REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #51
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
89blkcivic and Gwailo should have a face/off to see who is the oldest member on RS
Advertisement
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #52
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
I spent many Saturday mornings in Chinatown riding shotgun in my dad's car during grocery runs. Back then, Chinatown was the only place to get your Asian groceries and produce. Even in the late 1980s, Main and Hastings was not the war zone that it is today. My dad would put in a couple of dimes (which would get us a good 45 minutes) into the meter and we would walk up and down Hastings - perhaps taking a peek at what Army and Navy had for sale. We would have lunch at Goldstone, or at a BBQ house on Main St. between Pender and Keefer (on the west side of the street; I can't recall the name.) I remember that all along Hastings, there were banks, but now, only the RBC remains on the corner of Main and Hastings.

Other things I remember:
- I remember when Yaletown was really a rail cargo processing area instead of the full-blown neighbourhood that it is today.
- I remember when Pink Pearl was the place for dim sum on the weekends.
- I remember listening to Frosty on NW98. I also remember listening to Woodwards' "$1.49-day" jingles.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #53
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

wow its really cool to actually learn some of the cool things that were in vancouver. im too young to remember some of the stuff. but its awesome to have somebody tell all of us about what it was like 30 years or 40 years ago. its way better than learning from school in a text book.

but i do remember how cool the PNE used to be. I went yesterday and the only good thing was the superdogs. The demolitian derby used to be awesome at the PNE now its quad racing? and some stupid thing called over the edge?. and i remember when the PNE used to be affordable now its 40$ for an all day ride pass for the same rides that were there last year.

speaking of expo anybody remember the MCbarge its still sitting in the water near were the chevron refinery is in burnaby
Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #54
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
We would have lunch at Goldstone, or at a BBQ house on Main St. between Pender and Keefer (on the west side of the street; I can't recall the name.)
I think you are talking about Gum Gook Yuen. It is now some fancy vietnamese restaurant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #55
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
the province used to do vehicle safety inspections, sort of like what the UK does with getting and MOT done. at some point in the 1970's they stopped doing it. if you can find a car from back in that era that still has it's original glass, you'll see a round window sticker with a gov't logo with date boxes scratched off showing that inspection was done for that year. it was a mandatory and you had to take your car in every year. my parents used to live in vancouver and i remember there was a gov't inspection facility on alberni or w.georgia near stanley park. my dad would drive into an inspection bay and the car would be locked down on a platform that would lift the car up at a 45% angle for inspection underneath. they would leave me belted in the seat inside the car while this was happening and i remember playing rocketship waiting for the car to launch

i also remember being taken to empire stadium to watch a bc lions game. all the kids here only know it as some grassy pit but i remember it as this:

Last edited by thumper; 09-01-2009 at 09:32 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #56
I bringith the lowerballerith

As sad as this sounds.. My memorable historical memories are all the good ol arcades in Vancouver.

Start off with the infamous...
Lesters on Kingsway, (still there right?)
Pie in the Sky on Kingsway (great shady arcade centre)
Satches in Burnaby Hastings (across from Dolphin theatres)
Starcade near Kooteney Loop.. (Still remember the old lady that always worked there)
Laser Illusions in Brentwood.. (All the Nintendo and Segas games you can play.)

One of my all time favorite was near my High School. "Action Snooker" Skip school to play arcades at Action Snooker.. great little arcade pool hall. This is where I learned to gamble on their betting machines... lol
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #57
Witness protection

PNE, circa 1992:

anyone remember before there was the cassiar tunnel? hwy 1 used to cross hastings st. so u had to wait for the traffic light at the intersection like forever if you wanted to go to north van and back...
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #58
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I moved to North Van from the Philippines in 1989 and North Van has changed quite a bit. I remember going to Woolco at Capilano Mall before it was replaced by WalMart. There used to be an arcade on 19th and Lonsdale that I would go to everyday, I think it was called Circuit Circus. Run N' Gun FTW!!

I used to never see homeless people in North Van, but that's changed in the past 5 years or so. There are so many high rise condos being built too. Can't believed so much has changed in the past 20 years.
Ilagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #59
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Gastown. Boy was it ever a dump before it turned into what it is today. Developing just that little area changed the face of downtown Vancouver so much. It brought visitors and paved way for all the other things that followed.

The steam clock. I have no idea what the allure of it is, but it sure is popular with the tourists.
imo, i think gastown has gone downhill. its the most historic part of vancouver, but now its nothing but tshirt shops and clubs/bars.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #60

www.vancouverisawesome.com

check it out, awesome site for vancouver stuff

www.l2sc.net
FiveDime is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #61
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Panoramic photos showing the changes in the Vancouver skyline
http://vancouver.ca/COMMSVCS/fade/fade.htm
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #62
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ienhz View Post
Sad to see the contrast in today's generation. So many kids growing up in 800K+ houses and are complete failures in life.
Totally agree.
After I went to UBC and met people from a huge spectrum of backgrounds, I became shocked at how people with nothing soar while some people with everything work shit jobs.
I've known people raised by only their mothers from rented basements in Surrey who went on to become professionals while others who live in Van West do shit jobs. Really bizarre.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

when did Hasting piled up with crack heads and hookers and how ?
Let me know, thanks
silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #64

To add to this thread, one of my best friend's dads was the first Chinese kid to go to St. George's school back in the 50's; his roommates at the dorm back then were the Roger's kids (Roger's Sugar) and the Brown kids (Brown Brother's Ford).
His father came here from China as a dentist but wasn't allowed to practice and so worked as a stable boy at the PNE racetrack.
Their family eventually ran a large food wholesale business that still supplies many restaurants and businesses in Vancouver today.
He always tells us about how in those days, the West Side was exclusively old money white people, and when their family bought a home at Dunbar (which they still own today), Caucasians would yell at him "Chink what are ya doing here?"

He also tells repeatedly of how their family business and another Chinese grocer family (very well known today), pushed out other grocery businesses. He always told us at dinners how the farmers from the Valley and Okanogan would arrive early in the morning in Chinatown around 5AM, and that while the other western run grocers would show up around 7AM, the Chinese would get there at 4AM to ensure they could buy up the freshest produce available. Over 10 years, his family had a monopoly on the fresh produce delivery business servicing Shaughnessy and Dunbar.

Being another UBC alumni, he also jokes about how there were only 5 chinese people at UBC when he was there, and he could list them all as children from the other large grocery family or his own cousins!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #65
Banned (ABWS)

^ cool, asian pride... white people are jealous
i see where it came from
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #66
Banned (ABWS)

yesterday counts as history right...well my history is nothing compared to you guys..

i remembered 10 yrs ago..the gas were at $0.32 ...and white boys love to hang in my house to eat chinese food .....white girls hated us tho lol
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #67
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^ don't ruin this thread.
ienhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #68
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk View Post
when did Hasting piled up with crack heads and hookers and how ?
Let me know, thanks
i remember back in the late 70's/early 80's my mom would walk with me on weekends from chinatown down hastings st. to army and navy, woodward's, and then to harbor centre/sears (before it became sfu) and she would buy me a turtle pastry from the bakery downstairs (hey i was really young back then and it was a really big deal for me! ). there was a marks and spencer somewhere in that neighborhood too. it was really safe back then and all the shops on hastings were open. things went downhill after sears and woodward's left. today, i don't even want to drive through there (saw this bum jump on the hood of a car waiting for him to cross as he was jaywalking once)
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #69
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I spent many Saturday mornings in Chinatown riding shotgun in my dad's car during grocery runs. Back then, Chinatown was the only place to get your Asian groceries and produce. Even in the late 1980s, Main and Hastings was not the war zone that it is today. My dad would put in a couple of dimes (which would get us a good 45 minutes) into the meter and we would walk up and down Hastings - perhaps taking a peek at what Army and Navy had for sale. We would have lunch at Goldstone, or at a BBQ house on Main St. between Pender and Keefer (on the west side of the street; I can't recall the name.) I remember that all along Hastings, there were banks, but now, only the RBC remains on the corner of Main and Hastings.

Other things I remember:
- I remember when Yaletown was really a rail cargo processing area instead of the full-blown neighbourhood that it is today.
- I remember when Pink Pearl was the place for dim sum on the weekends.
- I remember listening to Frosty on NW98. I also remember listening to Woodwards' "$1.49-day" jingles.
oh hey we're in the same boat! but we didn't have a car then just "bc transit" with those weird orange/brown colors they used to have... but transit those days was much nicer than it is now. buses were clean and no one would try to rob or kill you like today.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #70

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
oh hey we're in the same boat! but we didn't have a car then just "bc transit" with those weird orange/brown colors they used to have... but transit those days was much nicer than it is now. buses were clean and no one would try to rob or kill you like today.
I attended pre-school at Britannia and I used to take the old electric trolleys every day. I took the #16 to Commercial and Hastings, then transferred onto the #20 which took me to the school. I rode with the same driver on the 20 each day and when I boarded, he used to call me "scodoo," or something like that. Ahhh, memories.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbone View Post
as a kid, i loved playing at the playground.. now all i see are little fat kids running around in malls and playing games.. those were the days.. going to the park to meet friends
yea wtf happened? we never went to the mall. because mall = money.

Nowadays u got kids with their iphones and shiet. I remember downloading mp3s at 56K and when getting Cable modem was like HOLY FUCK!!!!. . . .
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #72
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Awesome thread. Although I grew up in Courtenay which basically looked the same from 1975 to 2002 it brings back a lot of good memories of coming to the mainland to visit my dad or on trips with my mom.

When I moved here in 2004 I was stunned to see that they had taken that giant hockey stick off of the side of the stadium downtown. Then I realized that they had simply moved it to Duncan.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Panoramic photos showing the changes in the Vancouver skyline
http://vancouver.ca/COMMSVCS/fade/fade.htm
it's scary to imagine what things will look like 30 years from now. . . .
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #74
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I remember there is one street beside Gastown where the asphalt has disappeared in some places and you can see the brick underneath. Its nice.
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk View Post
^ cool, asian pride... white people are jealous
i see where it came from
No its not about anyone being jealous, its about hard work and struggling to make it against huge barriers. Race is not the issue as I'm sure there must be groups of European caucasians that may be racially discriminated against by other groups.
This post thanked by: