REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

can a cop give me a ticket just by looking at my plates?

i was on my way to work, going down knight st to richmond, i seen 2 coper bikes in an alley but no cop, then i saw him run to the middle of the road and i swore he was looking at my plates... i was only going 60, maybe he waved down the guy behind me?

well anyways could a cop give me a ticket by just using the liscence plate number? and if they can would there be any points and possible of disputing it?
Advertisement
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
No points.

Tickets based on a license plate would be issued to the owner of the vehicle and would not carry any points. Sure you can dispute but you even said that you were going 60. Assuming you were within a city, you're caught. Why bother disputing a ticket you deserved?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Retired Traffic Cop

I always used the plates as a starting point in an investigation. The registered owner must tell you who was driving, so I would then deal with the driver. If I ticketed them, they got points on conviction.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
I always used the plates as a starting point in an investigation. The registered owner must tell you who was driving, so I would then deal with the driver. If I ticketed them, they got points on conviction.
I was always under the impression that if you ticket the operator of the vehicle (driver) and under conviction, there are points. But if it is to the owner for the vehicle (not necessarily the driver) and under conviction there are no points...?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

If you ticket the registered owner (using the registered owner check box on the ticket instead of the driver check box) then there are no points involved in a conviction. What I was saying is that I made the effort to track down and ticket the driver instead of just stopping at the registered owner.

Also, if the registered owner is both the owner and the driver, (check the driver box on the ticket) then the registered owner gets points on conviction.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Being ticketed for going 60 in a 50 zone... maybe the officer think it's cruel enough for the ticket and chose not to be even more cruel and get you points?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

I pulled someone over yesterday who thought they were driving 60km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. Except that in reality, they were driving 83km/hr.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I was always under the impression that if you ticket the operator of the vehicle (driver) and under conviction, there are points. But if it is to the owner for the vehicle (not necessarily the driver) and under conviction there are no points...?
i thought the exact same thing..
EG6EXCLUSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I pulled someone over yesterday who thought they were driving 60km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. Except that in reality, they were driving 83km/hr.
isn't that excessive speeding which is $368 with an additional 3 pnts?
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

Excessive speeding is 40km/hr+ above the speed limit. 83km/hr in a 50km/hr zone is a $196 fine.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Retired Traffic Cop

Any speeding ticket is the same thing, 3 points on conviction.