REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Exclamation Help Plz: Neck Pain and Back Muscle

It's been a while since I've posted here; been too busy to hit the gym.

Problem:
I get a lot of neck pain. Probably because I do a lot of desk work such as computer and drawing on drafting table. There was a time when it was so bad I would have headaches daily, and I gotta take tylenol everyday. So eventually I went for massage therapy. After trying 3 different therapist I stayed with 1, but everywhere is around $45 for 30mins. Fortunately MSP covers like 10 a year and makes it $10-ish.

Question:
A friend of mine was involved in a car accident and she hurt her neck. Her case is much more severe of course, and she has to go to chirotherapy regularly. Her physician suggested her to train her trapezius, so muscle would support her neck and head. Would that be applicable to my case? What exercises would you guys suggest? This should be a endurance training with low weight and high reps?

Cheers!
Advertisement
"With chocolate, you know what you're gonna get and I can't always be delicious."
Gachinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I don't know about working your muscles....but maybe instead check your posture when you're at work
Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

I try very hard to be aware of that already. The only other thing that I can and should do is take regular breaks and stretch every 45 minutes as doc suggests, but realistically how often can you do that.

The other things is that I have to be careful not to do the wrong workout, and make my neck pain worse.
"With chocolate, you know what you're gonna get and I can't always be delicious."
Gachinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

chiro and massage therapy will definitely solve your issues but you have to figure out what the root cause is

back exercises and stretching can definetly help... maybe check out your chair or workstation? i solved alot of back issues after i got a new office chair
Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Your friend hurt her neck in an acute accident, so her treatment plan may or may not apply to your chronic condition.

1. Ask your workplace wellness association (or read a book) about ergonomic postures and equipment setup (e.g. monitor at proper viewing angle, chair adjusted properly, etc). Use this as an excuse to order a cool new chair!

2. Working your supporting muscles may help, but it won't be a magic cure. If something is injured, one thing you can do is work the muscles around it to support it and protect it. Be careful not to aggravate it though, and learn proper technique.

3. Find a good Chiro that is versed in physical therapy modalities, or visit a good physio. Your doc may not offer much help unless they are specialized or have additional training.

4. Neck/back pain is among the hardest to diagnose/treat, and also the most common musculoskeletal disorder. Most of it resolves on its own over time, and for various reasons! If it doesn't resolve, then there must be some aggravating factor that you haven't explored! Just be patient, do not aggravate it, look at therapies to increase comfort, and come to the realization that there is no magic cure. Try different things (accupuncture, etc) if traditional methods do not help you!
langdon_olger is offline   Reply With Quote