REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
What rights do we have to protect our property?

So what rights exactly do us Canadians have to protect ourselves/cars/homes?

Someone breaks into our home while we are asleep... can you try to stop them with a golf club? then hog tie them to your shower with hot water while you wait for the police to arrive?

you wake up to someone attempting to break into your car, can you sneak up on them with a bat, zap strap them upsidedown to the stop sign and hang insulting billboard signs off their body?

What is our law, to protect ourselves/property and allowing a form a restraint until proper law enforcement arrives? Hypothetically speaking....

do they give up their rights of prosecuting you for assault or worse, since they were involved in a crime that caused it?
Advertisement

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

the threshold is/would be reasonable force from an objective stance.

now go wild and interpret that. this is why we have lawyers.

but to simply put it, you can be charged if you are found to have used "excessive" force.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
I'll be waiting for the answer as well, since some fucker broke into my car yesterday. I want to find out for future references.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 View Post

but to simply put it, you can be charged if you are found to have used "excessive" force.
That is the answer because it is totally situational and dynamic.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 View Post

in other words, shoot to maim....?
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Swing for the knees, not the head.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Yeah, i would do as much damage without breaking anything. The way i figure it, you break his arm, he will turn around and try sue you for excessive force. I dont even know if that can happen, but i remember one time, this junked out crack head who rented the basement of this house 2 down from me, they tried to evict him and the guy punched this old guy in the face and when the dad came to knock him out he kept yelling "go ahead hit me and ill sue you for everything your worth" In the end the guy ended up getting thrown through two fences and doenst live there anymore. A car full of people mid 20's showed up, tossed the guy around like a rag doll then sped off.

I thought it was funny. It would be cool to know. Living in surrey, B&E is something i think of all the time. Mostly i worry about my wheels getting stolen LOL. I would like to know if i saw somoene jacking my wheels, could i beat them to the ground then leave or do i have to alert the authorities?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Search for Citizen's Power of Arrest for details. You are required to turn the custody of the subject over to the authority forthwith.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

this is just one story. not posting to bash police, but to show that you can be charged for excessive force.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...f-alberta.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...hot-theif.html
Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
To be reasonable, I would say the majority of us will beat the shit outta a thief we caught stealing our shit, but we will definitely do it excessively. However, I think if the law doesn't protect the thieves as much, the thieves will think twice about committing a crime for the sake of their own lives; hence, crime rate will probably drop.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

stay down low.. let him take everything..and then cry on RS is the best solution
silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124Y View Post
To be reasonable, I would say the majority of us will beat the shit outta a thief we caught stealing our shit, but we will definitely do it excessively. However, I think if the law doesn't protect the thieves as much, the thieves will think twice about committing a crime for the sake of their own lives; hence, crime rate will probably drop.
i don't think that the laws in canada protect theives imo... and if somebody stole my stuff, obviously, me being angry, would want them behind bars for as long as possible. but there are many studies to show that having harsher sentences don't always mean lower crime. there are so many variables with crime rates, education levels, poverty... etc. just look at the states, they have much harsher sentences, but in many areas, their crime rates are much higher.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote