REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

BYOT Hobby Garage - Bring Your Own Tools

I'm sure this has been talked about before...I just didn't seem to find anything.

If you were able to rent a garage with hoist (and air) to work on your car for 4 hours at a time. What would be a reasonable rate you would pay?

What level of service would you expect for the rate you would pay?

(Leave Insurance and Liability out of this thread, please.)
Advertisement
Brandonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'd say $20 an hour at most.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You can already do this at Takeda.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Takeda in Richmond? How much do they charge?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)

letme guess.. u dont own a garage
604Housing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

No, I dont have a garage at home. Can't work on the street, or in the under ground.

Options?
Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonma View Post
No, I dont have a garage at home. Can't work on the street, or in the under ground.

Options?
so im guessing u live in an apartment/condo

i understand your frustration

easiest way is to ask a family member or a friend that lives in a house for permission to let you work on your car at their place for a few hours

or

buy a detached house in the suburbs or
buy newer row/townhouse with attached a 1 or dual garage preferably the ones with a larger front pavement
604Housing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604Housing View Post

easiest way is to ask a family member or a friend that lives in a house for permission to let you work on your car at their place for a few hours

or

buy newer row/townhouse with attached a 1 or dual garage preferably the ones with a larger front pavement
Are you a real estate agent? I mean your name is housing and all.....

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
In case you are wondering

http://dubberz.com/forum/index.php?topic=33284.0
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I think he wants to sell me a house.

Glad Godwin is on top of things.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Shouldn't it be BYOT instead of BOYT?
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

BYOT
KingCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Hopeless Romantic

Bring on your tools! haha. I think $20/hr seems pretty reasonable..
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:

or

Lol, i love how your alternative is to buy an entirely new property for what seems like a one shot deal.
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

And in this case, since 604Housing suggested it, I think i'm almost obligated to have him pencil the deal.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I'd love to access to a shop space, and even considered a condo building that had a wash bay and workshop in the basement.

I've read all the arguments against it: packing up tools, helping others, wrong/missing parts, stuck bolts, ... and yes those things would cause problems with this business model yet people are missing some of the benefits.

I used to work on my car in my driveway, where you have to deal with weather and lighting. There's times I would have loved to had a garage cause it would have made the job much easier, not stopping for nightfall (or dragging out the spot lights), or getting soaked cause it rained earlier than expected.

Now that I live in a condo building I'd love to have access to a garage to maintain my car: fluid changes, brakes, bushings, bearings, belts, sensors, ...
These things only require nominal hand tools, usually you have all the parts and a reasonable expectation of how long it'll take.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I already have the space for it. It wouldn't cost me too much more to offer something like this to the Revscene community...rules will need to made and followed.

Taylor192: What kind of things (besides location) would entice you to take advantage of a hobby garage like this?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

shit, i need a good jack, then i'll be in business.

Anyways, not a metion that u can still work during Winter. I tried to change oil in like November ish and it was just horrible. Being on the driveway means i gotta wear like a big sweater to keep myself warm. But at the same time u have a hard time moving around cuz of that big sweater. Then oil spill onto my sweater & i had to wear a oily sweater for an hour.

I dunno, a good garage w/ a hoist seems like a good idea

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonma View Post
Taylor192: What kind of things (besides location) would entice you to take advantage of a hobby garage like this?
Not much, I just want a space that is well lit and protected from the elements that I can reserve for a few hours. I don't even need a lift, yet one would be awesome.

Here are some problems to consider:
- scheduling. What happens if someone needs more time yet another customer had booked a time slot?
- tools. A system to borrow tools would be great.
- help. A staff member to show how to use the lift, or to lend a helping hand to break a bolt, ... yet drawing the line at being someone's assistant.
- fluid disposal, parts disposal. I think you'd get a good number of guys just wanting to do fluid changes, or swap out broken parts. Do you make them cart it away, or offer a disposal service?
- wifi. We all have laptops (come on, who doesn't?), we can bring our own if we want to follow online tutorials or use programs that detail how to take our cars apart. I usually sit mine on the passenger seat when wokring on my car.
- mess. What happens if I leak oil all over your shop?

I have all my own tools, my own overalls and boots, and enough know-how to work on my own car. Really all I want is a clean well lit area to work on my car.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
racing & tech mod.

Brandon, there are MANY reasons why there aren't 'communal garages' or 'public hobby garages' and you are not the first one to think of trying to start one. I'm not trying to piss on your idea, but trust me, it ain't gonna happen, and if it does, it's only a matter of time before shit starts to happen that causes it to get shut down.

I have a friend, who had gone in with 3 or 4 other friends to rent a barn in abbotsford, and they each pay like $300 a month to store their cars there and work on them. This is ideal. You go in with 3 or 4 close friends, set the ground rules, and everyone's happy.

If you start renting out space to strangers (revsceners or otherwise) you will be in for a world of hurt in very short order. Trust me.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I have a friend, who had gone in with 3 or 4 other friends to rent a barn in abbotsford, and they each pay like $300 a month to store their cars there and work on them. This is ideal. You go in with 3 or 4 close friends, set the ground rules, and everyone's happy
This is where this idea could work. With the downturn there should be a few empty warehouses around. If he just rented floor space and made everyone responsible for cleaning up their mess before they leave, he could do well. Offering any service above that becomes difficult, cause then you're managing expectations.

All I want is a solid floor protected from the weather, some space to work, and decent light.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #22
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I have heard of a place like this in Surrey. It shut down, but I haven't been able to find out for what reason.

But, there are such garages working in other countries...from what I gather, in Holland area.

I am particularly interested in whether "you" would rent such a facility. I cant say I have all the answers to this endeavour, but I managed shops before, and I do work in the trade. In addition, my facility has excess capacity to begin with.

Yes, there are lots to work out, logistically, and liabilities, but those are well under developement. I have thought about the details for about 6 months now.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
what happens if someone booked only 4 hours but they're running way behind and now their car's all apart and it can't be moved? what happens to the other guys who have booked the slot(s) after him?

but anyway, i'd definitely be interested in getting access to a lift. not sure exactly how much i'd be willing to pay for it, but whatever the going rate is would probably be fine. unless it started creeping pretty close to a shop's labor rate. in which case, laziness would probably win over =p.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #24
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

When you book the hoist, I will ask you a few things like what you want to do, and whether you have done it before. If I suspect that the amount of time you anticipate is less than what i know, then i will 1) advise you to book longer ; and 2) pby not book another person after you.

If you did take longer than booked and there is another waiting, I will either give him a different hoist, or advise him early on to not come. If your car is disabled and there are no parts available until a later time, I may ask you to clean up, and we will find a way to move your car off the hoist, and let another person use it as scheduled, and when a hoist and your parts arrive, I will put you on another hoist.

Failing that, we will judge on a case by case basis and work together for a solution.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #25
Banned (BBM)

Quote:

or

somebody needs a garage for couple hours to work on their car, and you wonna suggest him selling watever the place he lives in right now and buy a house/townhoues with garage so he can work on his car?
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote