REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

HID question

I just bought a 2006 infiniti g35 - the headlights were replaced due to a recall just a few weeks ago when i got it.

Im noticing the driver side bulb is much brighter than the passenger side bulb - person driving infront of me can tell - only at certain distances though. Ive checked myself and noticed the same.
The dealership says that the bulbs need to burn in and nothing is wrong with them. I assumed its an adjustment issue - but they said that there is no adjustment that can be made? Im old school and used to have an acura EL where the headlights positioning could be changed etc.

Is this true? or some bullshit?
let me know
thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
How I Mod your mother

They need to burn in? I dont think one should be brighter than the other
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
doesn't the G have self leveling lights?

check your owners manual
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Banned (BBM)

i say BULLSHIT

ok u do realize driver side is aimed different than passenge rright?

driver side lower than passenger side

so u dont blind on coming traffic

with ur H.I.V
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
have your car about 50 feet away from a white wall (side of building)

see if the level's right (equal from left to right) and the brightness
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Did they change BOTH your bulbs? Maybe its a different colour temperature? Check if they are both the same colour, usually factory are bright white-ish. Is the headlights themself aimed correctly? If they are projectors, then park your car facing a wall and you should be able to see the "cutoff" line for both your headlights.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Oh, just throwing it out there. Check if the colour of your headlights are the same as ur Acura EL, aka halogen bulbs, assuming you didnt swap HID into your EL.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
yeah it's BS.

I've had a same problem.

It's nothing to do with the bulb, it's more to do with the ballast.
I bought this McCullouch HID kit from eBay, the brightness were the same for first 2 years, then one side started to dim.
It's pretty common for some HIDs.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
degenerate extraordinaire

Most cars with factory HID's have an automatic level type deal going on

http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-sedan/2...ht-aiming.html ... weird that they say 06 sedans use reflector type headlights, not projectors...
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
Most cars with factory HID's have an automatic level type deal going on

http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-sedan/2...ht-aiming.html ... weird that they say 06 sedans use reflector type headlights, not projectors...
I don't think he has a problem with aiming...it seems like the bulb itself is brighter than the other.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
There are 2 issues at play.. most cars that don't have adaptive headlights.. the driver side is softer than the passenger side because of glare protection in either the reflector or the lens, it is to protect oncoming drivers from glare.

Gas takes time to settle.. that's why ideally you should replace both bulbs at the same time..
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I don't think he has a problem with aiming...it seems like the bulb itself is brighter than the other.
yeah I noticed, however he was also wondering whether the dealership was bs'ing him about not being able to adjust them
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #13

Well i mean they replaced both bulbs at the same time. This is a 2006 coupe with projectors/HIDs.
I honestly dont know if they changed the bulbs or the whole headlight. I bought the car used and they changed the "headlights" supposedly due to the recall.

My wife went to the dealership as I have no time to go in due to work. So i dont know if they are just being lazy. Im going to wait a week or two and see if "they burn in" I think one is aimed higher than the other - but they are saying that they cannot be adjusted? so maybe they are automatically adjusting type? I just got the car so I am not too familiar with all the details.

All i know is if u stand infront of the car they seem the same bright...if I drive infront of the car at about 10 feet they look the same...any distance further the driver side looks WAY brighter than the passenger side.....it fluctuates depending if we are hitting bumps etc in the road....i think its an adjustment thing - one is aimed higher than the other.

I guess i will wait, otherwise I will have to bitch them out on the phone or go in one day......
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

From your last post, it sounds like you aren't talking about a difference in brightness/luminance, but the cut-off or aim instead.

Well, one side is supposed to be 'higher' than the other but it should be due to the cut-off and lens design. As Mugen said, the driver side should be lower.

If you have projectors, the cutoff should be very clear. For example

You can google for HID cutoff and see tons of pics/results.
kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #15

Well maybe ur right about the cutoff? But the thing is why would one light appear brighter than the other to oncoming traffic or to a person looking in their rearview mirror?

Is that the adjustment or the bulb needing to burn in?

If i drive infront of our other car with HIDs they appear the same brightness when driving straight...i know sometimes they fluctuate depending on the angle etc that the car drives.

Who knows....sometimes i think keeping it basic is better...lol...acura EL with silverstars ftw - u need to adjust something stick a screwdriver in there!
Now everything is complicated....projectors/HIDs - stuff that i have no idea how to fix
Old 09-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Because two projectors are also focused at different focal points.. one is at infinite and one is at a closer distance.. hence one appear brighter than the other..

Basic high school optics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
Well maybe ur right about the cutoff? But the thing is why would one light appear brighter than the other to oncoming traffic or to a person looking in their rearview mirror?

Is that the adjustment or the bulb needing to burn in?

If i drive infront of our other car with HIDs they appear the same brightness when driving straight...i know sometimes they fluctuate depending on the angle etc that the car drives.

Who knows....sometimes i think keeping it basic is better...lol...acura EL with silverstars ftw - u need to adjust something stick a screwdriver in there!
Now everything is complicated....projectors/HIDs - stuff that i have no idea how to fix
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
hey i have the same prob , but mine are aftermarket HID's. my pass side is brighter than driver side. and both lights are aimed down towards the center .. so kinda like /\.

do i also have a prob? ive had these lights for ages .. proly since 2007 ?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri View Post
From your last post, it sounds like you aren't talking about a difference in brightness/luminance, but the cut-off or aim instead.

Well, one side is supposed to be 'higher' than the other but it should be due to the cut-off and lens design. As Mugen said, the driver side should be lower.

If you have projectors, the cutoff should be very clear. For example

You can google for HID cutoff and see tons of pics/results.
With the 06 with projectors the ouput should look something similar to this

with the recall, what i've noticed is that they replace the HIDs with a lower kelvin rating and is a bit yellower.

if they ARE they are different colours then it's probable that they only replaced one light. but for example's sake my non projected HIDs have the pass side a bit higher than my driver side.

as for adjustment, i don't think there is on the G35.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

http://g35driver.com/forums/body-int...rojectors.html

This might help you as well OP
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Because two projectors are also focused at different focal points.. one is at infinite and one is at a closer distance.. hence one appear brighter than the other..

Basic high school optics.
ummm i dont need a lesson on basic optics....trust me

It shouldnt appear brighter the way it is. Ive seen hundreds of cars with HIDs driving behind me, infront of me....I do not notice the difference in brightness when im driving the car. Its if im behind a vehicle and its reflecting of their trunk etc. As well as people driving infront of me have told me the same thing as well that the driver side light is much brighter than the passenger.

Thanks for input guys...i guess ill try and figure it out or talk to the dealership again