REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Breakdown Warning Devices

When I am not responding to column suggestions I take my inspiration from watching what is going on around me when I drive. The other day I almost turned around to warn a mother and child sitting on the concrete barrier in front of a broken down van towing a tent trailer. Even if the trailer was not stopped partly into the traveled lane I know from investigating collisions that they were at greater risk than they realized.

A kit consisting of at least two reflective orange triangles could have improved these people's safety considerably. Placed at least 4 seconds travel time to the rear, at the rear and halfway in between, three triangles would have given approaching traffic a clue that something hazardous was ahead, especially at night. It's a small investment that could even save a life.

Motorhomes and commercial vehicles that carry more than 10 passengers or are over 2.3 meters in width registered in British Columbia are required to carry approved warning devices. These must consist of devices meant for use during darkness and two red flags of at least 30 by 30 centimeters in size or two warning devices meant for daytime use. Proper warning triangles meet both requirements.

If you break down and put out your warnings, staying in the vehicle or sitting nearby like these people did may not be a good idea. In this case waiting on the other side of the barrier from the traffic would have been better, and well off the roadway would have been best. Of course, sometimes weather or other conditions may not permit this, but think twice about remaining closer to traffic than you really need to.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I remember opening a box in the Truck I used to drive and seeing those reflective triangles that you mentioned. Thankfully, I never had to use them.
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

The law requiring drivers to move over to pass stopped emergency vehicles should apply to broken down vehicles too.

Several times in the last few days I have observed drivers come very close to broken down vehicles on the freeway.

Two days ago on the way to the airport, I spotted a broken down vehicle stopped in the right shoulder. I moved over into the left lane, and the driver of a grey Honda Odyssey decided it would be a good time to undertake, passing me as he was passing the broken down vehicle.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote