REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   can a cop give me a ticket just by looking at my plates? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/589114-can-cop-give-me-ticket-just-looking-my-plates.html)

c32 09-13-2009 12:58 PM

can a cop give me a ticket just by looking at my plates?

i was on my way to work, going down knight st to richmond, i seen 2 coper bikes in an alley but no cop, then i saw him run to the middle of the road and i swore he was looking at my plates... i was only going 60, maybe he waved down the guy behind me?

well anyways could a cop give me a ticket by just using the liscence plate number? and if they can would there be any points and possible of disputing it?

CRS 09-13-2009 02:21 PM

No points.

Tickets based on a license plate would be issued to the owner of the vehicle and would not carry any points. Sure you can dispute but you even said that you were going 60. Assuming you were within a city, you're caught. Why bother disputing a ticket you deserved?

skidmark 09-13-2009 09:18 PM

I always used the plates as a starting point in an investigation. The registered owner must tell you who was driving, so I would then deal with the driver. If I ticketed them, they got points on conviction.

CRS 09-14-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6591058)
I always used the plates as a starting point in an investigation. The registered owner must tell you who was driving, so I would then deal with the driver. If I ticketed them, they got points on conviction.

I was always under the impression that if you ticket the operator of the vehicle (driver) and under conviction, there are points. But if it is to the owner for the vehicle (not necessarily the driver) and under conviction there are no points...?

skidmark 09-14-2009 09:51 AM

If you ticket the registered owner (using the registered owner check box on the ticket instead of the driver check box) then there are no points involved in a conviction. What I was saying is that I made the effort to track down and ticket the driver instead of just stopping at the registered owner.

Also, if the registered owner is both the owner and the driver, (check the driver box on the ticket) then the registered owner gets points on conviction.

Gnomes 09-19-2009 10:57 AM

Being ticketed for going 60 in a 50 zone... maybe the officer think it's cruel enough for the ticket and chose not to be even more cruel and get you points?

sho_bc 09-19-2009 11:32 AM

I pulled someone over yesterday who thought they were driving 60km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. Except that in reality, they were driving 83km/hr. ;)

EG6EXCLUSIVE 09-29-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6591594)
I was always under the impression that if you ticket the operator of the vehicle (driver) and under conviction, there are points. But if it is to the owner for the vehicle (not necessarily the driver) and under conviction there are no points...?

i thought the exact same thing..

Supafly 09-29-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6600578)
I pulled someone over yesterday who thought they were driving 60km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. Except that in reality, they were driving 83km/hr. ;)

isn't that excessive speeding which is $368 with an additional 3 pnts?

sho_bc 09-29-2009 12:39 PM

Excessive speeding is 40km/hr+ above the speed limit. 83km/hr in a 50km/hr zone is a $196 fine.

skidmark 09-29-2009 06:39 PM

Any speeding ticket is the same thing, 3 points on conviction.