REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Pedestrian Courtesy

Does anyone ever honk at pedestrians who J-walk in front of you, or rev your engine at them?

I do this occasionally and i wonder if it's wrong, I'm hugely considerate of drivers when i am a pedestrian and I just expect the same courtesy, Is this acceptable behaviour?

I don't ever want to run pedestrians over, but just to inform them, I also don't want to scare someone so that they trip while J-walking in the middle of the street, but flipping the bird or screaming at ppl through my window is okay i guess?

What's your mature opinion on inconsiderate pedestrians? what do you do? ignore them?
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Do you still have your L?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

haha yup...

maybe thats why my tolerance is so bad
I should take a young drivers course...
Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
In asia, you honk more than you hit the brake
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

More like, your supervisor didn't say anything when you did that?

On a sidenote, I don't honk or speedup... unless it's a crackhead jaywalking in the DTES, then I'd speed up.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
F**K YOUR HEAD

^oh icic i just responded, AIN'T NOTHIN TO IT, GANGSTA RAP MADE ME DO IT!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
I'll only get upset if I see someone doing something really stupid, like the other month a older asian guy jay walking across a busy 4 lanes of kingsway right before victoria with his young daughters who were so young they could barely walk, a truck almost hit them, I ended up slowing down and yelling at him to use the crosswalk for his daughters' safety.

and the other more common ones are when im in parking lots and trying to park, like literally reversing or going head into my parking spot only to have a pedestrian casually stroll right through the middle of the parking spot as if i'm not even there, bad enough where i have to slam on my brakes or hit them....

for some reason pedestrians have this idea in their head that they have the complete right of way no matter the situation, I mean common sense would dictate that it's a lot harder to stop a hunk of metal that weighs a few thousand pounds as opposed to a pedestrian just not taking that extra step or two and letting the car pass where the car clearly has the right of way.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

People are stupid... honking or whatever won't change their ways.

No point in getting yourself all worked up over it. Someone else who isn't so courteous as you will run them down
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

I think for most of us it depends on how we're feeling.

Good day, got laid, got a raise, friday = Smile and wave the person over

Bad day, sexually frustrated, bad day at work, monday =

[youtube]KFU6ONiTO-g[/youtube]
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
F**K YOUR HEAD

and if they j-walk don't they not have the right of way? I can sorta understand in a parking lot, it's hard not to be in the way of drivers sometimes though
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

I just throw water bottles at them

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
F**K YOUR HEAD

but isn't that assault? or Littering?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

you shouldnt speed up or let jay walkers get too close. some people have survive off settlement loans. they'll jump in front of your car to intentionally get hit, and without witnesses to see that it's completely intentional (passengers dont count), lets just say hope you got some good coverage
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
racing & tech mod.

Some people are retarded whether they're walking or driving or riding a bicylce. Nothing you can do about it but just watch out for them and try not to get in an accident.

Honking usually leaves them clueless, I'd only honk if you need to get their attention to prevent them getting run over because you can't stop fast enough/etc.. if they're doing something really stupid, an angry WTF look with direct eye contact is usually more successful in getting the point accross.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #15
F**K YOUR HEAD

I prefer the open window profanity and bird flipping
Old 08-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I prefer the open window profanity and bird flipping
after a few years (or months depending on which city you drive in), you'll come to realize that getting angry is tiring and not worth your time. only until you feel the need to vent your daily frustration at the next thing that pisses you off is when you'll start yell profanities
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
WHAT THE FUCK MAN THE GOD DAMN CROSS WALK IS RIGHT THERE WOW ARE U FUCKING RETARDED
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
I hate it when the pedestrians in Downtown ignores the flashing red hand and continues to walk and I have to wait for them, especially when making a left turn. There are times when the red flashing hand becomes solid and my light becomes yellow, forcing me to make my left turn, only seeing remaining pedestrians still striving across the street. That's when I honk @ them to let them know they should GTFO while I make my turn and scare the shit outta them with my HKS SSQV.
If I see an old lady walking slowly, I would be courteous though even if they're technically at fault.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
That's when I drive faster and they walk faster lol.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #20
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i normally accelerate by them. w/e as long as they don't make me slow down too much i just let it go
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #21
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i gave up a long time ago. i was at the point that i may as well tape my horn button down. try driving in downtown vancouver during peak hours... i can't help but think there are more people on the street than on the sidewalks
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I was in New west a few weekends ago, went to pick up the G/F after some house party... On my way there, I saw like 6 Highschoolers boys and girls on the side of the sidewalk like 7 blocks away from me... Just as I saw them, I guess 2 of the guys wanted to be cool in front of the girls and started c-walking on the street like right in the middle of the street... Well thanks to the wonderful V6 in the accord, I pinned it and headed straight for the high school kids... With no intentions to hit him but only scare him... I dont think they have ever been soo scared in their life... I guess they assumed that I would stop for them and let them finish their solo... FUCK NO.... People that try to walk in the street and think they own it should get fucken hit...

What really annoys me is when you driving in a outdoor mall parking lot, and when people are walking out of the mall to their cars, they dont even bother to look left or right and just cross.. Like they dont even look if theres even is a car there.. Then you have to stop and slam on the brakes so you dont hit them.. then they give you this look like its your fault that you almost hit them... I hate pedestrians.. Thats why if I ever do smoke weed and drive, I blow it right in their faces... I do this to lame ass bikers that hog up the roads aswell...

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #23
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

we need a couple of court cases where the pedestrian is ruled wrong in an accident. THEN we'll start to see some "courtesy".

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
In asia, you honk more than you hit the brake
So true, and if honking doesn't work, you get out of your car with a bat.

Now to stay on topic, when i see a j-walker, i usually slow down and let them pass. Because, i know that these people will not take the crosswalk next time anyways so why get all worked up yelling and honking at them? They will eventually see their mistake when they stare into the headlights from a truck just milliseconds away from flattening them.

It may be too late to realize then but all i can say is:

shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #25
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
how about stupid moron pedestrians who cross at marked intersection crossings even though the light has turned green for traffic? i don't mean old or handicapped people who can't move fast... are we still supposed to give them right of way?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote