REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #476
Unofficial Tin Foil Hat Specialist.
 
skyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,143
Thanked 1,516 Times in 598 Posts
Though, it's two sides of the coin. If it was built, you wouldn't see a lot of the Strathcona area/Van Eat history anymore. Plus I believe the hippies and opposition just tried to reject everything the gov does.

Just noticed one of the Diagrams shows "Brocton Point crossing". I assume it's some type of underground freeway/train system that connects from the 401 highway to north vancouver. :/
Advertisement
__________________
Looking for a Valentine's date. Click for further details

Hi, I'm the milkman. Do you want it in the front or in the back?
I give awesome relationship advice. Trust me.

Last edited by skyxx; 01-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.
skyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #477
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
tgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ōsaka
Posts: 590
Thanked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Though, it's two sides of the coin. If it was built, you wouldn't see a lot of the Strathcona area/Van Eat history anymore. Plus I believe the hippies and opposition just tried to reject everything the gov does.

Just noticed one of the Diagrams shows "Brocton Point crossing". I assume it's some type of underground freeway/train system that connects from the 401 highway to north vancouver. :/
Google Books has a book that covers the rejection of the freeway and the third crossing.

Vancouver Ltd - Donald Gutstein - Google Books

Vancouver Ltd - Donald Gutstein - Google Books
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #478
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,221
Thanked 7,864 Times in 3,082 Posts
Wife went shopping downtown and I had to kill some time. SO...............



I cruised around and stumbled upon this place.

Spoiler!

Last edited by MG1; 03-31-2012 at 07:05 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #479
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,464
Thanked 1,872 Times in 990 Posts
Driving down Hastings towards downtown, I noticed that part of the block with the London Drugs was fenced off and they had started to demolish some of the buildings. So far it looks like they are just tearing down the buildings between London Drugs and the Dollar Giant.
They tore down one building which freed the wall of the building next door and on the wall it says Coast Cleaners and then there is a 4 digit phone number (?)

MG1. Do you remember anything about this company? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow before they tear down this wall.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #480
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
kunoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,204
Thanked 943 Times in 252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Steveston was where its at for history
I grew up in Steveston Village and its so different now compared to even just 5 years ago
I used to visit Kuno garden (for obvious reasons) all the time when I was younger with my family, it was like a family road trip (my grandparents didn't drive much..) and they would tell me stories about how my great grandpa's boat was taken away in the war or how great great grandpa came over on a small fishing boat to Canada way back when. I recall the garden used to be more well kept, now there are some weeds etc growing in the dirt. Also I recall there used to be more fishing boats in the summer, doesn't seem to be as many boats anymore, if the fishing dying down?

I feel like a baby.
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #481
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
Maybe you should go help maintain it, if it means a lot to you.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #482
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
kunoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,204
Thanked 943 Times in 252 Posts
That's was the plan once I graduate freein up some spare time
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #483
VLS Moderator
 
Senna4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,342
Thanked 2,542 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Driving down Hastings towards downtown, I noticed that part of the block with the London Drugs was fenced off and they had started to demolish some of the buildings. So far it looks like they are just tearing down the buildings between London Drugs and the Dollar Giant.
They tore down one building which freed the wall of the building next door and on the wall it says Coast Cleaners and then there is a 4 digit phone number (?)

MG1. Do you remember anything about this company? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow before they tear down this wall.
I live a few blocks away, so I went and snapped a pic:
__________________
2007 Volvo V50
Taken by ex: 2005 Toyota Prius.
R.I.P. 1997 Lexus ES300.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #484
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,221
Thanked 7,864 Times in 3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
They tore down one building which freed the wall of the building next door and on the wall it says Coast Cleaners and then there is a 4 digit phone number (?)

MG1. Do you remember anything about this company? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow before they tear down this wall.
Place was too far east from where I lived. That's a 7 digit phone number, BTW.

I'm assuming the prefix is most likely Highland.......... 44x-6063.

My exchange while growing up in DTES used to be Mutual-1........ 681-48 something something (cannot remember that far back). Edit: remembered it..... 681-4891 (mom drilled it into me - 50+ years later and I still remember it.)

Back to the phone number on the side of the building. Since, there is no number after "High," it must be that the first three letters are the exchange (444?)

For all you Richmond folks, 27x exchange is "Brighouse"
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #485
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,221
Thanked 7,864 Times in 3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
I used to visit Kuno garden (for obvious reasons) all the time when I was younger with my family, it was like a family road trip (my grandparents didn't drive much..) and they would tell me stories about how my great grandpa's boat was taken away in the war or how great great grandpa came over on a small fishing boat to Canada way back when. I recall the garden used to be more well kept, now there are some weeds etc growing in the dirt. Also I recall there used to be more fishing boats in the summer, doesn't seem to be as many boats anymore, if the fishing dying down?

I feel like a baby.
Check the story again....... the part about coming over in a small fishing boat. Don't think it is possible......... would run out of fuel.

The fishing industry here in the LM is pretty much dead. Most commercial fishermen go fish the West Coast (Tofino/Uculet) or go up to the North Coast (Prince Rupert and points between, like Campbell River).
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #486
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Place was too far east from where I lived. That's a 7 digit phone number, BTW.

I'm assuming the prefix is most likely Highland.......... 44x-6063.

My exchange while growing up in DTES used to be Mutual-1........ 681-48 something something (cannot remember that far back). Edit: remembered it..... 681-4891 (mom drilled it into me - 50+ years later and I still remember it.)

Back to the phone number on the side of the building. Since, there is no number after "High," it must be that the first three letters are the exchange (444?)

For all you Richmond folks, 27x exchange is "Brighouse"
First thing I thought is how the phone numbers on tv are like "klondike5-1234", for 555-1234.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #487
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
BaBiE_Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 844
Thanked 73 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Driving down Hastings towards downtown, I noticed that part of the block with the London Drugs was fenced off and they had started to demolish some of the buildings. So far it looks like they are just tearing down the buildings between London Drugs and the Dollar Giant.
They tore down one building which freed the wall of the building next door and on the wall it says Coast Cleaners and then there is a 4 digit phone number (?)

MG1. Do you remember anything about this company? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow before they tear down this wall.
Looks like they are starting to do the demo's for the expansion of the London Drugs, finally!
BaBiE_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #488
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,682
Thanked 6,484 Times in 2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Place was too far east from where I lived. That's a 7 digit phone number, BTW.

I'm assuming the prefix is most likely Highland.......... 44x-6063.

My exchange while growing up in DTES used to be Mutual-1........ 681-48 something something (cannot remember that far back). Edit: remembered it..... 681-4891 (mom drilled it into me - 50+ years later and I still remember it.)

Back to the phone number on the side of the building. Since, there is no number after "High," it must be that the first three letters are the exchange (444?)

For all you Richmond folks, 27x exchange is "Brighouse"
Wow, old skool!

The central office that used to serve that community (Highland) no longer exists. It got replaced by "Alpine" located on Victoria Drive and serves a majority of East Vancouver. The moment you cross Main Street, Mutual would serve you.

Odd bit: There are two Mutuals now, both located on Seymour and Robson where Telus is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #489
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,464
Thanked 1,872 Times in 990 Posts
Just drove past LD on my way home and the building with the Coast Dry Cleaners sign is no more. Everything between LD and Dollar Giant is now broken pieces of wood.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #490
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,221
Thanked 7,864 Times in 3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Just drove past LD on my way home and the building with the Coast Dry Cleaners sign is no more. Everything between LD and Dollar Giant is now broken pieces of wood.
Wow, looks like Senna got the last pic of the old building before it went down......
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #491
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
kunoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,204
Thanked 943 Times in 252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Check the story again....... the part about coming over in a small fishing boat. Don't think it is possible......... would run out of fuel.
asked around can't figure out what type of boat it was, guess a small boat is a bit unlikely
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #492
VLS Moderator
 
Senna4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,342
Thanked 2,542 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Wow, looks like Senna got the last pic of the old building before it went down......
The building is still there, but the sign is covered by a big white plastic sheet.
__________________
2007 Volvo V50
Taken by ex: 2005 Toyota Prius.
R.I.P. 1997 Lexus ES300.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #493
G'd up! w000weee
 
mmmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,140
Thanked 225 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Wife went shopping downtown and I had to kill some time. SO...............

I cruised around and stumbled upon this place.
I went there last summer to check out the exhibit, awesome!
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #494
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,464
Thanked 1,872 Times in 990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
The building is still there, but the sign is covered by a big white plastic sheet.
Check again. The tarp is covering the Dollar Giant wall. When I drove by it on tuesday, the Coast Dry Cleaning building was gone and it exposed the wooden walls of the DG building.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #495
VLS Moderator
 
Senna4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,342
Thanked 2,542 Times in 823 Posts
^^^ I think you need to check again. As of yesterday, the buildings directly east of the dollar store still stood. I'm sure I saw the sign faintly....I'll check tonight though.
__________________
2007 Volvo V50
Taken by ex: 2005 Toyota Prius.
R.I.P. 1997 Lexus ES300.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #496
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Langley
Posts: 4,882
Thanked 5,047 Times in 1,655 Posts
I went to Playland yesterday, it was my first visit to the park in quite a few years. To my shock and disappointment a number of the rides have been removed and replaced with more modern ones. Most notably my favourite ride was missing - Wild Mouse. Apparently it was removed in 2008, but this being my first trip to the park since it's news to me.

A little bit of history on the ride and a video:
Quote:
The Playland/PNE Wild Mouse coaster sadly met its final demise at the end of the 2008 season.

The coaster opened at Playland in 1979 and ran through 2008. This mouse was famously known for its brutal flat turns and white knuckle drops. The ride was an experience many will remember.

Due to high maintenance costs and the age of the ride, the park decided to raze it and replace it with a newer attraction. Wild Mouse came to the US from Germany in 1958.

Also missing since my last visit, Octopus, Dragon Coaster, and the Tilt-a-whirl. The Wild Mouse was the very classic, vintage ride though.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #497
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
tonyzoomzoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 853
Thanked 339 Times in 162 Posts
The wild mouse was my first roller coaster ride. Scared the living crap out of me
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #498
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,594
Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
^ I remember there was one very sharp turn and the structure was padded at that point, a lot of times your head would swing and nail the padding good times
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #499
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 41,580
Thanked 17,309 Times in 5,225 Posts
Old wooden roller coasters are so much more exciting than the ones where you are strapped in tightly to some mechanism that just carries you around a bit. The new ones may look more thrilling, but nothing compares to being thrown around a cart in some rickety old contraption
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #500
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,221
Thanked 7,864 Times in 3,082 Posts
Please tell me the wooden roller coaster at the PNE is still around. Coaster aficionados hands down say wooden is the ultimate.

The Wild Mouse was indeed a classic and the Dragon was a favourite, too.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net