REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Help with 2010 GTR

Hi,

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to ask, but I couldn't find a better place for it.

Any car enthusiast here with experience in custom installs (e.g. laser detectors) who is interested in helping out with an installation of a rear-camera and a laser detector on 2010 GTR? I am an engineer myself but I haven't done installs before, so I thought it would be nice if I can find someone who is interested to help. Once the system is on, we will go for a test with a laser gun.

I don't want to take it to an install shop and pay half a grant for something I can ultimately do myself; plus I think it will be a fun thing to do, and I want to be involved and hopefully learn something.

Also, please comment if you have any advice or you can refer me to someone or some place if you think this is not the right place to ask.
Advertisement
gtrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
it's a 2010 car you will be very surprised how much crap you get into if you take anything apart.

you don't wanna fix a gundam yourself.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #3

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
who needs a rear camera seriously.

Women?

Laser detector i can understand, but wouldn't all the luxurious car with laser guided cruise control mess up detector on the highway?
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrrr View Post
Hi,

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to ask, but I couldn't find a better place for it.

Any car enthusiast here with experience in custom installs (e.g. laser detectors) who is interested in helping out with an installation of a rear-camera and a laser detector on 2010 GTR? I am an engineer myself but I haven't done installs before, so I thought it would be nice if I can find someone who is interested to help. Once the system is on, we will go for a test with a laser gun.

I don't want to take it to an install shop and pay half a grant for something I can ultimately do myself; plus I think it will be a fun thing to do, and I want to be involved and hopefully learn something.

Also, please comment if you have any advice or you can refer me to someone or some place if you think this is not the right place to ask.
You have a 100K car and you don't want to pay a shop to do a "custom install" for you. You'd rather ask strangers off an internet forum to help with this custom install of yours. Payment for said "help" will be a ride in your car to test lidar detection. You haven't done installs before but it's something you think you can ultimately do yourself. Right...ok...good luck with that.
Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
it's a 2010 car you will be very surprised how much crap you get into if you take anything apart.

you don't wanna fix a gundam yourself.

hk20000, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind. Though I have most of the installation information and it's all about passing a few wires. The mechanical parts are quite simple for almost all the parts. What I don't know how to do is running the wires properly, which I think should be quite straightforward for someone with the experience.

Last edited by gtrrr; 08-10-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
http://www.mygtr.com/forum/

you should be able to get your answer there, cuz it's doubtful you'll get it here.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #7

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
there's one principle and one principle only when you run wires: run them where nobody sees them.

The rest is fair game. a Super pretty install and a ghetto install under a piece of carpet looks like a piece of carpet.

yes I'm just playin' you should definitely run the wires with more discretion.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
who needs a rear camera seriously.

Women?

Laser detector i can understand, but wouldn't all the luxurious car with laser guided cruise control mess up detector on the highway?

shenmecar, adding a rear-camera doesn't make me feel insecure about my driving the slightest! it's a pretty useful feature, and even thought I didn't think it's that important in the past, when I had it in my previous car I realized how bad the rear vision of most drivers are. it's not about a simple task of parallel parking (which 90% of vancoverites fail to do properly anyway), but about being aware of your surrounding without having to look at three different mirrors and still leave blind spots! plus, when my younger sister with few years of driving experience wants to take my car for a ride, i feel a lot more safe that the car will be back without a dent (it's a low car; hitting curbs are easy).
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post

Oh, and I forgot to say, the cruise controls (particularly on Infiniti) as well as parking door openers can mess up with it, but just like everything else hi-tech, there are solutions for it. I've done a thorough research on this, and I don't think I'll have too much problem with the system falsing. If anyone was interested, I can give them some pointers.

Last edited by gtrrr; 08-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post
You have a 100K car and you don't want to pay a shop to do a "custom install" for you. You'd rather ask strangers off an internet forum to help with this custom install of yours. Payment for said "help" will be a ride in your car to test lidar detection. You haven't done installs before but it's something you think you can ultimately do yourself. Right...ok...good luck with that.

Yes, I paid 120k (you forgot tax and other fees) for a GTR, and am now adding $4000 worth of gadgets, but I cannot afford a $500 install job. But you know what's worse? I'm here begging someone like YOU for "help"!!!

Seriously, what's with the attitude? You don't have to reply if you don't get it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

hahaha it's revscene. Everyone has a problem with everyone else.

Revscene is very different than before. Now it's all haters and people with altitude problems. It's not really the best place to ask for help.
Rikaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Yes, I paid 120k (you forgot tax and other fees) for a GTR, and am now adding $4000 worth of gadgets, but I cannot afford a $500 install job. But you know what's worse? I'm here begging someone like YOU for "help"!!!

Seriously, what's with the attitude? You don't have to reply if you don't get it.
People just jealous you can afford a 120k car. If you had said you drove a civic, everyone would say they can hook you up.
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

2010 gtr doesnt come wit rearview cam ?
MDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Hmm... Lets see pics so we know what we're dealing with.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

watch out, you could void your warranty if you mess something up.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by navi187 View Post
2010 gtr doesnt come wit rearview cam ?
The Japanese spec does, but it is not an option in Canada unfortunately.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #17

Rikaro, thanks for the note.

jeff_alexander, maybe i should have said it's a civic, and then surprise them with the GTR

GordonTse, that's a good point; I'll call my dealer before touching the car, but I think I hinted at doing something like this when I bought the car and they didn't seem to have a concern.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehustla View Post
Hmm... Lets see pics so we know what we're dealing with.
Cannot do attachments, but here is one:
http://tinypic.com/r/e6ow10/3
Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
private modder

Thanked 2,646 Times in 740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_alexander View Post
People just jealous you can afford a 120k car. If you had said you drove a civic, everyone would say they can hook you up.
There's nothing jealous about it. Guy with $120k car wants free help to install accessories. No kidding someone is going to call him out on that.

If he had a $20k car, the request is a lot more logical.

Don't act like you've never been on the internet before...
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #20
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
the issue you are dealing with is the warranty on the GTR.

its been documented that nissan will void your warranty if u fart the wrong way in ur GTR.

you should post this in the audio tech forum.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
haha I see a UBC parking permit.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
the issue you are dealing with is the warranty on the GTR.

its been documented that nissan will void your warranty if u fart the wrong way in ur GTR.
you should post this in the audio tech forum.
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #23
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I think i've seen you parked at UBC by the townhomes that are close to east mall. I remember I made eye contact with the driver and he was wearing glasses
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
Need to Seek Professional Help

if you can afford the car, you can afford the install. and if your powered by mom and dad, just get them to pay for it.
call the dealer to make sure it doesnt void your warrenty.

nuff said
Old 08-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #25
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
back off on the guy,

some ppl just like DIY...myself included.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote