REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Ticket for Smoked Tail lights? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587399-ticket-smoked-tail-lights.html)

gearshifter 08-28-2009 08:28 AM

Ticket for Smoked Tail lights?

Hey guys..

Anyone know the charges and fines you receive if you get pulled over for smoked tail lights?

Thanks

zulutango 08-28-2009 08:43 AM

Assuming nobody rear ends you in the process...probably a $109 ticket...and maybe not permitted to drive away.

JHatta 08-28-2009 09:51 AM

Pay to play...

silk 08-28-2009 10:26 AM

smoked is outdated and ugly

ilvtofu 08-28-2009 10:27 AM

just about to get smoked tails...

skidmark 08-28-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6567906)
just about to get smoked tails...

If you do, you are what I call a "Pick me!" driver. Doing this around a traffic cop is like waving the proverbial red cape in front of the bull...

ilvtofu 08-29-2009 11:52 PM

Can i just do a side marker pretty please?

JHatta 08-30-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6568075)
If you do, you are what I call a "Pick me!" driver. Doing this around a traffic cop is like waving the proverbial red cape in front of the bull...

IMO anything modification to exterior is "PICK ME" driver to the police.

00EM1 08-30-2009 07:59 PM

I was wondering if anyone had anymore info on what happens if you get rear ended with smoked taillights??
I have heard that the driver that rear end's you can claim he didn't see your brake lights and the blaim can be shifted to you
any truth to this??

zulutango 08-31-2009 05:25 AM

I have investigated 2 such crashes and YES...ICBC held the driver of the smoked tail lights responsible for the crash...they also assigned blame to the rider of a sportbike who barely survived being rearended on his bike with a fender elinminator and intergrated tail/brake/signal light setup.

ilvtofu 08-31-2009 07:30 AM

How about tinting around Like MKV R32 style on a regular MKV GTi?
The light area is exposed and remains untinted, I can't see any possible danger, would that be legal?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...scaled_600.jpg

As you can see the two circle pods aren't tinted, but everything around is

sho_bc 08-31-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6571275)
How about tinting around Like MKV R32 style on a regular MKV GTi?
The light area is exposed and remains untinted, I can't see any possible danger, would that be legal?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...scaled_600.jpg

As you can see the two circle pods aren't tinted, but everything around is

Not legal as all that surround is reflector and helps your vehicle be visible at night (and during the daytime with glare). The number of vehicles with dead tail lights that i've seen driving around the past few days off is huge. The reflectors are the only thing that let me know it was a car, not a motorcycle, from behind.

zulutango 08-31-2009 12:17 PM

Here is what you are dealing with..smoked aftermarket lights/reflectors are NOT compliant...as shown below.
General lighting requirements
4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.

(4) The function of 2 or more lamps or reflectors may be combined if each function meets the following requirements:

(a) no turn signal lamp may be combined optically with a stop lamp unless the stop lamp is extinguished when the turn signal is flashing;

(b) a clearance lamp must not be combined optically with a tail-lamp or identification lamp.

(5) The director may exempt vehicles or classes of vehicles from the requirements of this section.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s. 1.]

Mounting of lamps and reflectors
4.03 (1) If 2 lamps of the same type are required or permitted on a vehicle, the lamps must be mounted at the same height unless otherwise specified in this Division.

(2) If 2 lamps of the same type are required or permitted on the side, front or rear of a vehicle, the lamps must, unless otherwise specified in this Division, be mounted with one lamp at or near the extreme left and one lamp at or near the extreme right of the vehicle, so as to indicate the approximate width of the vehicle.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

General maintenance
4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

falcon 08-31-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silk (Post 6567903)
smoked is outdated and ugly

unless you drive an o8/09 STI... those babys are just crying for some tint.

true story. My old mk3 GTI had Hella DOT approved smoked tails when I bought it. i got hassled so much (also had my N at the time) that I swapped them for OEM