REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Buying Used Car - Pre-Purchase Inspection

Hey, I'm new here on the forum, and I could use your advice

I'm flying up to Kelowna to check out a Bimmer convertible. The seller and I have already agreed to a price based on a satisfactory test drive and possible pre-purchase inspection, with a signed document.

The seller has been up front about everything, and mentioned that a prospective buyer last weekend had a PPI done on the car, and found the following problems:

IMMEDIATE REPAIR: right rear wheel bearing
NEAR FUTURE REPAIR: front shocks are leaking, ball joints will need to be replaced, wipers need new blades

My question is: Upon being satisfied with the test drive, should I get another pre-purchase inspection, even though one was previously done a week prior? Do you think it would be worth the extra $100-150?

Thanks!
Advertisement
hidden-image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

On another note, any recommendations on shock/spring replacements? I'll be doing mostly highway driving, and I'd like to improve the handling, without having to slow to 2kmph to go over a speed bump. Model is a '98 BMW 328i
Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Do you trust the inspection done by some guy who didn't end up buying it... ? If it was MY money, NO. Spend the $ to get a full inspection and at very least they may give you a deal on that wheel bearing that needs immediate replacement.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for your response.

The seller is fixing the wheel bearing. Our agreed upon price was based on the repair of the wheel bearing so that I could test drive it.

Anyone from Kelowna, have a recommended shop that I could get the PPI done at? And if you know the price, that's even better!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Kelowna has a BMW dealership. Go to BCBimmers.com there are plenty of people from the interior that might be able to recommend a non dealership place.

If you want to change ride, the shock leaks / ball joints will need to be changed anyways.. order it from Turner Motorsports etc..

Wheel bearings are easy on e36s... however the bearing part is about 250 already.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Get it checked out by yourself at the BMW dealership or certified shop. This isn't a cheap investment, so an extra $200 that could possibly save you a massive headache is worth it.

Pay for the background, icbc check. Is it US imported? How many KM? Next major service? How much will that cost.

I did the same thing as you when I bought a car from kelowna. It probably cost me around $250 for background, icbc check, compression check at the dealership..etc...etc. I did everything I could and I was satisfied with the results.

edit: that's an 11-year car so buyer beware...
editx2: I assume you are from vancouver area so if everything looks good and you are satisfied, try to negotiate your airfare to kelowna so you can drive it down...instead of getting a buddy to tag?

Good luck!
Remember this is a huge investment on your behalf.

Last edited by vo_hantu; 08-21-2009 at 07:30 AM.
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote