket before we went into the courtroom first. I told her it was a dealer plate, it wasn't a flashy chrome aftermarket frame, and i see more assholes on the street with aftermarket ones that cover the entire decal. Mine just covered half. She said she'd drop the ticket but in my head, i thought she shouldn't have given me one in the first place and waste everyone's time.
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

And lots of illegal window tint came on cars from dealers too...the source is not the problem. The fact that the illegal object is there...is the problem. The fact that 1/2 is obstructed...still makes it obstructed. The MV Regs are very specific...if you break them, you break them. I agree it's not the major problem we have with road safety, but many stolen VAL Tags were on stolen or expired plates and I checked every one I could not see clearly. Found forgeries, bits from different tags put together, ones with part of the serial number scratched out so that they could not be properly identified as a stolen Val Tag..,.etc...along with prohib drivers, drugs, stolen property, impaired drivers, defective vehicles, you name it.All were because I stopped them for an obstructed Val tag. It also takes part of shift to do it so why not charge for the offense found committing ?