REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Excessive speeding

Just wondering what would the ticket/penalty be for going 200km/h in a 110km/h for someone with a Class 5 license and a clean driving record. I was discussing it with a buddy and he thought there's a $10,000 fine in BC for going 50 over.

Also, how do the scales work for going (??) over the limit.
Excessive speed is 30 over? Is there a ticket for 90 over or does it max out at some point.

Thanks!
Advertisement
HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Speeding tickets...1-20 kms over = $138, 21-40 over = $196, 41-60 kms over = $368 and more than 61 k over the limit gets a $483 ticket....but there are other street racing and Criminal Code options, depending on the circumstances involved. They involve vehicle seizures, DL suspensions, huge fines and/or a Criminal Record.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^^ beat me to it.

edited.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
VLS Head Mod

sorry if this has been covered this just got me thinking because I was caught excessive speeding and the cop was nice enough to give me the lowest fine. I did a search awhile ago and didn't find anything. Anyhow I got my first speeding ticket back in May and understand I get 3 points for speeding again a highway sign section 146(3) but what I'm curious about is this http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...riables._frag_ am I correct in thinking that other than the $138 fine that I am not being charged anything additional for the 3 points and the only way you pay for any points is if you have 4 or over? tia
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Speeding tickets...1-20 kms over = $138, 21-40 over = $196, 41-60 kms over = $368 and more than 61 k over the limit gets a $483 ticket....but there are other street racing and Criminal Code options, depending on the circumstances involved. They involve vehicle seizures, DL suspensions, huge fines and/or a Criminal Record.
So what kind of tickets are typically handed out to guys who get caught going 180+ in broad daylight on the highway up North of Nanaimo where the limit is 110 and there's those 1-2km straightaways?
HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
RS Peace Officer

As I said, it would depend on the circumstances. At the very least a $483 ticket. The higest speed I charged for was 232 in a 110. That was an excessive and a due care ticket and a letter to the Supt. MV Branch which got him a couple year prohib...had several similar VTs on his record.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
As I said, it would depend on the circumstances. At the very least a $483 ticket. The higest speed I charged for was 232 in a 110. That was an excessive and a due care ticket and a letter to the Supt. MV Branch which got him a couple year prohib...had several similar VTs on his record.
Were his initials JVD??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

It was a few years back. All I can say is that he was NOT a young rider...and he well knew he shouldn't have been riding in heavy traffic just a few kms south of Courtenay. He was going so fast he didn't even know I was on the road. Caught up with him on an exit ramp where he had nowhere to go & was boxed in by traffic. Was just an old idiot from the general Parksville area. Wrong speed, wrong place, wrong time and wrong attitude. Hopehe never taught any of his kids to ride.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavoK041 View Post
So what kind of tickets are typically handed out to guys who get caught going 180+ in broad daylight on the highway up North of Nanaimo where the limit is 110 and there's those 1-2km straightaways?
I don't actually see many (if any) excessive speeders along that route,quite surprising really.
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Nice. I was just thinking - tongue-in-cheek, of course - of a certain former Solicitor General...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

You mean a certain visible minority Pol with connectrions up a certain ski hill? He met us a number of times when we were working and he was not.

If you don't see many excessive speeders it's because you are not there at the right times. In ski season it's jato-assisted SUVs and Bimmers with atitudes higher than their speeds. All from Victoria or LMD, heading to ski at speeds an average of a minimum of 50-60k over the limit. Then sportbikes in the 220-300+ range...usually in groups.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
^ sounds like if you wanna get to go fast and not get tickets, it'd be wise to work with you :-P
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
I have a question. Have you personally given anyone a ticket for going less than 5 over the speed limit? Or do you know any officers who have given tickets for lets say 54 in a 50 zone? It seems totally ridiculous, but at the same time, the bottom line is, you are speeding so i guess it makes sense.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #14
RS Peace Officer

In all my time ticket writing in uniform I have never, nor ever worked with anyone, nor have ever heard of anyone writing a VT for 5 k over the limit...except when it was a spede to fastfor conditions...eg snow storm, fog etc. Then they should not have even been going the posted limit.

People who say they get a 5km ticket are incorrect...what happens often is that their speed is recorded before they know it. They then see the Cops, slam on the brakes & look at the speedo...now seeing their slowed down speed. Some are also incorrect about the speed zones, many think that it is OK to do 10 over, so they do, and add 5 to that. Now they're 15 over but think they are "5k over". Others just outright lie about their speed. I have had information on VT's I wrote come back to me from other sources and they are telling lies to save face with their friends...now they can slam the idiot Cops who are not out catching real criminals instead of harassing innocent drivers who were only going 5 k over the limit. The last group of speeders are those who are genuinely mistaken...they really believed they were not speeding and thought they were within the limit. The form a very small percentage.

There are so many speeding vehicles out there, why would Cops bother with 5km over charges when there are soooooo many doing 20-30+ over the limit. Yes 1 km over the posted limit is speeding but I would not waste my credibility with a JP or Judge to charge somebody with a 5k ticket...most other Police I know feel the same.

Last edited by zulutango; 08-09-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
Retired Traffic Cop

And when you ask those "only 5 over" people some questions to clarify, you often find that they were doing 5 over the 10 over that police don't bother you for.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Wish the wimpy Photo Radar rules of engagement where they said that you could speed 10 over the limit and not get tagged, were never part of the game plan. Most drivers treated this an an excuse to do exactly what Skidmark said above....same thing when they bump speed limits...the speeders just take 10 above the posted limit, whatever it is, as their benchmark for the new limit and then add at least 10 k above that.
80 k zones where speeders are doing 95-105, get bumped to 90... speeders then start doing 105-115. Skidmark and I both saw that happen on the Bowser 4 lane...and even more so north of Sayward on the Island.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I appreciate the replies! Id imagine a lot of people lie to try cover their own ass! Personally, if i see a cop around, if im not already doing the speed limit or 5kmh over, i will slow down. Seems like once i got my class 5, a year ago, the whole speeding thing seemed like such a stupid idea. This car likes to attract attention from the popo anyways so doing the speed limit is a must!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

if a cop is doing 80 in a 60 and your right behind him (digital reading in the bentley was saying 81-83 km/h) what are the odds of me getting pulled over and a ticket for speeding? I know I have had an officer behind me that told me he put his motorcycle @ 100 km/h and I was pulling away on him so he gave me a 368 ticket so does it work when the cop is infront of you and your behind? he was at 80 and so was I since the gap behind his car and my car weren't getting any larger. what are the odds of getting a ticket like this? He didn't pull me over but I saw him looking at me through his mirror so after following for a few mins I made a right turn at an intersection as he went through it lol.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #19
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_89T View Post
I have a question. Have you personally given anyone a ticket for going less than 5 over the speed limit? Or do you know any officers who have given tickets for lets say 54 in a 50 zone? It seems totally ridiculous, but at the same time, the bottom line is, you are speeding so i guess it makes sense.
I have seen it happen. I was following a minivan who was doing about 7 over the limit who was waved over at a speed trap.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #20
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post
if a cop is doing 80 in a 60 and your right behind him (digital reading in the bentley was saying 81-83 km/h) what are the odds of me getting pulled over and a ticket for speeding? I know I have had an officer behind me that told me he put his motorcycle @ 100 km/h and I was pulling away on him so he gave me a 368 ticket so does it work when the cop is infront of you and your behind? he was at 80 and so was I since the gap behind his car and my car weren't getting any larger. what are the odds of getting a ticket like this? He didn't pull me over but I saw him looking at me through his mirror so after following for a few mins I made a right turn at an intersection as he went through it lol.
Coming out of Vancouver on the highway to Burnaby I was doing just that, or well... speeding and then used the HOV lane to pass some work van. The officer then pulled over to the shoulder and let me past whilst I was 2 cars behind him. So I go past, he throws on the lights before he even moves out of the shoulder and im in there and stopped. He was nice enough to give me a warning...apparenlty with the HOV lane thing, the speeding, the not using my turn signal, and passing on a solid line I could have had a pretty bad day...nice guy though.
.... stayed out of the HOV lane since best not to push your luck.

--> Id imagine they would only do that if you were accumulated a fair amount of infractions at once... like I did. I doubt hes going to drop back and pull you over though for just staying in the same lane following a safe distance behind him... Never know though, hopefully if it happens you'll get a warning.
xplodngKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
e-thugger*

All my speeding tickets were doing 15-20 over the limit. I usually do 10 over and have no problems, even with police tailing me to run my plate. I've deserved every speeding ticket, and whenever I pass the 10k "safety mark" I know it could very well mean another suspended license... And it has, three times.