REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Multi Vitamin for men

Do any of you guys take a multi vitamin everday? If so what brand? I'm traveling overseas for a while and i want to ensure im still getting a proper dose of vitamins and minerals.

Any quality recomendations?

rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
I take these

http://www.gummybearvitamins.com/
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
I use Men's One a Day. It is available everywhere, inexpensive, and seems to absorb well
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Don't get cheap multivitamins, where the main goal is to simply pack as many cheap "vitamins" into one pill and sell them cheaply.

But nobody will listen to me when I say this, so I don't know why I bother.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Don't get cheap multivitamins, where the main goal is to simply pack as many cheap "vitamins" into one pill and sell them cheaply.

so what brand do you recommend?
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:

Actually, im 100% going to listen to you as i wrote in my post i want quality reccomendations. I'm trekking in the himilaya's for a couple months on a restrictive diet so its important for me.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,335 Times in 5,646 Posts
GNC's megamen is pretty good, i actually would feel the boost from them when i took them before, although now i'm just taking like 20 different pills

also "animal pak" is supposidely the best, they are individual packs of vitamins making up a multi mix
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #8

If you're serious about buying a good multi, take a look at this.

Or more general advice: Avoid any multivitamin that can pack everything into one tablet. Unless said tablet is the size of your thumb. My recommendation would be to take any vitamin you are considering, and compare it against Poliquin's product.

I think decent solutions that aren't so expensive that are worth considering are Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition and Adam, by Now. I am using ON now, it's not the best, but it's reasonably priced (that's what it all comes down to, isn't it? ). Dosage is 3 tablets per day. It matches up with Poliquin's well, except for a few things You might also want to consider taking Greens+ with you on your trip. Eat lots of fruit and veggies if you can (clean them well first), and avoid rice and wheat.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Yes, definitely avoid the cheap shit in all the supermarkets. I don't take a multivitamin b/c i supplement some vit/min individually now, but an expensive yet quality option is AOR. There are some better than supermarket brand stuff (and well priced) at places like iherb.com. You can use DIS739 as the coupon code to save 5 bucks. Helps me out too.

Also, since you're a guy, you may want to get one without iron. Males don't need as much iron as females, and high lron intake over time isn't good.
WakeMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

general rules: do not buy centrum, kirkland, londondrug brand, and jamisons...etc
Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

ON's opti men.
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
whats this "double X" product that i've been hearing about?
i got a friend who is taking it, and apprently its sold by some pyramid scheme
i hate those things, but are the product any good?
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #13

No.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

For those saying don't buy brand X or brand Y, is there any specific reason for it? I'm just curious as to why certain brands are to be avoided. What's the reasoning behind it if they all provide the same units of specific vitamins and is there any research to back up why we should use specific brands?
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #15

Quote:

Or more general advice: Avoid any multivitamin that can pack everything into one tablet. Unless said tablet is the size of your thumb. My recommendation would be to take any vitamin you are considering, and compare it against Poliquin's product.

I think decent solutions that aren't so expensive that are worth considering are Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition and Adam, by Now. I am using ON now, it's not the best, but it's reasonably priced (that's what it all comes down to, isn't it? ). Dosage is 3 tablets per day. It matches up with Poliquin's well, except for a few things You might also want to consider taking Greens+ with you on your trip. Eat lots of fruit and veggies if you can (clean them well first), and avoid rice and wheat.
Thanks for the advice. I actually take Greens+ already. I'm never tired with that magic potion.

Two questions, can I purchase Poliquins locally or just online?

And secondly, very curious, why do you suggest not eating rice and wheat. My Nepalese diet is unfortunately going to consist of a lot of starchy foods as im doing some 20 odd day treks through the mountains staying at tea houses or camping. Why should I avoid rice and wheat?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslater View Post
Thanks for the advice. I actually take Greens+ already. I'm never tired with that magic potion.

Two questions, can I purchase Poliquins locally or just online?

And secondly, very curious, why do you suggest not eating rice and wheat. My Nepalese diet is unfortunately going to consist of a lot of starchy foods as im doing some 20 odd day treks through the mountains staying at tea houses or camping. Why should I avoid rice and wheat?
Let's not get started on that here

The Nepalese diet shouldn't be too bad, unless you are eating like a peasant... You will see a lot of curries, including meat and veggies. Nepalese food is good, like a combination of Chinese and Indian. You'll enjoy it!

As for why not buy a cheap garbage multivitamin, read this.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
As for why not buy a cheap garbage multivitamin, read this.
Do you have something from an independent source? Reading something from a manufacturer is usually more marketing spin than actual fact.

I'm not saying that what they're claiming isn't true - I'd probably be more inclined to believe it if it came from a source that doesn't stand to gain from by using scare tactics to scare people into using their product.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Do you have something from an independent source? Reading something from a manufacturer is usually more marketing spin than actual fact.

I'm not saying that what they're claiming isn't true - I'd probably be more inclined to believe it if it came from a source that doesn't stand to gain from by using scare tactics to scare people into using their product.
You'll have to look for yourself then, if you don't believe them. Or just buy garbage and see how it does for you
Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #19
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,335 Times in 5,646 Posts
Quote:

do you order that from that site? if so how much do you usually order and do you take the 8 throughout the day or what
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:

lots of companies make story's up so u buy there products
don't be fooled buy the take 8 multi vitamins a day because 600000% of your vit d or c is not enough.. THEY WANT YOUR MONEYS
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

animal pak is supposed to be the best and thats what I take (If I even take anything) but there are quite a few pills in one package. and they smell nasty sort of like dog food but really strong.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post
animal pak is supposed to be the best and thats what I take (If I even take anything) but there are quite a few pills in one package. and they smell nasty sort of like dog food but really strong.
you piss most of that stuff out
also they are pretty pricey
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
For those saying don't buy brand X or brand Y, is there any specific reason for it? I'm just curious as to why certain brands are to be avoided. What's the reasoning behind it if they all provide the same units of specific vitamins and is there any research to back up why we should use specific brands?
There are independnet testing/trials, and clinical tests results. Most companys out there has neither of those.
Why dont they do these tests? because their moneys are spend on mass marketing instead of focusing on whether the products works or not.

If i were to take some special supplements I would want the ones that a doctor would prescribe and know that its been clinically proven.

I don't see my family doctor for supplements because they know little or nothing about vitamins and nutrition. My family use a Naturopathic doctor and they prescribe them for us. At least i know i am getting stuff that has worked or been working from a doctor's office, and not just something someone tried to pyramid market me
Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
im taking Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
do you order that from that site? if so how much do you usually order and do you take the 8 throughout the day or what
No, I can't afford that stuff. Like I said, it all comes down to price. I don't buy the most expensive stuff, but I don't buy the cheapest either. I use Opti-Men.