REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

eating organic cereals

I started eating this cereal called Flax seed plus pumpkin from a company called Nature's Path. apparently it is 100% organic. I was thinking of substituting one or 2 of my meals a day for this cereal but i was looking at the nutrient facts and this got me confused. i compared this cereal to a kelloggs frosted flakes and this is what i got:

Nutrients Facts:

Fats/Lipides: 8%(Nature's Path) 4%(frosted flakes)
Saturated: 15%(Nature's Path) 8%(frosted flakes)

then the frosted flakes goes on with 7 or more different vitamins and other nutrients while the nature's path one stops at a count of 6.

I was under the impression that frosted flakes (and other sweet cereals) are loaded with fats and sugar.
can someone enlighten me or educate me about this pls.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
a question i have to ask
why are you substituting meals with a breakfast cereal.
and 100% organic means jack shit.
why nature path is higher in fat probably because it's got pumpkin seed, flax seed, and multiple types of grain. Both seeds are relatively oily seeds that will contain higher amount of fat than processed corn flakes covered in sugar.
Fat is not your enemy, you need a certain amount of it for your body to function correctly.
I'm sure both cereals are fortified, and i really don't see the need for all that extra vitamin if your diet is even relatively balanced.
I hope you're not trying to do this to lose weight, there's a pretty good chance it won't work. A balance diet is key, if you eat nothing but that you're gonna probably feel bloated from all the fiber in the cereal.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
1) As said, substituting normal food with grains is stupid.
2) As said, organic food is stupid
3) As wasn't said, higher fat - especially when it comes from quality sources like flax and pumpkin - is good, not bad. In fact, the fat is the only thing good in that cereal, as long as it doesn't have shit like canola added to it.
4) As said, fat is not your enemy. As wasn't said, not only is "a certain amount" good for you, that amount is actually very high.
5) As said, trying to lose weight by eating more grains would be not only futile, but would have the reverse effect.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You have to look at stats besides just the fat count... particularly look at the sugar count, the higher refined sugars from Frosted Flakes will make you gain the unpleasant kind of weight a lot more than the higher fat content comparison. Like mentioned above the fats from the Nature's Path cereal are from the flax and pumpkin seeds.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

1 serving Natures Path and Frosted Flakes have just about identical Glycemic loads (19 compared to 20). That means that while Frosted Flakes has more "Sugar", the carbs in Nature's Path turn to sugar fast enough that it's exactly the same.

Contrary to what you're told, sugar doesn't have to be "refined" to be bad for you.

But with the higher amount of healthy fat, Nature's Path is still a better choice. Not the best choice, but better. Breakfast should be high protein and high fat. Cereal will just burn you out.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
that cereal is pretty good, was eating it for a bit a while back, but the boxes are so small, like 3 bowls and its gone
Old 09-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
that cereal is pretty good, was eating it for a bit a while back, but the boxes are so small, like 3 bowls and its gone
yeah man
lots of air
kinda dumb
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

that's too much cereal for your system

1) it's a lot of sugar
2) you're not getting nutrients from real food.

if i were you i would start cooking some real food...but that's just me

SkinnyPupp: what do you eat for breakfast? i have banana + plain regular yogurt (3.5% mf) + a big scoop of coconut oil.....what would you say about that?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #9

non-low-fat Yogurt + coconut milk + blueberries is one of my all-time favourite breakfasts Usually with a protein shake on the side.

I also like to simply panfry some pork chops or steak or whatever, and have them with 4 or 5 eggs and some fruit.

And of course there is my fried recipe I put on the "what do you eat at home" thread.

Basically, anything but cereal sounds like a good breakfast to me
Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Costco sells the cereal from nature's path. 5-6$ for a gigantic box. Even bigger than the ones you see at superstore (not all superstore sells organic/health food).