REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
I don't get it

b16a2

i have a b16a2 that i plan on boosting in the future, while i have it out of the car, what parts will i have to upgrade to be able to handle anywhere from 5-9 pounds of boost?
Advertisement
smokinloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

For such low boost pressure you don't really have to upgrade the engine at all but a new headgasket and headstuds are a good idea. Proper maintenance is important too make sure it has good oil pressure and the timing belt isn't getting near it's replacement interval.
brine04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Sup loc! ARP head studs and rod bolts and nice, get your rods shotpeened and deepfreezed. Other then that you would have to go aftermarket, thats when money starts becoming your motors bestfriend
89 CRX B18 - SOLD
88 AWD Wagovan!! - SOLD
92 Civic A6/Y8 - CRUSHED/IN SHOP
isl_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If your planning on doing this yourself what your really going to need is research, honda-tech.com is one of the best places to start! Even if you take it to a shop to get the work done it will help if you can make informed decisions.
A few things to look up and decide,
ECU tunning, are you going to use EC tune, hondata, chrome
What size turbo t25, t3, t4, t3/t4 (I own a b16a2 and I recomend a t3)
What exhaust manifold are you using (log will be fine for low boost)
Size of injectors
What kind of clutch are you going to run when you burn that stock one out
Do you need engine work (anything under 10 pounds you should be fine)

Anyways good luck with the project

00 em1 - I/H/E, act hdss, koni coilover's, 17' konig helium's ... DD
97 ek - b16 swaped sleeper ... parted RIP
90 ef - I/E, rota slips, 140db stereo ... sold & missed
91 ef - sold
00EM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
I don't get it

alrite sweet, i havent decided on what i am goin to tune the ecu with. as for injectors i was thinking about getting either 440 or 550, depending on what i would need as well as a larger fuel pump, and i am planning on getting a t3 turbo, and i have no idea what exhuaast manifold to use. i am going to try and do everything except tune it myself. and as for the clutch i am open to ideas as i am throwing this engine into a 1990 civic hb, i might get a stage 2 clutch maybe centerforce? any ideas and advice would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If this is going in a civic hatch, I would run low boost!! Unless its a track car drivability is going to be your biggest issue.
Run 5 to 7 pounds.
Unless your looking for flash under the hood just get a log (basic cast iron) manifold.
440 injectors should be fine.
If your running lower boost your fuel pump should be fine
I would personally run a act 6 puck with a hd pressure plate, but thats my opinion.
With this setup you shouldn't have to touch the motor, drive it for a while then if you get bored of it boost it more.

Make sure you research, and make realistic power, money, and time goals. Remember you will be lucky to get 20% of the money back on all these mods when you sell it.
GL with the project, and make sure you post up pics of progress

00 em1 - I/H/E, act hdss, koni coilover's, 17' konig helium's ... DD
97 ek - b16 swaped sleeper ... parted RIP
90 ef - I/E, rota slips, 140db stereo ... sold & missed
91 ef - sold
00EM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
I don't get it

ya im building this hatch more or less for a toy on the weekends and such, and i dont plan on goin past 7 or 8 pounds of boost, i am going to make my engine bay look as clean as possible but i dont care for flash, wat ever manifold would be best for my application, any suggestions? and also any suggestions wat tranny i should start looking for? i want something with a little higher gear range like an LS or something
Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Ok coming from someone who ran 15psi on a stock B16A2 you don't have to do anything for only 9lbs. Upgrade your clutch and check your timing belt. I would also keep the A2 tranny and NOT go to an LS. LS is only good if your making a lot more power than your going to be making. The weak part on that motor is the ringlands on the pistons but only after extended high boost. You will be fine under 10lbs.

Berz out.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Ok coming from someone who ran 15psi on a stock B16A2 you don't have to do anything for only 9lbs. Upgrade your clutch and check your timing belt. I would also keep the A2 tranny and NOT go to an LS. LS is only good if your making a lot more power than your going to be making. The weak part on that motor is the ringlands on the pistons but only after extended high boost. You will be fine under 10lbs.

Berz out.

Exactly. 440's or 550's will be fine, I'd do the fuel pump, its cheap and easy. If the motors out of the car, why not do the timing belt, and water pump just to save your ass down the road.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
440s will be more than enough and fuel pump stock can handle it but a 255 never hurts for the price.

Berz out.