REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Former Premier Vander Zalm plans Anti HST Rally

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...hst-rally.html

Quote:
Former B.C. premier Bill Vander Zalm says he intends to launch an anti-HST campaign with a Sept. 19 rally in Vancouver.

Vander Zalm said Tuesday he believes outrage over the merger of B.C.'s sales tax with the federal GST will translate into support for petitions against the plan.

That puts the former Social Credit premier in league with his one-time political foes — the B.C. NDP — who started a province-wide petition against the harmonized sales tax July 31.

Vander Zalm said if 10 per cent of voters in each constituency in B.C. sign the petition, the provincial government would be required to hold a referendum on the issue.

B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell and provincial Finance Minister Colin Hansen went public July 23 with the government's plans to introduce the harmonized tax in the summer of 2010.

The plan has come under criticism from consumer and business groups and from members of both of B.C.'s dominant political parties.

Last week, Campbell's former deputy premier openly criticized the B.C. Liberal government's handling of the HST issue, saying the way it was introduced was "sneaky."

Christy Clark also said province was taking "a big bribe" from the federal government, which will provide B.C. $1.6 billion in transition funding if it goes to a harmonized tax
Fuck yeah! Go Bill Go.
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Good idea
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

so where do we go to sign this petition?

on a side note, the government has done a HORRIBLE job explaining what the benefits of HST would be, simply saying that it would be good for business and jobs in BC, and ignoring questions about how it will increase costs of living individuals and families. maybe if they had been open from the start, there wouldnt be such a backlash now.

edit: heres the link for the petition if you are interested in signing it: http://www.bcndp.ca/stopHST
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Island Mod

I agree, with the way the Liberals are going about this is sneaky. They keep saying how it will benifit business, jobs, and therefore us the people but I have yet to hear them really explain how that works otherthen it will save business money and that in turn will save us money but why aren't they really explaining how it will save money?
I would sign a petition at this point until I hear some information that could change my thougths on this.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
The argument is that it helps the businesses, therefore employees will benefit from increased wages.

Maybe. But not in the magnitude they make it seem like.

So you get a pay raise. Great, now you can afford to pay the tax hike on everything that wasn't taxed before.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I would have no problem with an HST if they also lowered the rate to say 10%, instead of 12%.
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

It's especially troubling to me to hear the Gov continue to say that it will help businesses in the wake of myriad business owners publicly voicing concerns about how much the HST is going to hurt them. Who knows the bottom line of small business more: the bureaucrats or the owners?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If he can get 10% of the population in each constituency to sign a petition there could be a referendum.
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

I like how one of the guys from the resteraunt accociations came out and said it would hurt them the most, and they are (all resteraunts combined in BC) a larger industry than oil & gas, forestry, etc
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
The other thing I don't like is that B.C. is essentially giving control of its tax revenue to the Federal government.

With the PST we keep our share here, with the HST we're relying on the federal government to give us our share.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote