REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   home made steel bumpers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/590562-home-made-steel-bumpers.html)

stewie 09-25-2009 06:00 PM

home made steel bumpers

so on my 4x4, i have steel bumpers...made em with a buddy...

well, one of my buddies whos a welder was asking me if he could weld on maybe 6-8 3-4inch spikes on the front bumper to make it look more aggressive..(spikes would be facing out)

would i get in trouble for that or can i run around the streets driving normally with them?

sho_bc 09-25-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 6609324)
6-8 3-4inch spikes on the front bumper to make it look more aggressive..(spikes would be facing out)

would i get in trouble for that?

Yes.

Under the Schedule for Section 7.09 MVAR
Quote:

No part of a vehicle may have a sharp or ragged edge which could injure persons or objects.

sebberry 09-25-2009 08:55 PM

How do you injure an object :confused:

JHatta 09-26-2009 01:05 AM

this is not death race

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/res...MachineGun.jpg

stewie 09-26-2009 11:59 AM

Yes.

Quote:
No part of a vehicle may have a sharp or ragged edge which could injure persons or objects.

a car itself will injure a person or object, whats the difference?

projectcivic 09-26-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 6609881)
Yes.

Quote:

a car itself will injure a person or object, whats the difference?

Read the first part of the section stating NO part of the vehicle may have a sharp or ragged edge which could injure. The difference? Grab a baseball and get someone to throw it at you and have it hit you in the leg, next attach some screws sticking out of the ball and do the same thing. See the difference?

sho_bc 09-26-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectcivic (Post 6609967)
Read the first part of the section stating NO part of the vehicle may have a sharp or ragged edge which could injure. The difference? Grab a baseball and get someone to throw it at you and have it hit you in the leg, next attach some screws sticking out of the ball and do the same thing. See the difference?

I wouldn't have said it quite like that, but it gets the point across well enough. :thumbsup:

Rich Sandor 09-26-2009 11:33 PM

quite simply:

When I was younger, I was walking across the street (legally) and was hit by a taxi driver who was playing with his trip computer instead of watching the road. I basically just kinda wound up sitting on the hood of the taxi and sliding off harmlessly, BUT had the car had any sharp or jagged edges, I could have been screwed for life.

THAT is the difference and the reason why you can't put big metal spikes on your bumper.

Blinky 09-27-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 6610587)
quite simply:

When I was younger, I was walking across the street (legally) and was hit by a taxi driver who was playing with his trip computer instead of watching the road. I basically just kinda wound up sitting on the hood of the taxi and sliding off harmlessly, BUT had the car had any sharp or jagged edges, I could have been screwed for life.

THAT is the difference and the reason why you can't put big metal spikes on your bumper.

I find it disturbing that this even needs to be explained.

BD2002 09-27-2009 02:48 PM

WTF...

CRS 09-27-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinky (Post 6611169)

:thumbsup:

underscore 09-27-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinky (Post 6611169)

+1

you think you can just bomb around with freakin' spikes out the front of your truck? you slowly roll into someone normally, they get bumped. Roll into somebody set up like that and they'll die...

stevo911_ 09-27-2009 09:39 PM

i dont understand how those steel bumpers/brush guards/cow catchers are legal. Kinda negates the crash testing approval the bumpers go to when they're inside a steel cage

Rich Sandor 09-27-2009 10:47 PM

street legal brush guards do not have sharp edges that you can get cut or caught on. most of them are mandrel bent tubing.

zulutango 09-28-2009 12:03 PM

Those monkeys must be very skilled. :)

The Mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx) is a primate of the Cercopithecidae (Old-world monkeys) family, closely related to the baboons and even more closely to the Drill. Both the Mandrill and the Drill were once classified as baboons in genus Papio, but recent research has determined that they should be separated into their own genus, Mandrillus. The Mandrill is the world's largest species of monkey.

underscore 09-28-2009 12:59 PM

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

jlenko 09-28-2009 01:00 PM

Mandril or mandrel... just one "L" though..

Quote:

A mandrel (pronounced /ˈmændrɨl/, and also spelled mandril; in American English also called an arbor) is either an object used to shape machined work; a tool component that grips or clamps materials to be machined; or a tool component that can be used to grip other moving tool components.

An example of one type of mandrel is a shaped bar of metal inserted in, or next to, an item to be machined or bent in a certain pattern. Exhaust pipes in automobiles are frequently bent using a mandrel during manufacture. The mandrel allows the exhaust pipes to be bent into smooth curves without undesirable creasing, kinking, or collapsing.

Rich Sandor 09-28-2009 05:18 PM

Zulu's got monkeys on his mind. I guess after enough time being a police officer you realise humans aren't much different from monkeys afterall. I think monkeys are better behaved, though.

stevo911_ 09-28-2009 10:28 PM

at work we dubbed the labourers humanzee's which is fitting for a good chunk of the human population

stewie 09-29-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6611463)
+1

you think you can just bomb around with freakin' spikes out the front of your truck? you slowly roll into someone normally, they get bumped. Roll into somebody set up like that and they'll die...

well, maybe they wont be "spikes" maybe they'll be rounded nubbins...happy?

you may not like my truck now or ever, but its funny how once it starts snowing and all these cars that are only inches off the ground get stuck in a spot, its amazing how many compliments i get after ive just winched your butts out.

fukkeneh240 09-29-2009 06:25 AM

i've seen cars driving around with spikes coming out of the centre of the wheel/rim/hub cap. i think it was protruding 8 to 10 inches. kinda funny seeing it, but this was a few years ago.

CRS 09-29-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 6613376)
well, maybe they wont be "spikes" maybe they'll be rounded nubbins...happy?

you may not like my truck now or ever, but its funny how once it starts snowing and all these cars that are only inches off the ground get stuck in a spot, its amazing how many compliments i get after ive just winched your butts out.

But now you're comparing a truck vs a car. Hmmm in snow... what would I take..... Do the spikes add extra torque just like how stickers add extra horsepower?

stewie 09-29-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6613478)
But now you're comparing a truck vs a car. Hmmm in snow... what would I take..... Do the spikes add extra torque just like how stickers add extra horsepower?

Yeah man! Didn't you know? Spikes make you bad ass!!

Either way, I could care less what's said, I just want to know what would happen in the event of me being pulled over? Would the cop refuse to let me drive it? Cause if so I can easily unbolt my bumper in under 5 minutes..would I get a vi?

simsimi1004 09-29-2009 12:14 PM

after all thats been said, why the fuck would u still consider it?
u dont need know what would happen because u should not have them at all.

Imo i think a ticket and VI at MINIMUM and depending on the cop, maybe even tow?
im a civilian and am kinda getting pissed at the fact that someone would weld metal spikes on to their truck and drive it around in the city that i live in.
I wonder how pissed off a cop would get when hee sees metal spikes.

underscore 09-29-2009 12:39 PM

man you live in Van. Don't get me started on how hard we laugh at you guys when it snows for that one day a year. Up here, I see way more trucks in the ditch than cars when it's snowy. Might have something to do with the misplaced "invincibility" most truck owners seem to think they have.

As far as a VI I don't think cops will let you fix stuff roadside, but if you luck out they might. But then you're driving without a bumper, which is still a VI is it not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6613478)

no it's for every inch your truck is lifted, your dick get's 1 inch longer.