REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Ban On cell phones while driving... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587241-ban-cell-phones-while-driving.html)

xpl0sive 08-27-2009 07:27 AM

Ban On cell phones while driving...

so i was reading the province today, and it appears they are trying to put another useless law in place... don't get me wrong, people shouldn't talk on their phones while driving, but the wordings of the current law they are trying to pass, make no sense what-so-ever.... they are saying that only N drivers will not be allowed to use cell phones... people with their class 5's still can... what the hell is the point of that law? to hand out mroe tickets to kids with N's so that they can get points and have their license taken away faster and restart the whole thing over again? it doesn't matter if you got your class 5 or class 7, talking on the phone while driving distracts you making you drive like a retard. they are also talking about banning DVD palyers and MP3 players, which i'm a bit unclear on, MP3 players as in listening to your ipod though headphones while driving? i thought that was illegal already... why would you plug up your ears while driving, so you cant hear the guy screaming while you're dragging him under your car? I thought DVD players were illegal too? anways... discuss

wing_woo 08-27-2009 08:52 AM

I hate seeing drivers watching TV on their dash. I've seen a couple and it's scary knowing the guy beside me is watching tv while he's driving.

skidmark 08-27-2009 11:40 AM

I think that the point is inexperienced drivers will not be allowed to have driving distractions that are controllable in their vehicles. More experienced drivers will be allowed hands free cell phones.

Of course, no one says that some of the more experienced drivers will be able to keep it on the road any better...

silk 08-27-2009 11:57 AM

seriously? i dont find much difference with hands free nor without......they all caused the same amount of distraction..
most of the time when i get off my cell phone i dont know what i just did ...LOL
its a pretty amazing feeling...

PACER 08-27-2009 03:52 PM

Not sure what you read but I read the story and that is not what was said.

New drivers in the graduated licencing will not be allowed to use any device (including hands free) drivers not subject to the rules of the graduated licencing program will be allowed to use hands free devices but still will be banned from usning handsets or from texting etc while driving. TVs or watching movies while driving has been illegal for some time.

Most research shows little difference in the amount of distraction caused by handsfree or hand set use. Both are in the same range as being drunk while driving, only diference is that at least with a hands free your mobility is not affected (should checks etc) and you have both hands available to operate your car (steer etc)....

underscore 08-27-2009 06:14 PM

I'm guessing the MP3 player part is to cover the players that also play video, or saying that you can't fiddle with it while it's connected to the stereo, as wearing headphones is already illegal

Jeffield 08-27-2009 07:18 PM

wow to op: i have to agree with you on the N sign them, just make it illegal for EVERYONE

not just target teenagers who just got their license...

also for DVD player i constantly have either music video or movies playing in my car, but i only watch during the red light its mainly for the passengers like my girlfriend or whoever that is taking a longer drive than usual with me

its useful but for those people who watch it while driving is retarded

underscore 08-27-2009 07:43 PM

^ then I hope you're not one of those people who doesn't notice the green.

"but officer, it was my favourite part!"

CrisQo 08-28-2009 12:09 AM

I wish they'd ban it for everyone, that would be a law I could live with. I'm amazed at the stupid things I see people do on the road on a daily basis while talking on their phones, never mind those people who like to text while they're driving.

Even though I do answer my phone while driving, my friends know better than to think I'm paying attention to what they're saying. Normally I'll just let them know I'm driving and I'll call them back later.

zulutango 08-28-2009 05:47 AM

I attended a national injury prevention conference last October and they had a session specifically on cell phone usage. An exhaustive national and international study by the University of Alberta folks showed that there was virtually no difference between hand held and hands free users. The problem is that ANY attention at all that you pay to the phone or the conversation, you are NOT giving to your driving. It is medically and mentally impossible to do otherwise. They pleaded that legislation permitting hands free phones NOT be brought in due to small "p" political pressure as, unless all use was forbidden, inattentive driving and the crashes that followed, would continue to happen.

ninjatune 08-28-2009 07:39 AM

Will this include members during the execution of their duty using issued cell phones and the MDT's?

zulutango 08-28-2009 08:09 AM

There are various existing exemptions for Police under the Act but as someone who hated to hear the chime boinging on my MDT for an incoming message and my cell phone ring, I learned to wait until it was safe to stop and answer them. If I crashed while answering them do you think I would get backed up by the outfit? Not a chance. If I missed a call there was call display and voicemail...if I was a few seconds late looking at the MDT, so what. If it is THAT urgent, talk to me on the radio. I had the occasional "chat" with some dispatch folks who wanted me to immediately look at a dispatched call while driving code 3 at speed on the way to a call.

xplodngKeys 08-28-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACER (Post 6566524)
Most research shows little difference in the amount of distraction caused by handsfree or hand set use. Both are in the same range as being drunk while driving, only diference is that at least with a hands free your mobility is not affected (should checks etc) and you have both hands available to operate your car (steer etc)....

I've read this as well. I have also read studies that compare all of that and then add in a second (or more) passanger that you are holding a conversation with. Apparently the only reason why having a passanger is less of a distraction is because "they are able to see the situations on the road and act accordingly".... not from what I've experienced with my friends. In fact, I've noticed the complete opposite where I'm on the mobile and need full concentration I'll tell them that and the conversation dies until I can resume it safely again - no questions asked. If I have a firend (or even family member in the car...ie little brothers..) and tell them the same thing it works until they feel it is safe to resume the conversation again :mad:

Theres a good chance though that I'm just unlucky with passengers and have inconsiderate firends. (in fact I'm almost certain this is the case lol)

Jeffield 08-28-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6566975)
^ then I hope you're not one of those people who doesn't notice the green.

"but officer, it was my favourite part!"

I'll be honest i have missed it once or twice, but 99.9% of the time I dont because i personally get frustrated by the same people and dont want to turn out like them =P

Acura604 08-31-2009 06:31 AM

ban it for all... handsfree in-car bluetooth FTW.

PACER 08-31-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplodngKeys (Post 6567832)
I've read this as well. I have also read studies that compare all of that and then add in a second (or more) passanger that you are holding a conversation with. Apparently the only reason why having a passanger is less of a distraction is because "they are able to see the situations on the road and act accordingly".... not from what I've experienced with my friends. In fact, I've noticed the complete opposite where I'm on the mobile and need full concentration I'll tell them that and the conversation dies until I can resume it safely again - no questions asked. If I have a firend (or even family member in the car...ie little brothers..) and tell them the same thing it works until they feel it is safe to resume the conversation again :mad:

Theres a good chance though that I'm just unlucky with passengers and have inconsiderate firends. (in fact I'm almost certain this is the case lol)

You are perfectly correct that engaging in conversation with other occupants can be equally distracting, eating and drinking while driving are also up there.

PACER 08-31-2009 01:39 PM

It's a political thing I would guess which is why not all use has been banned. This way most people will be happy that at least something was done and the rest will be happy that they still have some choice....

slammer111 09-01-2009 01:28 AM

^ Banning mp3s is not going to really do it. Let's face it, almost everyone does that already. Criminalizing 80% of the population for something that already happens regularly is just going to antagonize the public. Just like ticketing people who go 5 over the limit. I don't think there are too many people below 30 who don't pump tunes regularly. Same with headsets. Sometimes it's not convenient to pull over to grab your phone. Stop and go traffic comes to mind.

The DVD thing I understand and support though, there's no room for music videos or movies when driving. And many people defeat their "video-in-motion" interlocks.

PACER 09-01-2009 03:07 PM

There is no ban on actual music in a car (mp3s) would be in that catagory. Handsfree devices will be ok for regular drivers (I am guess that will include the single earpiece.) Headphones while driving is a no no as it muffles or blocks out exteriour sounds including sirens and horns. Very good info when driving.

c32 09-14-2009 04:04 PM

so did they ban this??? this is retarded..... could i atleast use speaker on my phone??? will this stupid ticket cause any points?? im so pissed off after some bitch was like GET off your phone your an New driver..... and the fact that she came back and was like YOUR STILL ON THE PHONE IM GONNA REPORT YOU........ after this shit bein on the news, everyones hatin on N drivers...

falcon 09-14-2009 04:08 PM

I'm ALL FOR banning cell phone usage/texting while driving and handing out BIG penalties.

What I am NOT for is banning bluetooth/handsfree. That's just silly. Some of us can't just pull over on the side of the freeway... or not pick up the phone when it is critial to your job performance.

superdennis 09-22-2009 12:04 PM

The Big question I am wondering is...

How will all this be monitored?

when im driving, i see 1 in 3 drivers are on their phones... its going to be a difficult habit for some ppl to drop.

ninjatune 09-22-2009 05:00 PM

when does this go into place?

sebberry 09-22-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phucmang (Post 6592348)
so did they ban this??? this is retarded..... could i atleast use speaker on my phone??? will this stupid ticket cause any points?? im so pissed off after some bitch was like GET off your phone your an New driver..... and the fact that she came back and was like YOUR STILL ON THE PHONE IM GONNA REPORT YOU........ after this shit bein on the news, everyones hatin on N drivers...

With an attitude like that about other people, its no wonder you feel like you are receiving unwanted attention.

sebberry 09-22-2009 06:01 PM

Does anyone here know how many collisions and deaths cell phone use while driving has caused? in BC or Canada?