REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   shiny suit (https://www.revscene.net/forums/585473-shiny-suit.html)

Kamui712 08-11-2009 10:25 AM

shiny suit

What are your opinions on suits that have a little shine to them?

It's for a wedding, I'm the bride's brother but I don't have any big roles. It's a slim fit suit, fits perfectly.

My sis and her finace dont' like it they say shiny looks cheap.I honestly see nothing wrong it with it, but seeing as how it's my sister's wedding I don't want to show up looking tacky.

so here's the blazer:

No flash from camera:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...2/IMG_4865.jpg

flash from camera:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...2/IMG_4867.jpg

unit 08-11-2009 10:50 AM

NO
you will show up looking tacky.

nosleepboy87 08-11-2009 12:49 PM

how shiny is it?
cuz brushed cotton suits have a lil' shine to them and i don't think it looks tacky

but if its really shinny....itz going to be tacky

Harvey Specter 08-11-2009 03:03 PM

Doesn't look shiny at all. I don't see anything wrong with wearing this suit to a wedding. What designer is it?

sonick 08-11-2009 03:04 PM

+1, not sure what it's really made of, but shiny usually = made of synthetic material (polyester, etc.), low-quality wool, or has not been washed properly.

Synthetic material suits = crap. Where's that suit from, Mexx?

WHEYsted 08-11-2009 07:47 PM

Haha it's tacky as hell. When is the wedding? If you have enough time you can head down to the states to get a cheap designer suit.

Edit: Plus if your sister and her fiance have already gone against it. It's better that you take whatever advice they give you and not us.

sonick 08-11-2009 08:19 PM

Or go to Zara and get a 100% wool suit, run for about $400.

Harvey Specter 08-11-2009 09:39 PM

I would never pay $400 for a Zara suit, they're beyond awful and should be priced for $99. Like nonamehustla posted, go down to the states and buy yourself a high quality designer suit. You get yourself a black, slim fit hugo boss suit for $700 in Seattle.

sonick 08-11-2009 09:42 PM

HA RIGHT... Hugo Boss or any other sub-$1000 "designer suit" is no better than the shitty fused shit at Zara with $300 markup on it.

At least some of the Zara ones are actually half to fully canvassed (learn more about fused vs. canvassed). Sure it may be done by some fancy new-fangled machine, but it still provides better drape and alteration options being fully canvassed than the glued together shit from Hugo Boss and Armani that Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew sells.

Don't mistake Zara for the same stuff you find at Mexx, Tip Top, or The Bay (including Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, Lauren by Ralph Lauren and Kenneth Cole). Zara's fits are superbly better than any of those, use better materials, and are constructed better.

In the end, its all about fit and how you wear it. H&M's suits fit awesomely on skinny dudes; like Justin Timberlake's suits. I can wear a $150 H&M suit and look better than the yuppie douchebag wearing their altered-to-hell Emporio Armani suit with unbuttoned surgeon's cuffs from Harry Rosen.

bcrdukes 08-11-2009 10:16 PM

You talk like you're a sartorialist. There's a difference between how something looks, fits, and feels. You can't get all that in a suit from Zara. No way in fucking hell. Try again.. :lol

nosleepboy87 08-11-2009 11:02 PM

H&M...r u serious? there stuff is seriouslly garbage....and don't go to harry's or holts for designer labels either...just go to a tailor and have a suit made for you....its the best suit money can buy. you pick your material and they measure you and make a suit that is for you body type.

unit 08-11-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6543200)
HA RIGHT... Hugo Boss or any other sub-$1000 "designer suit" is no better than the shitty fused shit at Zara with $300 markup on it.

At least some of the Zara ones are actually half to fully canvassed (learn more about fused vs. canvassed). Sure it may be done by some fancy new-fangled machine, but it still provides better drape and alteration options being fully canvassed than the glued together shit from Hugo Boss and Armani that Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew sells.

Don't mistake Zara for the same stuff you find at Mexx, Tip Top, or The Bay (including Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, Lauren by Ralph Lauren and Kenneth Cole). Zara's fits are superbly better than any of those, use better materials, and are constructed better.

In the end, its all about fit and how you wear it. H&M's suits fit awesomely on skinny dudes; like Justin Timberlake's suits. I can wear a $150 H&M suit and look better than the yuppie douchebag wearing their altered-to-hell Emporio Armani suit with unbuttoned surgeon's cuffs from Harry Rosen.

im waiting for you to chime in with the 'JUST KIDDING'

zara quality was TERRIBLE last time i checked. i wouldnt spend over $100 there on anything.

sonick 08-11-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6543252)
You talk like you're a sartorialist. There's a difference between how something looks, fits, and feels. You can't get all that in a suit from Zara. No way in fucking hell. Try again.. :lol

I'm surprised somebody on RS knows the word Sartorial! IMHO, fit, look and feel are all related. If it doesn't fit, it won't look nor feel good (assuming good 'fit' is not an XXL Rocawear t-shirt).

Personally I find Zara fits better than anything else for the price. Everything else I've tried on are horribly oversized and boxy (I'm not tiny either, 5' 8" at 145lbs). Hugo Boss fits nice, yeah, but not $300 nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosleepboy87 (Post 6543312)
H&M...r u serious? there stuff is seriouslly garbage....and don't go to harry's or holts for designer labels either...just go to a tailor and have a suit made for you....its the best suit money can buy. you pick your material and they measure you and make a suit that is for you body type.

H&M is garbage quality, but I gotta say their shit fits better than anything else out there for slim dudes.

+1 on not going to Harrys or Holts. MTM or Bespoke is always best; better yet to go Hong Kong and get it done for cheap!

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6543319)
im waiting for you to chime in with the 'JUST KIDDING'

zara quality was TERRIBLE last time i checked. i wouldnt spend over $100 there on anything.

$400 on a suit is nothing. It may not be a Canali, but you could do much worse for the price tag.

Kamui712 08-12-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri (Post 6542702)
Doesn't look shiny at all. I don't see anything wrong with wearing this suit to a wedding. What designer is it?

I ordered this suit from Korea since their sizing is smaller than US sizing. I'm actually a jacket size 34-36 and I can't find anything that small here unless I go bespoke.

I'm 5'4 and 120lbs.

hmm wedding's not for another month... I could always just rent a suit if they have them that small. US is out of the question at the minute I'm a little strapped for cash since tuition just raped me.

Any suggestions for someone my size?

Harvey Specter 08-12-2009 03:53 AM

Damn, that's a small size. It's going to be tough to find a size that small at stores like H&M, etc... Maybe try some online stores based out of Asia?

And I honestly don't mind shiny suits; Tom Ford had a nice black shiny suit during his Gucci days a few years back and a few designers have their own versions of shiny suits. There's a time and place to wear one, a wedding could be one of them depending on how you pull it off and trust me, I've seen far worst suits at wedding receptions then a shiny suit.

From a few days ago;
http://poponthepop.com/images/galler...ff_472x720.jpg

SkinnyPupp 08-12-2009 04:17 AM

Please don't tell this 120 lbs dude that he can go to a wedding dressed like Brad Pitt :lol

sonick 08-12-2009 05:41 AM

Locally for a 34, either Hugo Boss for nearly $1000, or H&M for $150. Seriously.

unit 08-12-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri (Post 6543523)
Damn, that's a small size. It's going to be tough to find a size that small at stores like H&M, etc... Maybe try some online stores based out of Asia?

And I honestly don't mind shiny suits; Tom Ford had a nice black shiny suit during his Gucci days a few years back and a few designers have their own versions of shiny suits. There's a time and place to wear one, a wedding could be one of them depending on how you pull it off and trust me, I've seen far worst suits at wedding receptions then a shiny suit.

From a few days ago;
http://poponthepop.com/images/galler...ff_472x720.jpg

the difference is brad pitt is on the red carpet... this guy is at his sisters wedding where he'll stand out like a sore thumb. you dont really want to make a fashion statement at a wedding.

WHEYsted 08-12-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco712 (Post 6543398)
I ordered this suit from Korea since their sizing is smaller than US sizing. I'm actually a jacket size 34-36 and I can't find anything that small here unless I go bespoke.

I'm 5'4 and 120lbs.

hmm wedding's not for another month... I could always just rent a suit if they have them that small. US is out of the question at the minute I'm a little strapped for cash since tuition just raped me.

Any suggestions for someone my size?

My brother is the same weight as you..................he's in grade 8.

sas 08-16-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Personally I find Zara fits better than anything else for the price. Everything else I've tried on are horribly oversized and boxy (I'm not tiny either, 5' 8" at 145lbs). Hugo Boss fits nice, yeah, but not $300 nice.
145lbs is pretty small. But I agree, if you are comparing to boss, they do a great job of emulating what is popular. It is only in Can, where you will find Boss suits run 1k. Where elsewhere, it is usually 600-700

liu13 08-16-2009 09:42 PM

^ i was just gonna say, 5'8 and 145, how thin are you

Gumby 08-18-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 6550096)
^ i was just gonna say, 5'8 and 145, how thin are you

I'm 5" taller, but only 10 lbs heavier... :(

bcrdukes 08-18-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 6550023)
145lbs is pretty small. But I agree, if you are comparing to boss, they do a great job of emulating what is popular. It is only in Can, where you will find Boss suits run 1k. Where elsewhere, it is usually 600-700

They're priced differently because they fit differently. I've found Boss suits in the US will fit like crap compared to what you would try on in Vancouver. Also, Boss suits are made in the USA as compared to Italy or *insert European country* where quality standards are higher, at least in my personal experience. YMMV.

sas 08-19-2009 10:55 PM

You shouldn't find that they fit like crap since most Boss Shops must certain carry bodies. You'll find the staples, like the gable/vegas, rosellini/movie, jam/sharp. Next time, just tell the sales person what you're looking for and you should find the exact same fit.

Everyone likes to knock Boss but they have quite a range of bodies to suit most people. I've fit everyone from hockey players to men with a teenager's body.

observer 08-28-2009 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco712 (Post 6542335)
What are your opinions on suits that have a little shine to them?

It's for a wedding, I'm the bride's brother but I don't have any big roles. It's a slim fit suit, fits perfectly.

My sis and her finace dont' like it they say shiny looks cheap.I honestly see nothing wrong it with it, but seeing as how it's my sister's wedding I don't want to show up looking tacky.

so here's the blazer:

No flash from camera:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...2/IMG_4865.jpg

flash from camera:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...2/IMG_4867.jpg

You can't go wrong with a black suit, white shirt and silver/grey tie.

Since you're not a movie or rock star, stay away from black shirt with black suits.