REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Low Fat Diet (https://www.revscene.net/forums/591071-low-fat-diet.html)

quasi 09-30-2009 07:20 AM

Low Fat Diet

Don't rip me Skinnypup I need to do this for medical reasons and from directions by my doctor. I've used google but I was looking for some good low fat alternatives and or recipes.

willystyle 09-30-2009 08:37 AM

It's not the fat that you should look out for, it's the CARBS.

hal0g0dv2 09-30-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 6615077)
Don't rip me Skinnypup I need to do this for medical reasons and from directions by my doctor. I've used google but I was looking for some good low fat alternatives and or recipes.

like meat ?
or recipes ?
everyone is gonna shit on you about the fat thing how tons of good fat is good for you and carbs is bad, don't listen to them man

SkinnyPupp 09-30-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 6615077)

Find a new doctor

I'm not going to rip on you or anything like that. But depending on what your "medical reasons" are, your doctor could ignorantly be leading you to a very dangerous, painful (and shortened) life without knowing it. If you have a severe gut infection or something, and fatty acids are causing irritation, that's one thing. But if you tested for high cholesterol, a low fat diet is literally the last thing you want to do.

You are talking about making a severe life change here, going against everything your body is telling you. So at the very least, get another opinion from a knowledgeable doctor before going ahead with one recommendation that is going to change everything in your life.

Good luck.

Halogodv2 I thought you knew better man...

misteranswer 09-30-2009 11:20 PM

Alternatives to what recipes?

Chicken breasts and most fish are low in fat. There are also a lot of lean cuts of pork. How low does your doctor want you to go?

quasi 10-01-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6616516)
Find a new doctor

I'm not going to rip on you or anything like that. But depending on what your "medical reasons" are, your doctor could ignorantly be leading you to a very dangerous, painful (and shortened) life without knowing it. If you have a severe gut infection or something, and fatty acids are causing irritation, that's one thing. But if you tested for high cholesterol, a low fat diet is literally the last thing you want to do.

You are talking about making a severe life change here, going against everything your body is telling you. So at the very least, get another opinion from a knowledgeable doctor before going ahead with one recommendation that is going to change everything in your life.

Good luck.

Halogodv2 I thought you knew better man...

It's not for weight loss/diet related it's because my body isn't breaking down fat properly. It's temporary until the problem can be corrected either through medication or surgery.

I honestly don't know shit about food, if it taste good I eat it. I was just looking for some low fat alternative type foods, I don't eat fish which makes it kind of harder.

SkinnyPupp 10-01-2009 09:17 AM

Yeah I figured it was something like that. Find out why you aren't breaking fat down, and see if that can be corrected. Low-fat is not something you want to be doing for very long.

waddy41 10-06-2009 11:46 AM

I'm just curious, how do you or your doctor know that you're not breaking down the fat properly? What are the symptoms?

quasi 10-06-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waddy41 (Post 6623781)
I'm just curious, how do you or your doctor know that you're not breaking down the fat properly? What are the symptoms?

The main symptom for me was the constant pain at the bottom of my ribcage on the right side which is fairly common. I didn't know then but learned from him that's where the gallbladder is located which stores the bile produced by your liver that breaks down fat. When it isn't working properly the bile isn't getting out and isn't doing its job.

I've had some tests and that is the problem the good news for me is I may be able to correct it with a temporary diet change. I've been avoiding fats for just over a week and the pains are almost gone which is great but I have to do it for a while longer. Minimal fats for the next month and hopefully it heals itself enough where I won't have to get it removed. Then again having it removed isn't really that big of a deal now a days anyway. The hardest thing for me is dairy, I love cheese it's like the one thing I love eating.

So anyone got any good low fat alternative food ideas? :)

SkinnyPupp 10-06-2009 07:29 PM

Hopefully it's just temporary. My wife had similar symptoms before I met her, and ended up having to get her gall bladder removed. She is fine now, with the exception of occasionally having excruciating pain for a few hours. It used to be more frequent, now it happens once or twice a year.

There is no such thing as good low fat food.

willystyle 10-06-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogodv2 (Post 6616474)
like meat ?
or recipes ?
everyone is gonna shit on you about the fat thing how tons of good fat is good for you and carbs is bad, don't listen to them man

I lost 30lb on a HIGH FAT and LOW CARB diet. It's called the Keto Diet. Look it up on Wikipedia.

50g of carb and 150-200g of SATURATED FAT per day (depending on your weight, and body fat %).

Yeah, i'm gonna listen to you for what works best for me.

hal0g0dv2 10-06-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 6624449)
I lost 30lb on a HIGH FAT and LOW CARB diet. It's called the Keto Diet. Look it up on Wikipedia.

50g of carb and 150-200g of SATURATED FAT per day (depending on your weight, and body fat %).

Yeah, i'm gonna listen to you for what works best for me.

do i give a fuck no

willystyle 10-07-2009 11:42 PM

^ Great rebuttal.