REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
How to rebuild credit when you have no/bad credit

So, recently I had a credit card loan went to the collection as some of you may have known. Now, how do I rebuild my credit right now since I have bad credit? I really want to rebuild it and I know I can make the obligations to.

I tried applying for a credit card at MBNA but was rejected. Any other way to rebuild besides getting a credit card?
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Unauthourized Spammer

I don't know the whole story but the questions I would ask are:

A) Did you declare bankruptcy (I'm guessing not)?

B) Did you pay off whatever amount was sent to collections?

If you have not, you may want to pay up and settle the score with the collections company and have them change your credit report to 'paid and resolved'.

Once you've done that you should be able to get a credit card of some nature although I don't expect it to be an easy road.

You alternative is a loan. Bills don't count I'm afraid. You may find you need to take a break from cards for a while. 6 months to a 1 year without a credit card won't kill you and you might find things work better without it.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #3

I am currently paying off my debt and was hoping I can build my credit on the way, or does it not work like that?

I need credit because I want to be able to finance a car and eventually get a house.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

yea, like chuck norris said, first thing is the pay off ur debt, everything else comes after. WHen u've finally managed to be debt free, then apply for a CC

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

If you have the money, apply for a secured credit card. Pretty much guaranteed approval if your at least 19 years old. Usually they get you to put $500 down (depending on your approval limit) which they put into a GIC. After paying off your debts and some months on your new credit card you should be able to get a sub prime car loan. I'm not sure how old you are but if you're under 24 it may take a while before a loan company will offer you a decent rate.
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
i had shit credit until i was 23 and got a proper job. first thing i did was pay my debt (only around $1000), then consistently paid of my CC in full every month. after about a year of that, i applied for CCs taht i previously was rejected for, and have never been turned down for anything since then.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Z28 View Post
If you have the money, apply for a secured credit card. Pretty much guaranteed approval if your at least 19 years old. Usually they get you to put $500 down (depending on your approval limit) which they put into a GIC. After paying off your debts and some months on your new credit card you should be able to get a sub prime car loan. I'm not sure how old you are but if you're under 24 it may take a while before a loan company will offer you a decent rate.
i am 24, and my debt will be done by next year's summer. is it possible to build credit with this secured credit card while paying off my debt? would that put a good score on my credit report?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

so i used my dad's credit line to buy my car/bike when i was 17 which adds up to 20 grand, i've been paying it since day one and was wondering if i still get credit for it since i've been depositing money into the credit line with my own paychecks.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_4life View Post
so i used my dad's credit line to buy my car/bike when i was 17 which adds up to 20 grand, i've been paying it since day one and was wondering if i still get credit for it since i've been depositing money into the credit line with my own paychecks.
Don't think so.

If it isn't your own credit, you don't risk anything and so therefore, you should not receive any credit for it.

Like if you didn't make payments, your dad would get bad credit. Not you. So the reverse should apply as well.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

aw man 20 grand is a lot of money....
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

or wait 7 years for your infractions to drop
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Tech Team Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_4life View Post
aw man 20 grand is a lot of money....
Try to get your own line of credit and transfer the debt over. You could also get your Dad to co-sign for you if you can't qualify on your own. Another option is If your vehicles are newer (less than 5 years old) most banks would also be willing to use them as colateral for a secured loan.

2001 BMW M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR
dubzz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

try to see if you can get a consolidation loan... that normally helps. for 20k a consolidation loan would force to close all your credit cards. unsecured line of credits and over draft protection are the two products that are the hardest to apply for. as for using a vehicle as collateral they wont use it for a line of credit, but only for a car loan.
!SCEPTER300R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I had the same problem. Cibc declined my application for a cibc visa. I waited 1 year and was still denied. I went in person and talked to the manager, explained my situation. Told him I was young and dumb when I made the mistake of not paying back $500. Showed proof of how much I made and proof of paying off collections. I asked to give me a chance to show I have matured. Threw in a few tears. Now I got a $20,000 visa select with a 800 credit score. good luck, It was a hard few years trying to get my credit back and you might not be as lucky.
to0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Fuck I just paid off my credit card after reading this thread.

buying baby stuff is fucking expensive lol
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
I know TD Bank has/had a promotional going where you are pre approved for a credit card recently regardless. I remember the promo was ending in September but forgot the exact date.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I know TD Bank has/had a promotional going where you are pre approved for a credit card recently regardless. I remember the promo was ending in September but forgot the exact date.
False. You have poor credit = gtfo. Come back when you prove you can save and after you paid back all you owe. Or wait 7 yrs AND can prove you can save.
Scudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I think it was only for students. Just applied for my first credit card(I'm 19) but didn't get approved since I was not a student anymore, and still young with no credit.
The person helping me out said if i were still in school, I would have been approved for the student promotion.
I ended up getting a secured credit card and am on the road to building up my credit with this.