REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Question Cabo San Lucas... anyone gone?

I'm trying to book a 7 day trip for february to Cabo with a group of friends. Prob 6 or 8 of us going (all couples). I want to stay at an all inclusive 4.5-5 star resort in the best area in Cabo.

Has anyone travelled there and if so can you share your experiences with which hotel you stayed in and if you would recommend it.

I have never been to Cabo but I was wondering what their night life is like compared to say Cancun. I imagine we will prob want to go clubbing once or twice.

Also are there a lot of other things to do in and around Cabo?? I wanna rent sea doos or else a boat.

Please share your experiences!!

Thanks
Advertisement
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

My fiance and I went to Cabo last May and we stayed at Riu Santa Fe. I would definetely recommend it. The resort was nice and clean, the staff were friendly, the mini bar was restocked all the time. There is 1 buffet restaurant and 4 ala carte. It is right on the beach (although if you are not in an ocean view room it is about a 5 minute walk to the beach) Pools are nice and big. Plenty of bars including swim up bars. The only thing is the walls are pretty thin, which may be common in mexico but we heard what our neighbors were doing at night The reservation system for the ala carte restaurants could also be improved as you do need to get up early to get a spot for the following night espcially for the steak restaurant. My finance's favorite was the mexican restaurant. The portions were large and we could never finish the food.

There is plenty to do around Cabo. You can go to the dock and rent sea doos or a boat. We went parasailing, snorkelling and took a tour of the different cities. Other people also rode ATVS, swam with the dolphins etc.

We are not really clubbing people so I can't really comment on the nightlife. Our hotel did have nightly clubbing tours where they took a group to different clubs. I would imagine that their nightlife is not as good as Cancun, which is more of a party town.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to pm me if you want anymore info.
Nazzy_GURL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #3

I went there last month with a big group and stayed at the riu sante fe which is a 5 star resort. It was 7 days all inclusive. As for the resort, I would definitely recommend it. Resort itself is very big as its in the same compound as the riu palace which is the more expensive of the two. Food at the place was awesome, there were 4 specialty restaurants and a buffet. The restaurants all required reservations that started at 8am. Did all my meals at the buffet and breakfst and dinner everyday was superb.

The resort has two main swimming areas, one by the ocean which has a sick infinity pool, and the other at the center of the resort.

As for the nightlife, the clubs in cabo are not as big as the ones in cancun (e.g the city) but its 100x better than anything here in vancouver. The town of cabo is actually pretty small so theres pretty much only a handful of clubs and bars u can hit up. Mandala was my favorite, its a must see if ur going clubbing. Its got a open roof on the upstairs which i thought was dope. Next door to mandala is squid roe which is a 3 storey club. And make sure u check out cabo wabo too, as its the towns main attraction famous for their tequila. The clubs in cabo all dont have cover charge so u can walk in and out as many times as u please.

Daytime activities: atv, ski doo, visit downtown. Atving was my favorite, it was like 60usd for 3 full hrs. for 2 hrs u follow the guide thru a course, and for the last hr u get to rip it around the beach by urself. Ski doo can be done at the resort on the beach think it was 40usd for half hr. Gets boring after 15 min imo.

Hope that helps.
cls55coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Went 2 summers ago and stayed at Riu. Horrible hotel in me and my gf's opinion. Although it depends on your preference when it comes to standards. Service was average at best, food was pretty bunk at the buffests and the A La Carte places. One thing I hated about this place was you need to go lineup at a certain time of day to book a reservation for one of the A La Carte restaraunts which is pretty retarded. For sure will not stay at anything Riu ever again.

You gotta check out Lovers Beach though. The place is amazing but getting on and off the beach is pretty dangerous. You take these little ass boats over and they take you close to the beach and you gotta jump off while the currents are pretty strong. When I jumped off last time I almost got crushed between 2 boats. However, once your on there it was amazing.

Night life is ok, when we went it wasn't that bumpin. Bhudda club is fairly new and was ok but dead. El Squid Roe was probably the funnest, it's a ghetto looking 2 level club but good times.

Will go more in depth later cause im at work lol.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)

hmm im looking for a place to go during christmas/new years.

How expensive is this place? Airflight looks decent at least. Is there any places offering packaged hotels/travel/inclusive?
lol FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol internet. View Post
hmm im looking for a place to go during christmas/new years.

How expensive is this place? Airflight looks decent at least. Is there any places offering packaged hotels/travel/inclusive?
Pretty much all places in Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and all those types of places are always all inclusive. Any place you go to will offer these packages whether you go to a travel agency or online like expedia, travelocity, itravel2000 etc

Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #7

mexico, and dr maybe, not as many package vacations to CR
bobsaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #8

My travel agent informed me yesterday that you cannot swim in the ocean at Cabo because of the under current? Like there are ppl standing on the beach to stop you incase you try to swim. Is this true??
Old 10-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

My bf and I went to Cabo for Christmas / New Year last year and we had a great time! We stayed the Tesoro Los Cabos. The hotel was average... nothing too crazy. The pool kind of sucked though. I believe it was a 3.5 star hotel. It's right on the marina which is a great location because you are in the middle of everything. Food, shopping, clubs, etc. are all really close by. Unfortunately it is a little walk to get to the beach, but the hotel offers a shuttle that takes you there if you are too lazy to walk.

We didn't do all inclusive... given the location, this was probably the best decision we ever made. The street food and local restaurants were AMAZING! I crave it almost on a daily basis (and that's not even a joke). Don't be scared to venture out and try it. You'll be missing out BIG TIME if you don't.

The night life is really fun. El Squid Roe and Mandala were the two that we had the most fun at. They are located side by side. Cabo Wabo was pretty good too... older crowd there though. Go to Rip's bar and order a rainbow shot. They pour a bunch of liquor into a mixer, shake it up and pour it into nine shot glasses and they all come out a different colour. It tastes all the same but its so neat to watch.

If you decide to shop on the beach, make sure you bargin bargin bargin!!! Whatever they ask for, offer 1/4 of it... seriously! I bought a set of silver bracelets for $5... they originally asked for $75.

If you are 28 and over, and you are willing to spare a few hours of your morning, do the time share presentations. You get a free breakfast out of it and about $300 (usd) in money and / or gifts. Make sure to deal with the time share presentation guys, the less they give you, the more they make. Shoot for about $300 cash or whatever you think is worth that in tours. We got to swim with the dolphins for free... couple hundred dollars in dinner vouchers... glass bottom boat tour... sunset booze cruise... bottles of tequila... etc.

Tesoro Los Cabos - Hotel on the Marina

Medano beach

Chorizo tacos... the best thing in the whole entire world!

Glass bottom boat tour

24 hour restaurant... a meal (ex. 4 tacos or 3 tostados) with beer = $6.00 USD
miss604si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #10

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Would you guys go back to Cabo? Or choose another Mexican destination ?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by idga-f View Post
My travel agent informed me yesterday that you cannot swim in the ocean at Cabo because of the under current? Like there are ppl standing on the beach to stop you incase you try to swim. Is this true??
Yes, the currents are insane. When I was there no swimming was permitted. You know how your lying on the beach and the water comes in and out always to a certain point? Well I saw tons of people lying on the beach and out of no where the water would come up way past that point and you see people scattering but it's pretty funny. You'll even see HUGE cruise ships docked and the ship is getting rocked back and fourth.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #12

That's crazy.. my friends and I are thinking about going back to Cancun.. bla already been there tho... this sucks!!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #13

yup i would go back for sure
cls55coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by idga-f View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Would you guys go back to Cabo? Or choose another Mexican destination ?
I've only been to Cancun and Los Cabos back to back years and in my opinion I liked Cancun a lot more. This isn't because the hotel I stayed in Cancun was unbelievably awesome and the one in Los Cabos sucked but I just liked that there was a bit more in Cancun and the beaches and water were so much better.

The beach in Cabos was semi rocky and the water had crazy currents. The beach in Cancun was pure white sand with no rocks and the water was crystal clear and calm but that's just me. A big part of my Mexico trips involve just lounging on the beach so this for me was a factor.