REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
I don't get it

Single/double yellows on MULTI-LANED roads. Do they serve a purpose?

Just wondering as this just popped into my mind while driving today.

Yes, normally single yellow = passing allowed when safe, double = no passing, but these only apply to two-lane roads (1 lane each direction). On a multi-laned road, however, like hastings, kingsway, broadway, etc. it is illegal to cross the centre line to pass

Since the MVA states that you are NEVER to cross the centre line to pass a vehicle on a multi-laned road, then what's the purpose of marking certain multi-laned streets with a single solid yellow (e.g. Hastings or Broadway) vs double solid yellow (Kingsway, Bridgeport Rd, etc.)?

Why have different markings for different streets?

Or perhaps it's just a subtle way of saying "this street is busier than your average multi-laned roads and thus you should be more careful".
Advertisement

Last edited by E=mc˛; 09-12-2009 at 12:09 AM.
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXQBLGH View Post
Since the MVA states that you are NEVER to cross the centre line to pass a vehicle on a multi-laned road
Perhaps you could post a link to the specific section of the MVA that says this for us.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA
Driving on laned roadway

151 A driver who is driving a vehicle on a laned roadway

(a) must not drive it from one lane to another when a broken line only exists between the lanes, unless the driver has ascertained that movement can be made with safety and will in no way affect the travel of another vehicle,

(b) must not drive it from one lane to another if that action necessitates crossing a solid line,

(c) must not drive it from one lane to another without first signalling his or her intention to do so by hand and arm or approved mechanical device in the manner prescribed by sections 171 and 172,

(d) when approaching an intersection intending to turn left must drive the vehicle in the centre lane or in the lane nearest the centre of the roadway on the right hand half of the highway,

(e) when approaching an intersection intending to turn right must drive the vehicle in the lane nearest to the right hand side of the roadway,

(f) must not pass a vehicle on the left if that action necessitates driving on that part of the highway designated for travel in the opposite direction, and

(g) if a traffic control device directs slow moving traffic to use a designated lane, must when driving slowly drive the vehicle in that lane only.
I recall other people have mentioned this as well on multi-laned roads. I even remember someone talking about "passing on the left" by crossing the yellow line, and then saying "multi-laned roads are a different story of course".

It makes sense too since if it's multi-laned, there should be no reason to pass using the oncoming lane. You have other lanes to use. On two-lane roads there is no other lane that's why you have to pass on the left. e.g. when was the last time you ever saw anyone pass using the oncoming lane on a busy multi-laned road?

Please let me know if I'm reading into this wrong.

thanks

Last edited by E=mc˛; 09-12-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
when was the last time you ever saw anyone pass using the oncoming lane on a busy multi-laned road?
Last night, but he was really, REALLY drunk.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

Perfect! I wish more people could back up their assertions like this.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,912 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Or perhaps it's just a subtle way of saying "this street is busier than your average multi-laned roads and thus you should be more careful".
Only reason I can really think of. Or would double solid mean you can't turn into a driveway on the left side of the street, while single solid means you can make a left turn when safe?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Or would double solid mean you can't turn into a driveway on the left side of the street, while single solid means you can make a left turn when safe?
I'm thinking that's what they had in mind when they painted the lines.

(of course this doesn't follow the MVA)