REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Credit card fraud

Someone set up a Telus Pay and Talk account under my name and Vancouver address.

I haven't had a Vancouver credit card in a few years, but they used one of my overseas credit cards. All the account information they used could have been taken from a phone book. There was about $600 charged over a 2 mth period. I reported it to AMEX and they reversed the charges and issued me a new card.

Telus sent me a letter to my Vancouver address stating the phone number of the acct saying my credit card information had expired. I called the phone number and it went to "Jay's" voicemail. I don't know any Jays. I reported it to Telus, and they are investigating since the DOB doesn't match mine - only my residential address matches. I'm not sure why Telus even allows someone to set up an acct using a credit card number that doesn't match the billing address. Telus has not tried to recover any funds from me.

Anyhow, Telus is investigating this fraud, but are there any additional steps I should take? I'm guessing there weren't any other fraudulent charges because he did not have the billing address for my card or the secret number printed on the card.
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Just be glad Telus is actually willing to investigate. The same thing just happened to my grandmother (who is pushing 70 and retired in the Okanagan) and Shaw is refusing to investigate because she isn't the "account holder".

I would think that would be all you would need to do though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith

Contact equifax etc (and any overseas credit rating companies that might be applicable) to report it.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
There was a story some years ago about a similar occurrence - someone in the Lillooet area got a phone in the name of an Abbotsford couple and racked up thousands of dollars of long distance on it, then vanished. Last I'd heard, the couple were still fighting Telus over the bill - they'd never been to Lillooet and no other details on the account matched them except the name, but Telus was still trying to wring money from them.

Count yourself lucky that Telus took your word for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Interesting how they could link your overseas CC to your Vancouver address and phone number.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #6

I don't imagine it would be hard. They get the card number and his name... they can look up his phone number from his name... if the card billing goes to his Vancouver address, all they'd need is a copy of that bill. Call up Telus, set up the account, give the CC number and the address associate with it... bing, bang, boom.
Quote:
Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #7

Why would they know he's from Vancouver when he's been living overseas for a while now? It's an overseas creditcard.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #8

Well how would I know? I didn't do it, I'm just speculating. Maybe someone lifted his wallet, got all his info, then slipped it back in his pocket. Maybe he has the bills for his CC mailed to his Vancouver address. Maybe he tossed receipts with that CC info into his garbage in front of his house when he was IN Vancouver. There's thousands of possibilities.
Quote:

Last edited by skidmark; 08-03-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #9

Could very well be someone he knows as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

No, what I'm trying to say is that my credit card bill goes to my overseas address. They somehow got my credit card no, and expiry date (perhaps from a discarded receipt?). They looked my name up in the phone book, and registered the account under my Vancouver addresss. They never got ahold of my overseas address. Somehow Telus allowed them to register a phone card under an address not linked with the card. This is probably also why they could never have any other fraudulent charges placed on my card. They did not have all the info required to do so.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #11
Retired moderator

^The prank was funny at the time? Oops!

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote