REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

RE: Integra Power

Hi all,
I drive a '97 Integra RS (1.8 l4) for a summer daily. I already have AEM short ram and a Sheepdog catback exhaust; + Kumho Ecsta MXs and H&R ITR Road-race coilovers.

I need to take it to the track next season and I'm looking to add some power, while maintaining as much gas mileage as possible. I was thinking ITR engine swap? Any suggestions?

Also, what can I do on a smaller scale to boost up some bhp? (more affordable than a full engine swap -- may not be in the cards for this upcoming season)

Thanks!
Advertisement
Delta T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Banned (BBM)

need to make up ur mind

going FI or staying N/A

if staying N/A go with the B18C5 swap, dont bother with the GSR
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

FI?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
FI = Forced induction.... supercharger or turbo
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

oh right, I thinking probably N/a just in the interest of fuel efficiency and maintenance costs.... maybe turbocharge after an engine swap...
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

you need VTAKK
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
BAUTECC
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
d1

For the amount you'd have to spend on a b18c5 + swap, you're better off getting a turbo kit instead.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Your blessed and cursed at the same time, lol.

With so many options out there, you really need to decide exactly want you want, as well as how much realistically you're gonna want to spend.

Going with a type r motor swap would be awesome, but finding a good one in decent condition, with low kms, is tough and not cheap. But they are out there.

Going FI is awesome too, but again, not cheap to do properly. You'll always have people telling you there are cheap turbo kits out there, etc etc, but the thing to keep in mind, if you want a reliable set up, you have to do it right. I was planning on boosting my B18b, but after seeing how much it was gonna run me, is it really something I want to do to my daily driver? Nope. Maybe after I get a new car and turn my current car into a weekend racer. One I take to Mission and abuse on the weekends.

Have you thought about building up your current motor? Does it have lower kms? In good condition? If so, it's something to concider. Invest in a good header, throttle body, intake manifold, maybe more agressive cams, plus a good tune with aftermarket tuning software like Hondata or Crome. You could upgrade your clutch and pick up a lightened flywheel. All these will help your car become a lot quicker, and certainly more fun to drive. Plus, you'll still have decent gas mileage. But like I said, if your current motor is has hgher kms, then it might not be worth it.

Lots of things to concider, but thats half the fun
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

thanks for the pointers! That's exactly why I would hesitate to invest in a turbo kit. I just wonder if a B18B1 is worth putting that amount of work into? I don't know how much potential for improvement it has. Its currently 160xxx kms with a new timing belt and water pump at 155xxx.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

to be honest Delta T, i drive an ITR and it has similiar setup (intake,exhaust and stuff), for the amount of $$ you are going to spend, its either FI or change car...consider how much is it to FI and engine swap...they aint cheap rite.. and after all, you may not be satisfied with the power and such, why nt as well leave it and save some money for a turbo car that has alot more potential to go fast..like a R32GTR or STi
If you want more info on FI/NA build, there are tons of posts and dynographs on hondatech..
kroy546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

Yea, I'd like an R32GTR but I wouldn't like to daily right hand drive. I'm alright with the Integra for now...guess ill look more into just building into my current engine. A friend of mine recommended an ECU, he was really happy with his new one. Might investigate that some more..
Old 10-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
d1

Honestly, anything short of a turbo kit or a new motor will net very little noticeable gains.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1 View Post
Honestly, anything short of a turbo kit or a new motor will net very little noticeable gains.
I started off with the same motor, bone stock, and put some work into it. It is definately noticeable. Mind you the motor isn't in an Integra chassis. Can I hunt down and embarass STI's? No... but I'll tell you one thing, the car is a lot more fun to drive.

Putting money into your current motor isn't a waste, especially if you're planning on keeping it for a while.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Right on...that's what I really wanted to hear. I'm not super competitive but I love driving and I love my car.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
I am Hook'd on RS

Question:
What would an aftermarket ECU generally do to the mileage? Are there any other more minor power additions that would see some bhp gains while mainting as good a mileage as possible?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Depends how its tuned. Aftermarket ECU are all about tuneability. Adjusting fuel ratios and all that at X rpms.

Usually things that add hp, take away from gas mileage.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

you also gotta remember that the needle gets to the E faster if ur right foot is heavy as well.

drive smart = good mileage
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta T View Post
Question:
What would an aftermarket ECU generally do to the mileage? Are there any other more minor power additions that would see some bhp gains while mainting as good a mileage as possible?
Mine didn't suffer too badly. I can still get 350-400ish to a tank, and most of that is stop and go rush hour trafiic. This is just on a street tune tough. We'll see after the dyno tune if it gets any worse, though I doubt it will get much worse. And if it does, I most likely wont mind because the car will make a bit more power (with any luck).

Just keep in mind... the aftermarket ecu programs are there to maximize the effciencey of your motor, and to maximize your hp gains on top of making your car run a lot more smooth should you be running things like agressive cams.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Fuel efficiency and more power don't mix very well. It will depend on your tune and how you drive. I have a boosted b20 and I love it.. it's my summer car and I take it to the track from time to time. I can get a little over 400 km's per tank while hitting low boost everyday. I say FI is the best bang for buck. Just do it properly the first time and do a lot of research on what you need.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Spoon Fed's previous post hit the mark though.. you can base your choice on that hehe.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
You say you're going to the track next year but you need to know what kind of track. Do you plan on road racing or do you plan on hitting up the drag strip? If the drag strip, look into going N/A (all motor) or forced induction. If road racing, I would say stick to what you have now, go to the track, see how you like it, then build your motor. Anybody can jump into a Supra with 785rwhp but can't drive worth squat. As for road racing, you don't necessarily have to have a fast car. Once you learn how to properly control/drive your car and then feel that it's time to get more power out of it, then build it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #23
Banned (BBM)

i think its a waste building your current motor

just prepare $5g and do a C5 swap and be done with it, happy result decent reliablity.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

how much do you want to spend? I would say go with the LSVtec swap. Just get a b16 head and build that. While the head is out, swap the pistons for some ITR pistons or whatever you like. They do make higher compression cast pistons which are the same as oem. Then some nice bolt ons but it really depends on how much you want to spend. A GOOD header can run upto about 1000. I think this would be the best way to go for you. But its back to the money part. How much do you want to spend and what do you want to achieve with the build?
TheSalesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote