REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Opening the Door

Imagine the surprise of the motorist at a collision I once investigated. He parked at the side of the road, opened his door, and a passing car tried to tear it off! It's a good thing he didn't step out while he opened the door.

What went wrong here? The motorist didn't look first, or didn't see what was overtaking him. He probably felt safe in the fact that he had stopped close to the curb and was out of harm's way.

Failing to look or see when you open your door poses a significant threat to cyclists. They must use the right hand edge of the roadway and are difficult to see because of their size. The cyclist that slams into an opening car door can be seriously injured.

People must not open the door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so. Once a door on that side is open, it must not be left open for longer than is required to load or unload passengers. One must always look carefully in the rear view mirror for any overtaking traffic before opening that door.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
i almost take a door off every day driving in vancouver. on the small side streets, people just swing their doors open like it's their RIGHT to do so and if anyone has anything to say about it they will get mad... well one of these days there will be a car coming towards me and some retard is gonna open their door in front of me and i'll have no choice but to take their door off... people are so clueless in vancouver.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
e-thugger*

People up here seem to wait until a car is coming then swing it open right before you pass them. Just the other day I see their door open an inch, then three seconds later right as I'm going by it goes swinging out and I see some lady jumping out. I drive a giant Lincoln. One day that door will just be gone.