REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Single/double yellows on MULTI-LANED roads. Do they serve a purpose? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/588981-single-double-yellows-multi-laned-roads-do-they-serve-purpose.html)

E=mc˛ 09-11-2009 11:29 PM

Single/double yellows on MULTI-LANED roads. Do they serve a purpose?

Just wondering as this just popped into my mind while driving today.

Yes, normally single yellow = passing allowed when safe, double = no passing, but these only apply to two-lane roads (1 lane each direction). On a multi-laned road, however, like hastings, kingsway, broadway, etc. it is illegal to cross the centre line to pass

Since the MVA states that you are NEVER to cross the centre line to pass a vehicle on a multi-laned road, then what's the purpose of marking certain multi-laned streets with a single solid yellow (e.g. Hastings or Broadway) vs double solid yellow (Kingsway, Bridgeport Rd, etc.)?

Why have different markings for different streets?

Or perhaps it's just a subtle way of saying "this street is busier than your average multi-laned roads and thus you should be more careful".

skidmark 09-12-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXQBLGH (Post 6588705)
Since the MVA states that you are NEVER to cross the centre line to pass a vehicle on a multi-laned road

Perhaps you could post a link to the specific section of the MVA that says this for us.

E=mc˛ 09-12-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVA
Driving on laned roadway

151 A driver who is driving a vehicle on a laned roadway

(a) must not drive it from one lane to another when a broken line only exists between the lanes, unless the driver has ascertained that movement can be made with safety and will in no way affect the travel of another vehicle,

(b) must not drive it from one lane to another if that action necessitates crossing a solid line,

(c) must not drive it from one lane to another without first signalling his or her intention to do so by hand and arm or approved mechanical device in the manner prescribed by sections 171 and 172,

(d) when approaching an intersection intending to turn left must drive the vehicle in the centre lane or in the lane nearest the centre of the roadway on the right hand half of the highway,

(e) when approaching an intersection intending to turn right must drive the vehicle in the lane nearest to the right hand side of the roadway,

(f) must not pass a vehicle on the left if that action necessitates driving on that part of the highway designated for travel in the opposite direction, and

(g) if a traffic control device directs slow moving traffic to use a designated lane, must when driving slowly drive the vehicle in that lane only.

I recall other people have mentioned this as well on multi-laned roads. I even remember someone talking about "passing on the left" by crossing the yellow line, and then saying "multi-laned roads are a different story of course".

It makes sense too since if it's multi-laned, there should be no reason to pass using the oncoming lane. You have other lanes to use. On two-lane roads there is no other lane that's why you have to pass on the left. e.g. when was the last time you ever saw anyone pass using the oncoming lane on a busy multi-laned road?

Please let me know if I'm reading into this wrong.

thanks

sho_bc 09-12-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXQBLGH (Post 6589056)
when was the last time you ever saw anyone pass using the oncoming lane on a busy multi-laned road?

Last night, but he was really, REALLY drunk. ;)

skidmark 09-12-2009 06:30 PM

Perfect! I wish more people could back up their assertions like this.

underscore 09-12-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXQBLGH (Post 6588705)
Or perhaps it's just a subtle way of saying "this street is busier than your average multi-laned roads and thus you should be more careful".

Only reason I can really think of. Or would double solid mean you can't turn into a driveway on the left side of the street, while single solid means you can make a left turn when safe?

E=mc˛ 09-12-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6589689)
Or would double solid mean you can't turn into a driveway on the left side of the street, while single solid means you can make a left turn when safe?

I'm thinking that's what they had in mind when they painted the lines.

(of course this doesn't follow the MVA)