REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   The washing jeans thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/591530-washing-jeans-thread.html)

ilvtofu 10-04-2009 10:43 AM

The washing jeans thread

How often do you do it?
What's your technique?

NimbeeTT 10-04-2009 10:49 AM

Once a week at least.
Im a girl, so it's so annoying when i wear them for a day or two and they stretch and become looser so I gotta keep washing them all the time :(
I never throw them in the dryer though, it feels weird wearing them out of the dryer =/

MR_BIGGS 10-04-2009 10:56 AM

If I washed my jeans once a week, holy crap they would not fit me..do they fade??

I try not washing my jeans more than once a month. I have a few in rotation so it works out.

v.Rossi 10-04-2009 11:12 AM

yeah i just wash it whenever it's dirty. average a pair of jean gets washed once a month maybe.

techniques? check pockets for money, flip inside out? what techniques are there for doing the laundry?

MR_BIGGS 10-04-2009 11:15 AM

If you have dark denim jeans and hate that they bleed soak them in a bucket of vinegar and water overnight. The acidity of the vinegar helps to set the dye. Wash and hang dry afterwards and you’ll notice less bleeding the next time you wear them.

ilvtofu 10-04-2009 11:20 AM

^arr too much hassle >.< lol
once a month sounds reasonable

Do you wash jeans only with jeans or with your other dark coloured stuff?

ctsport 10-04-2009 12:19 PM

I have many pairs of jeans and I keep rotating b/t them so I don't have to wash them often. Maybe once every 2 months. I don't sweat much or work in a dirty environment either so that helps. I also hang them on a coat rack so they get aired b/t wears. All my jeans look and feel brand new. :D

jeffh 10-04-2009 01:00 PM

i wash mine weekly, with clothes in the machine, and then machine dry them
am i missing somehting here?

skyxx 10-04-2009 01:13 PM

You guys better flip the jeans inside out and wash them with cold water. :lol

ctsport 10-04-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 6621034)
You guys better flip the jeans inside out and wash them with cold water. :lol

Werd.

Also spot cleaning whenever possible also helps jeans last a lot longer. :D

LC21 10-04-2009 02:59 PM

Your jeans will fade ultra fast, and you'll wear your jeans out too quickly if you wash it every week. I'd say every 1.5 - 2months on an average pair of jeans. For raw denim, i'm sure many of you know about it already, atleast 6months or longer. *buy frebreeze, it works*

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 6620941)
If you have dark denim jeans and hate that they bleed soak them in a bucket of vinegar and water overnight. The acidity of the vinegar helps to set the dye. Wash and hang dry afterwards and you’ll notice less bleeding the next time you wear them.

No matter what you do, if you wear dark denim it will bleed regardless. You can try cuffing your jeans(folding them inside out) when you wear your sneaks to reduce bleeding.

lilkulit 10-05-2009 05:24 AM

i wash mine once every 2-3 months since im rotating around 10 pairs and only get to used them mostly on the weekend, i get atleast 3-5 wears each. i always hang them on a hook after wearing to air em out. i wash them inside out on cold water and delicate cycle and i only wash jeans with jeans. then i throw them in the dryer(delicate cycle again) for about 10-15mins but check it half way through and then i put them on a hanger to air dry.

unit 10-05-2009 08:57 AM

i dont wash them inside out because ive had loose threads getting caught in the washer before and ruining the jeans.

xtacy777 10-05-2009 09:39 AM

i usually steam my jeans between wear,
removes any odour especially if everyone around you smokes

Nintensity 10-05-2009 02:25 PM

I worked at Gap before, and learned from other Jean experts from other retail stores (Guess, Roots, Levis, Bootlegger, etc.)

Simply wash your jeans inside out under cold water.
The reason I wash them inside out is to prevent the outside being exposed to rubbing against other fabric while in the washing machine.
It also maintains the same material without no fade and no soften. Trust me, I remember washing my jeans right side up, and after about 10 washes, they felt so soft after. I like keeping my jeans the same condition as how they were purchased in the first place.

Next is using cold water. COLD WATER. rule of thumb. Warm water expands the material in the jean, stretching them and ruining the fabric.

Next is drying them. I hang dry. Simple. This prevents shrinkage and deterioration of the fabric.

ra1nn 10-05-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nintensity (Post 6622399)
I worked at Gap before, and learned from other Jean experts from other retail stores (Guess, Roots, Levis, Bootlegger, etc.)

The reason I wash them inside out is to prevent the outside being exposed to rubbing against other fabric while in the washing machine.
It also maintains the same material without no fade and no soften. Trust me, I remember washing my jeans right side up, and after about 10 washes, they felt so soft after. I like keeping my jeans the same condition as how they were purchased in the first place.

Next is using cold water. COLD WATER. rule of thumb. Warm water expands the material in the jean, stretching them and ruining the fabric.

Next is drying them. I hang dry. Simple. This prevents shrinkage and deterioration of the fabric.

:werd:

skyxx 10-05-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nintensity (Post 6622399)

Yup, The most simple way is the best way. :thumbsup: It doesn't matter if your jeans cost 40 dollars or 800 dollars. Treat it the same way and you'll be rewarded :)

Ilagon 10-07-2009 08:43 PM

I put my jeans in the tub with cold water. Just a cold soak with a little Dark Woolite and then hang dry. I wash my jeans every 4-6 months.

bossxx 10-08-2009 12:55 AM

I wash them inside out, cold water, hang dry. nothing special.

edit. I usually wash them every 2nd time I wear them. However if they smell after the first time then obviously I was them.

How on earth do you only wash your jeans once every 4 months? Maybe if you have 40 pairs of jeans I guess.

I only have maybe 10 pairs I wear regularly.

LC21 10-08-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilagon (Post 6625924)
I put my jeans in the tub with cold water. Just a cold soak with a little Dark Woolite and then hang dry. I wash my jeans every 4-6 months.

this works too....... soaking > machine washing.

Ulic Qel-Droma 10-08-2009 03:38 AM

never. haha

okay okay, once a few months after i got back from asia i decided half a year of grinding it up with hoes and cigarette smoke filled clubs, and countless spilt drinks, and sitting on dirty asian sidewalks, that i should wash them.

nosleepboy87 10-09-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 6626444)
never. haha

okay okay, once a few months after i got back from asia i decided half a year of grinding it up with hoes and cigarette smoke filled clubs, and countless spilt drinks, and sitting on dirty asian sidewalks, that i should wash them.

and i thought once a month was not enough :p

LC21 10-09-2009 12:23 AM

Woohoo got my imperial dukes! Not washing for atleast 6months! Don't care what my mom says. Gonna frebeeze this shit.

Ilagon 10-09-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC21 (Post 6627915)
Woohoo got my imperial dukes! Not washing for atleast 6months! Don't care what my mom says. Gonna frebeeze this shit.

Imperial's are dope. Its hard to make them fade, you gotta wear it a lot. I wish I got the Duke's instead of the King's. They're too baggy.

3xta 10-09-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbeeTT (Post 6620901)
Once a week at least.
Im a girl, so it's so annoying when i wear them for a day or two and they stretch and become looser so I gotta keep washing them all the time :(
I never throw them in the dryer though, it feels weird wearing them out of the dryer =/

just so you know that's really not going to help. You pretty much ruined your jeans. Next time you buy a new pair of jeans, if you DO have to wash them, wash them in cold water and hang dry them, when their fully dry, throw them in the dryer for like 10 minutes to soften them up.

Since your a girl, girl jeans all have elastin in them which makes them stretchy and more comfortable, everytime you wash them in hot water or dry them in the dryer, its making the elastin more and more loose which makes it harder for them to maintain their shape, which is why your jeans stretch out so quickly.

I barely wash my jeans, not because i'm dirty, but i dont really do much stuff in them, plus i have like 16 pairs in rotation, lols. But if i go clubbing or something, i have to wash them lol