REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   US speeding tickets.. Now what?! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587032-us-speeding-tickets-now-what.html)

300zxfairlady 08-25-2009 06:17 PM

US speeding tickets.. Now what?!

So last month I had gotten 2 speeding tickets while coming back from Seattle. I heard from a couple people that I just shouldnt even bother paying for the tickets.. So I didnt. Today I got a notice in the mail saying they added a $52 penalty, and will result in the suspension of my drivers liscense untill fees are paid in full. Balance will be forwarded to a collection agency..

Should I pay off my fees are just leave it as is? And how the hell are they suposed to suspend my drivers liscense If I live in Canada?! Would this issue arrise If i try and cross the border??

Im so confused!:confused:

InvisibleSoul 08-25-2009 06:46 PM

Whoever told you that you shouldn't bother paying the tickets are dumbasses.

I don't think they can suspend your license, but if you get stopped by the police in the US next time, you'll get thrown in jail.

tiger_handheld 08-25-2009 08:58 PM

dosn't BC and Washington states have some partnership where they enforce each others violation tix?

wing_woo 08-25-2009 09:09 PM

Don't know about Washington, but I thought Oregon does and if you don't pay the fine in Oregon, you can't renew your insurance. I could be wrong though.

falcon 08-25-2009 09:29 PM

i had this happen. your license will not be valid in WA if you don't pay up and they will toss you in jail (that part didn't happen to me though :D)..

and pay up now before it goes to collections... it becomes quite a bit more $$ once that happens.

CRS 08-25-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zxfairlady (Post 6563236)
So last month I had gotten 2 speeding tickets while coming back from Seattle. I heard from a couple people that I just shouldnt even bother paying for the tickets.. So I didnt. Today I got a notice in the mail saying they added a $52 penalty, and will result in the suspension of my drivers liscense untill fees are paid in full. Balance will be forwarded to a collection agency..

Should I pay off my fees are just leave it as is? And how the hell are they suposed to suspend my drivers liscense If I live in Canada?! Would this issue arrise If i try and cross the border??

:lol

:gotsearch

Dragon-88 08-26-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zxfairlady (Post 6563236)

Just pay the damn thing its all your fault to begin with...

300zxfairlady 08-26-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 6564190)
Just pay the damn thing its all your fault to begin with...

$380US ticket for going 35 miles in a 30 mile zone ?
That cant be justified dude..

JHatta 08-26-2009 01:16 PM

You should definitely smack the person who told you not to pay the ticket in the back of the head a few times.

They just got collections on your ass, and possible suspension of license. Suck it up and pay it...unless you want to appear in court in the states.

Beefball 08-27-2009 07:42 PM

If the 30 mile zone is a construction zone... then the fine doubles...
So... the fine for speeding is $190 x 2 = $380 usd, clear?
Pay it or don't goto the states ever again

CRS 08-27-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefball (Post 6566972)
If the 30 mile zone is a construction zone... then the fine doubles...
So... the fine for speeding is $190 x 2 = $380 usd, clear?
Pay it or don't goto the states ever again

Actually, go to the states, get caught and then.....

You go to jail, bad boy!

TripleXXX 08-31-2009 06:26 AM

I had this problem before, just change your license plate. I can cross the border with no problem.

CRS 08-31-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleXXX (Post 6571224)
I had this problem before, just change your license plate. I can cross the border with no problem.

Don't think that that would be the issue.

What happens if you're pulled over for speeding and the cop gets your license? Unless you transformed into a new person, you're still going to go to jail.

With this logic, it is like killing someone infront of a room filled with cops. Then you go and change your shirt thinking it will make a difference when they see you again.

saucywoman 08-31-2009 07:55 AM

wow you should really use the search button as this seems to come up once a year. My friend was caught speeding down there about 7 years ago, he didn't pay and eventually they sent a letter to his house stating there was a warrant out for his arrest down there. His parents got ahold of this letter, took him down there and he spent a week in jail and iirc paid about $1000.

sho_bc 08-31-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 6571300)
My friend was caught speeding down there about 7 years ago, he didn't pay and eventually they sent a letter to his house stating there was a warrant out for his arrest down there. His parents got ahold of this letter, took him down there and he spent a week in jail and iirc paid about $1000.

I'm glad there are still some parents who aren't afraid of instilling some life-lesson discipline into their kids.

Speed2K 08-31-2009 09:04 AM

If the amount that needs to be paid is the primary concern, just call and ask for a reduction. My friend also got two tickets. He asked for a reduction for one ticket and paid them both. Now he's kind of on probation for three years. If he gets another ticket in WA in the next three years they'll bump that original ticket back up to the original dollar amount.

You don't want it to go to collections, it will hurt your credit history.

Speed2K 08-31-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6571386)
I'm glad there are still some parents who aren't afraid of instilling some life-lesson discipline into their kids.

Lol, I agree, although maybe they thought if they paid up all would be fine and they didn't expect that their son would need to spend any time behind bars.

shenmecar 08-31-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zxfairlady (Post 6564679)
$380US ticket for going 35 miles in a 30 mile zone ?
That cant be justified dude..

Too bad, speeding is speeding, now pay up.

300zxfairlady 08-31-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 6571395)
If the amount that needs to be paid is the primary concern, just call and ask for a reduction. My friend also got two tickets. He asked for a reduction for one ticket and paid them both. Now he's kind of on probation for three years. If he gets another ticket in WA in the next three years they'll bump that original ticket back up to the original dollar amount.

You don't want it to go to collections, it will hurt your credit history.

Ya im just ganna ask for a reduction. funny thing is.. iv been driving for 7 years and have never got pulled over in vancouver, everytime i go to the states i always get a ticket!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6571576)
Too bad, speeding is speeding, now pay up.

So your telling me youv NEVER went above the max. speed limits.. ever?
Youv never gone past 80KM/ on highway 1?
Youv never gone past 50KM/hr on marine?

Yes i was driving past the max limit, but i wasnt SPEEDING. How is 35 Miles/hr considered speeding?

underscore 08-31-2009 06:05 PM

^ well for starters 35>30. We learned that in like kindergarten. You might also wanna pay attention to the fact that you keep getting tickets down there and drive a little safer when you're there. Keeping the habit when you come back home is never a bad idea either.

falcon 08-31-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 6571300)
wow you should really use the search button as this seems to come up once a year. My friend was caught speeding down there about 7 years ago, he didn't pay and eventually they sent a letter to his house stating there was a warrant out for his arrest down there. His parents got ahold of this letter, took him down there and he spent a week in jail and iirc paid about $1000.

I call bs.

I had a "warrant" out for my arrest as well. as soon as I paid the ticket it went away. I even called the DMV down there and the police to make sure it was clear. I've crossed the border like 10 times since then and been through a road block. No problems thus far...

TRDood 08-31-2009 08:21 PM

can you just change your license plate?
haha

SlowRider 09-01-2009 04:27 AM

i got caught racing a train in washington .. got a speeding ticket.... havent bothered to pay it .....its now gone and forgotton ...
i think its 7 years they erase any records of un-paid fines ,,,

zulutango 09-01-2009 06:37 AM

Racing a train? Were you bracket racing again!!!?????

Dragon-88 09-01-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zxfairlady (Post 6571960)
Ya im just ganna ask for a reduction. funny thing is.. iv been driving for 7 years and have never got pulled over in vancouver, everytime i go to the states i always get a ticket!

So your telling me youv NEVER went above the max. speed limits.. ever?
Youv never gone past 80KM/ on highway 1?
Youv never gone past 50KM/hr on marine?

Yes i was driving past the max limit, but i wasnt SPEEDING. How is 35 Miles/hr considered speeding?

Well in the states driving 1MPH over speed limit will get you caught.. Its known that US cops give no leeway for us canadians.. Ever drive past the border on the hwy and notice most people pulled over are from BC.... That because we have that leeway over here were we are allowed to drive 10km over the speed limit at a certain extent.(you can still get busted for this, but chances are less likely). Now put that into US tems.. Imagine going 30MPH and then doing 35MPH thats like almost an additional 10km/h over the speed limit.. Plus the fact that they know we are going to go over the speed limit cause thats what we do in canada...