REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   [Confidential] Age, age, and age (https://www.revscene.net/forums/590365-%5Bconfidential%5D-age-age-age.html)

El Bastardo 09-23-2009 09:40 PM

[Confidential] Age, age, and age

The following is an Anonymous submission from a Revscene member. If the OP would like to respond to anything said in this thread, please PM me.

I'm 24 and she's 17. What do you guys think? Go or no go?

!Nhan 09-23-2009 09:52 PM

Honestly, as someone who was in a relationship with a big age gap (5 years), it's really up to you whether or not you want to date her. Who really gives a shit what other people think? If she's at the same maturity level as yourself then why not? what do you really have to lose? Also, is she finished HS and in first year post secondary? If she's still in HS it might make things a bit harder, but if she's done it should be a lot smoother.

In the end, it's your choice and only your choice so who really cares what other people think or say? It's not their relationship it's yours.

misteranswer 09-23-2009 10:01 PM

Brian Mulroney is 14 years older than his wife. They met when she was 18.

hirevtuner 09-23-2009 10:13 PM

just think of celine dion with his husband...u get the idea

CRS 09-23-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !nhan (Post 6606856)
Honestly, as someone who was in a relationship with a big age gap (5 years), it's really up to you whether or not you want to date her. Who really gives a shit what other people think? If she's at the same maturity level as yourself then why not? what do you really have to lose? Also, is she finished HS and in first year post secondary? If she's still in HS it might make things a bit harder, but if she's done it should be a lot smoother.

In the end, it's your choice and only your choice so who really cares what other people think or say? It's not their relationship it's yours.

She's 17.... That means she is in grade 11 or just started grade 12. Grade 12s are typically 18 years old. That is why most first years can't even drink because they aren't 19.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirevtuner (Post 6606883)
just think of celine dion with his husband...u get the idea

I didn't know Celine Dion is a dude.

And to the OP, don't do it. If it was meant to be, wait it out a little bit and let her mature first. 17 year olds bring drama that you'll think is retardedly irrelevant to life but is the HUGEST issue to her.

I say wait till she graduates from HS. And even then, wait like a year or half a year.

jtanner_ 09-23-2009 10:53 PM

Hm, I don't think the age difference is really a big deal so long as you guys have a mutual affection for each other. Getting into a relationship like that however, flame shields on bro, cause there are definitely going to be people who will think differently about it. This is related more-so to her peers imo than yours...

Looking at what nhan said... if she's 17 she's probably in grade 12 as of this year.. and looking back at my grade 12 year there were definitely a lot of people on different levels of maturity... and I can see something like this potentially being 'worthwhile' to talk about or poke fun at in their eyes.. but i'd also say this relates to her reputation in that aspect as well...

All in all, what have you really got to lose? If the emotions are there, I don't think simply age should hold you back.

Edit- Going off of what CRS said... I agree with him with...
Quote:

17 year olds bring drama that you'll think is retardedly irrelevant to life but is the HUGEST issue to her.
But how that rolls out would be based off of her maturity level... one of my good friends is 24, and his girlfriend is in grade 12 and turned 18 recently, the age difference doesn't bother her in the least, but I do know that there have been cases where she's been bugged by her peers because of her boyfriends age...

!Nhan 09-23-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6606950)
She's 17.... That means she is in grade 11 or just started grade 12. Grade 12s are typically 18 years old. That is why most first years can't even drink because they aren't 19.

Not entirely true, if she was born in the end of the year technically she'd be in first year but still 17.

MR_BIGGS 09-23-2009 11:02 PM

The age difference isn't the issue for me..Her being 17 makes it weird....if i was her dad, wow, i'd go ballastic..

illicitstylz 09-24-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 6606962)
The age difference isn't the issue for me..Her being 17 makes it weird....if i was her dad, wow, i'd go ballastic..

ballastic
- 2 dictionary results
bal⋅last
  /ˈbæləst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bal-uhst] Show IPA
Use ballastic in a Sentence
See web results for ballastic
See images of ballastic
–noun
1. Nautical. any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability

I'm 21 and i tried with a 18 year old and its such a big difference in terms of maturity let alone the activities our crews do and topics of conversations, couldn't take how stupid they were.

El Bastardo 09-24-2009 12:18 AM

The following is a reply from the Anonymous member

Yea the fact that she's only 17 and gr 12 kinda bothers me a bit, that's why im kinda hesitant. Waiting for her to be mature enough is gonna be too long for me too if i think about it haha...

Durrann1984 09-24-2009 12:21 AM

if u like her enough just go for it

age really is a number

not all 17 year olds are drama queens or immature

hotjoint 09-24-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrann1984 (Post 6607069)

age really is a number

:werd:

Mugen EvOlutioN 09-24-2009 07:21 AM

do it from behind

icemiko 09-24-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

age really is a number

+1

I dated girls that was 5-6 yrs younger then me before too.

Presto 09-24-2009 09:04 AM

I'm 30 and the girlfriend is 20. I, initially, didn't want to go for someone that was 10 years younger. It also violated the X/2+7 rule ;). In the end, I decided to go for it because:

1. She was a lot more mature than other girls her age, and I'm immature for my age, so there's a middle ground :)
2. She shared similar interests, and was at the same level of faith as myself.
3. She knew what she wanted out of life.
4. She was irresistibly cute and hot.

We've been going out for 4 months now, and we get along great. We understand each other, and disagreements, while far and few between, are handled in a civil manner. The main contributor in keeping us together is the constant, open communication. I say as long as both of you are mature enough to handle the relationship, then go for it. Age is just a

ra1nn 09-24-2009 10:08 AM

my bf is 22 and i'm 18~
it's not a big problem :)
im not a drama queen and we've been together for years

DGiRL 09-24-2009 11:01 AM

Like Presto said, there's a lot of other contributing factors. Not all 17 yr olds are as immature as you think.

My dating limit has always been max 6 years above.. When I was 14 I dated someone who was 19 for 2 years. It worked at the time in our own way, but ended cuz dude was too caught up in the age difference..but even now his family still asks about me and says I'm the best gf he ever had...and when I go over to visit they're always happy to see me lol

basic rule is if you want her bad enough then go for it. if not, then that's your call.

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 09-24-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 6607351)
I'm 30 and the girlfriend is 20. I, initially, didn't want to go for someone that was 10 years younger. It also violated the X/2+7 rule ;). In the end, I decided to go for it because:

1. She was a lot more mature than other girls her age, and I'm immature for my age, so there's a middle ground :)
2. She shared similar interests, and was at the same level of faith as myself.
3. She knew what she wanted out of life.
4. She was irresistibly cute and hot.

We've been going out for 4 months now, and we get along great. We understand each other, and disagreements, while far and few between, are handled in a civil manner. The main contributor in keeping us together is the constant, open communication. I say as long as both of you are mature enough to handle the relationship, then go for it. Age is just a

very similar reasoning for me too. i'm 28 and bf is 23. he's more mature and responsible than the typical 23 year old but still lots of fun which works great for me because i don't feel 28 besides having a mortgage to look after. we both want the same things in life.

you should find out what she wants... as in an actual relationship where if things worked out you guys would be together in the long run? or just a short term thing.

jbsali 09-24-2009 02:21 PM

If i were you id wait till a girl is out of highschool. otherwise its just weird. IMO

lonelydriver 09-24-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

age really is a number

There are some 30 year olds that still act like they just came out of high school or something...

And it isn't weird for a 24 year old dating a 17 year old. As long as she doesn't make you look like a pedophile, go for it. Remember, it is either you or someone else's sloppy seconds.

Gesus 09-24-2009 03:42 PM

age doesn't really matter if they love each other

Orion 09-24-2009 04:04 PM

unless she's a minor its never about age... if you let a thing like age get between you and somebody you like... you're not ready for it

CorneringArtist 09-24-2009 04:06 PM

Coming from a high-schooler's perspective here, I don't see much wrong, really. If she was in fact one of those girls who are constantly involved in drama, I would avoid since you'd probably be dragged into it too. But if she's one of those mature girls (a bit of a rarity at my school) then I say stay, you've got no penalty in doing so, maybe a bit restricted in doing things with her (if she's one of those straight-laced girls).

Kamui712 09-24-2009 04:18 PM

eh. age is relative, you can date whoever you want it's about chemistry.

Inaii 09-24-2009 09:07 PM

I used to think age mattered a lot. But I'm realizing now (since I'm very interested in someone who's quite a bit younger than me) that as long as the two of you mesh, it shouldn't matter (unless it's a legal concern).