REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Most hated roads & intersections

So we've had a few threads on "best roads" in this forum, how about your LEAST favourite roads/intersections in Victoria?

- I despise turning left onto Mackenzie from the Island Highway (doesn't everyone?), even in non-rush hour traffic.

- Government St. downtown in the summer is pretty brutal with all the pedestrians/jaywalking/etc.

- Beach Drive, particularly the Uplands section and the area north of Oak Bay Marina... when you get stuck behind some cock doing 30 and sightseeing while holding up a line of traffic. Beautiful scenery, bad drivers.

- Northbound Blanshard @ Saanich during rush hour, as it can often be backed up beyond Cloverdale.

Any more?
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
lol i work for city of oak bay and cock fags drive way too fast on the SCENIC ROUTE. slow down and enjoy some of the overpriced real estate.

-basically all of oak bay avenue anytime before 6 oclock when the seniors are out
-government and belleville.. down by the empress when tourists are jumping off the curbs
-cedar hill and mckenzie, cedar hill gets jammed whenever school is in and makes for mayhem
-wilkinson and interurban - the 5 way - always gets jammed in all directions and is very slow going
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The section of the Hwy through Duncan,that stop and go through all the f'in lights is painfull.They are putting in a roundabout in Qualicum (Memorial Ave/Rupert road intersection) could be rather entertaining .
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Douchebag Lover

5 way intersetction between Wilkinson/Interurban/Hastings. Most notably, people don't seem to grasp the idea of a separate left turn lane from Hastings onto Wilkinson. This simple "booboo" by somebody turning left in the straight lane has nearly gotten me smashed on at least 5 occasions...

That and Wilkinson Road just past Layritz field anytime between 3pm and 6pm.
Dentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

How about the eternal Craigflower construction zone.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I always hated turning left where SW Marine Dr turns into Granville St, after the Arthur Laing bridge. There are always idiots speeding down Granville, and it's a blind corner for people turning left.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

hammond bay road sucks for the dam man holes everywhere
84gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentz View Post
5 way intersetction between Wilkinson/Interurban/Hastings. Most notably, people don't seem to grasp the idea of a separate left turn lane from Hastings onto Wilkinson. This simple "booboo" by somebody turning left in the straight lane has nearly gotten me smashed on at least 5 occasions...

That and Wilkinson Road just past Layritz field anytime between 3pm and 6pm.
+1, forgot about this. The death zone.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Spencer & Trans Can.

Every time I drive through there I'm guaranteed to encounter someone who doesn't know how to merge where the lane ends.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

+1 for Spencer and TC hwy...

The overall oblivion that the mergers display is almost as stupid as the road-vengeant who give no room due to the fact that they feel more entitled because they endured the queue.

absolutely mind boggling.
94 JDM GC8
FS:
91 Sambar truck 20k kms. $5800 pm for details.
93 Supercharged Sambar Dias Van 5k kms$7200
h0tSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Sick motherfucker mod

every road in oakbay, I've had old ladies gross the yellow line into my on coming lane a few times now. Apparently Foul Bay is not straight enough for them. Or the dingleberry I am almost hit because he came to a complete stop on an advanced left only to pull a U-E in the middle of Fort/Foul bay intersection.....
rental_metard is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

The left turn from Yates onto Wharf St. should have a razorblade dispenser there so you can end your suffering everytime a car coming from your left stops RIGHT IN FUCKING FRONT OF YOU TO LET THE PEDESTRIAN CROSS, THEREBY GUARANTEEING YOU WILL SIT THERE ANOTHER 7 GODDAMNED MINUTES AS ALL THE OTHER CARS WHO WAITED FOR THE PEDESTRIAN TO CROSS ARE NOW JAMMING THE INTERSECTION AGAIN. Of course this wouldn't happen if the driver were observant enough to halt his car a mere 10 feet shy of the crosswalk, would it now?

The other one that gets me is where Strandlund, Peatt and the VMP come together. Damn near every morning as I try to turn right from Strandlund onto the VMP, directly into my own right lane to get onto the TCH, and always with a green in front of me, there will be some twat making the left turn opposite me from Peatt who thinks that he or she has:

A: The right to enter the intersection while I'm using it, and
B: The right to shoot all the way across 3 lanes to get into the lane I have a right of way for.

I don't know how many times the front end of my car has nearly been clipped from this one. I can't wait to have the F-450 back on the road again, as I'll be far less inclined to use the brakes when I see one of those jerks coming.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #13

umm every were victoria's road system is junk

and same with there drivers

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Atleast the roads are in good shape. The rest of the country is a disaster.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
The left turn from Yates onto Wharf St. should have a razorblade dispenser there so you can end your suffering everytime a car coming from your left stops RIGHT IN FUCKING FRONT OF YOU TO LET THE PEDESTRIAN CROSS, THEREBY GUARANTEEING YOU WILL SIT THERE ANOTHER 7 GODDAMNED MINUTES AS ALL THE OTHER CARS WHO WAITED FOR THE PEDESTRIAN TO CROSS ARE NOW JAMMING THE INTERSECTION AGAIN. Of course this wouldn't happen if the driver were observant enough to halt his car a mere 10 feet shy of the crosswalk, would it now?

The other one that gets me is where Strandlund, Peatt and the VMP come together. Damn near every morning as I try to turn right from Strandlund onto the VMP, directly into my own right lane to get onto the TCH, and always with a green in front of me, there will be some twat making the left turn opposite me from Peatt who thinks that he or she has:

A: The right to enter the intersection while I'm using it, and
B: The right to shoot all the way across 3 lanes to get into the lane I have a right of way for.

I don't know how many times the front end of my car has nearly been clipped from this one. I can't wait to have the F-450 back on the road again, as I'll be far less inclined to use the brakes when I see one of those jerks coming.
I turn left from Peatt and see this!

I dont understand.. idiots
Darb 2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Mackenzie and the #1. By far the worst out of all the intersections in vic. Burnside backs up to tillicum mall, which makes interurban back up just as far. Marigold gets backed up by people trying to get around. Tillicum gets backed up by people turning left onto the highway, which backs out all the way to burnside... and the #1 backs up all the way to wal-mart.
GregM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

In the morning, that intersection will back the TCH up all the way to the Millstream overpass now that school is back in session. My 15 minutes to Camosun just became 40.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
In the morning, that intersection will back the TCH up all the way to the Millstream overpass now that school is back in session. My 15 minutes to Camosun just became 40.
Gross.

I honestly don't understand the justification for building an overpass at Bear Mountain but not at Mackenzie. Sure, maybe it was easier to finance the Bear Mountain project, but Mackenzie is in far greater need. That would take 10 minutes off the Langford commute, easy.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #19

Politics. Nobody wants to pay for it and the CRD is a bunch of useless twats.
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #20

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
When I used to commute from Cow Bay to work every day I hated the hated the backup on the transcan through langford/colwood to Mackenzie...

But then I realized it's still nowhere near as bad as when I used to commute the knight or oak street bridges in Vancouver every day. 1/2 an hour to move 3 city blocks SUCKED, and that was on a GOOD day.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Bear Mountain paid for that overpass not the province.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
Island Mod

We have some shitty roads in Victoria but we have it sooooo good compared to some places. I was stuck in rush our last year in Toronto and we werbumper to bumper for the whole drive from Toronto to Burlington which is like driving from Victoria to Ladysmith doing 15-20km/hr, lets just say 2hours later I was fairly annoyed.
My biggest petpeeve around Victoria is people who don't yield to on coming cars at intersections. Example being I have the advance left turn and while turning the jerk pulls out in front of me trying to turn right onto the same road I was turning onto. This then forces me to brake and backs everyone else up. Yield means you yield to the right of way!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #23
RS controls my life!

I'm in Toronto right now and despite the terrible drivers and slow speed limits in Victoria I wouldn't trade that for here ever.

Middle of the day bumper to bumper traffic going across town.
People riding your ass and being pinned between semis trucks while Im doing 140 down the QEW going over massive bumps and holes where the speed limit is 100 and they give a $10,000 fine for going 50 over.
Terrible fucking roads. Bump and jumps in corners of ramps that you are taking at 120+
oh and this is in the summer.... Can't imagine the snow

now not that it's a terrible place to be but I sure as shit wouldn't want to be driving anything with low pro tires, or have to ever commute in this. It makes the Colwood crawl look like a miracle. There was more traffic on a Sunday afternoon on Eglington then the island highway has ever backed up in it's existence. Try a daily commute In January on the 401 and tell me you don't want to live in Vic. Can't wait to get home and take my car out on our silky smooth road ways.

(just got back from drive to Niagra falls /rant )
Vette Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #24

There are also 8 million people living in the GTA, while Greater Victoria has 350,000. Similarly, comparing Victoria to Vancouver is also unfair because Vancouver has dozens of bridges and tunnels, which back up traffic severely.

The roads in this city are in fantastic condition, and overall we have it good when it comes to traffic. Nonetheless, like any other place, Victoria has areas that need serious improvement. This thread was just intended to be a place to discuss our least favourite roads and intersections, not really to complain about Victoria traffic in general.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Spencer Rd merge, everyone changes into the fast lane right before the light, On a good day you can just pass the entire group in the slow lane, but usually you will have someone in front of you doing 70 weaving back and forth with their signal on.

Coming off the ferry on the Pat bay is another fun one, people are like omg sweet were on the hwy lets do 130, then almost rear end everyone at the first light.
Island_Yota is offline   Reply With Quote