REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #251
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I went to grab some gas after work and saw a toyota corolla driven by an elderly women slowly pull up into the pump behind mine. I watched closely as she unlocked her door and had her walking stick clenched tightly in her hand. I walked over and asked if she needed any help, she kindly replied that it was okay and she's been pumping her own gas for the last 40 years. It was a windy day and I could tell she needed assistance because the wind would blow the door shut as she attempted to get out of the vehicle. Despite her response I told her to stay in the car and I would pump the gas for her, all she would have to do is unlock the gas cap and tell me how much she wanted to fill up. Hesitant at first, she handed me a $5 bill and told me the "cheapest grade". I could see into the dash of her car and noticed the gas needle was basically at empty. I walked into the store and gave the clerk $20 and the pump number. I went back to her vehicle, hit regular, filled up the $20, closed her gas cap and told her she was good to go. She reached her hand out of the window and I assumed she wanted to shake my hand, instead she just held it and said thank you.

I walked back to my vehicle and watched her start her vehicle and pull away.

Why did give the clerk $20 instead of the original $5? I did it because I would not want to risk that poor old lady running out of gas on the way home. It's $15 that I could sacrifice knowing she'd be able to get home safely.

And What did I do with her $5? I bought a scratch card and won $50
Advertisement

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #252
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

People always think they're generous and caring but when it comes down to giving up something of yours to help someone else, many people would just walk by and ignore it. Even if it's a couple minutes out of your day or a couple dollars. That's the sad reality. Humanity is fucked, but we have to still make the best out of it.

I applaud everyone who tries to make a difference by offering your time, effort and money to help those less fortunate.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #253
My homepage has been set to RS

Nothing but a standup individual you are PeanutButter.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #254
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i was out hanging with friends 1 day and then just randomly a guy at least 40 years old approached us and handed us 20 dollars. He said when we are his age one day that we'd do the same.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #255
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I know it's traditional for only married couples to give out "lucky red pockets" but I decided to spread chinese new years to everyone and handed out pockets anyways!

I gave them away when I grabbed coffee at tim hortons, at the office, when I grabbed lunch and on the way home.

But Of course they had to say "gong hay fat choy!"

Happy Chinese New Years by the way.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #256
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
karma my friend. keep it up. the world needs more people like you
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #257
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
karma my friend. keep it up. the world needs more people like you
+1
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #258
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Instant karma returns.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #259
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Happened about 30 mins ago.

I'm at the 7-11 on Nanaimo/1st buying a lottery ticket before I head home. As I'm leaving and heading back to my car, I see this kid who's maybe 12 or 13 standing on the sidewalk near the bus stop crying. I walk up to him and ask him if everything is ok. He tells me that he lost his wallet and doesn't have money to hop the bus home. I offered him some money for the bus and went over to check the bus post to see if the bus was still running. Turns out it wasn't. He said he tried going into the 7-11 to use the phone but the clerk wouldn't let him (what a dick). I told him he could use my phone to call his parents to get picked up. He calls his parents, after his parents asked him a bunch of questions, he says to me "my dad wants to speak with you." I replied "sure". His dad basically thanked me for lending my phone to his son and stuff. He then asks me if it was possible for me to drop off his son home because his wife took the car to work. I was a bit hesitant but in the end agreed. Turns out the kid lived near Hastings, fairly close to Templeton.

Everything worked out well, he got home safe and his dad once again thanked me for helping him. It was a very strange incident, almost felt like it was a set up for some child predator bait scenario

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #260
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Wow, that's...weird. Good on you but I can't see asking a stranger to take my kid home, regardless of how kind they seem...over the phone. If that was my kid, I'd get there one way or another...no chance I'd ask some guy on the phone to bring him home.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #261
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post
People always think they're generous and caring but when it comes down to giving up something of yours to help someone else, many people would just walk by and ignore it. Even if it's a couple minutes out of your day or a couple dollars. That's the sad reality. Humanity is fucked, but we have to still make the best out of it.

I applaud everyone who tries to make a difference by offering your time, effort and money to help those less fortunate.
Is not humanity is fuck is the fact that there are too many ppl out there scamming you. People just learn to protect themselves.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/62735...vancouver.html

And then there is the famous Chinese dude that is around skytrain scamming ppl saying he needed to delivery Chinese mecidine but his car broke down.......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #262
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Something similar happened years ago. We were at the aquarium one night and it was closing. There was this lost japanese girl standing around. We asked her what she was waiting for and she said she just arrived to vancouver and was supposed to meet up with her home stay parents there. So she borrowed our phone since she didnt have one, and contacted the homestay family all the way in north bby. The family thought she was going to arrive tomorrow, so this was unexpected for them. Ended up driving her to the familys house, she asked for our address so we gave her a business address. Couple months later we recieved a postcard from japan from her parents thanking us for helping their daughter, and offering a place to stay if we ever decided to visit japan. The offer is probably over by now, but thats besides the point, lol.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #263
Hyde's Understudy

I hope you did it not because she was a Japanese girl lol
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #264
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
I hope you did it not because she was a Japanese girl lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Sorry, I think you may have me confused with another RS member, dbaz.

Did it because it was dark and everyone else was leaving. She was fairly cute though.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #265
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
So every Monday I'm at school from 8:00 - 4:00pm and last Monday I had somewhere to go immediately after, so I took the car to school. I got there relatively early, pa for my ticiket, and headed to class, but I realized that I had left my phone in the car. I head back to the parking lot, grab my phone and see a middle aged woman in distress who was parked beside me. She had pretty much locked all her belongings in her car, including her keys, except her wallet as she went to pay for the ticket. Her door was locked too, but slightly open. I offered her help and tried to open her door but to no avail. She then told me she was a prof at the school and that she had a class to teach in 10 minutes so she was pretty stressed out. Since she drove a 1990 Tercel, I figured she would have BCAA, so I asked her and it turned out that she did. I helped call BCAA for her and the fastest that they would get there was roughly 20 minutes.

She was pretty much screwed, so I took a leap of faith and offered her to keep my phone until BCAA called them upon arrival and left her with my student ID, building, and room number so she could return it. I almost forgot to remove the lock on my phone. Anyways, I headed back to class and then roughly at 9:20~ she came into the class and embarrassed me and returned my phone. She said she'd call me and thank me formally but she still hasn't, but that's okay. I felt pretty the whole day though.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #266
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Wow, that's...weird. Good on you but I can't see asking a stranger to take my kid home, regardless of how kind they seem...over the phone. If that was my kid, I'd get there one way or another...no chance I'd ask some guy on the phone to bring him home.
Few things that were odd about the situation.

1. Whats the kid doing out so late by himself. Buddy system would be smarter. Regardless, it's 1am, no kid around 13 should be out alone at that time.

2. Initial instincts didn't want me to offer a lift to the kid for multiple reasons. Mainly cause it would look sketchy as fuck.

3. I agree Ronin, I wouldn't do the same either. I was expecting the father to book it there on foot or something. An alternative I was going to suggest but didn't hit me at the time would have been to stay with the kid until his dad arrives. I mean, that's probably a bit safer than telling the stranger to drive off somewhere with your son. Then again, because it's a stranger, anything can happen

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #267
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I've a couple to share from my experiences although not of epic level compared to some here.

Working in the restaurant business I often have people leaving behind tons of random stuff. High end SLR camera's, iPhone 4's, LV/Chanel/Whatever wallets. I have never thought about keeping any of it and I hope they come back to retrieve it. (although I believe this is common restaurant etiquette)

There are couple items that I have no way of getting them back to their original owners, a couple of point and shoot cameras, random articles of clothing, hats, scarves, gloves, umbrellas (i have TONS of those) and after a few months if nobody has come back to claim them I just donate it all.

A few times when somebody leaves behind a wallet with all their information (Driver's license, credit cards, etc)... I would see where they live and drop it off in their mailbox if they weren't home, if it was too far out like Maple Ridge or Port Moody, then I would take it to the nearest police station and ask them to pass it on to the rightful owner, without a penny less.

One time somebody left their purse here, and inside was their paycheque made out by some company I never heard of before so I had to use my googling skills to narrow it down and I found out that this said company owns a couple of gay bars in town. So I called up one of them and asked them if "Brad" works there. The person on the phone put me on hold to check, came back a few minutes later and said no. I asked if they were sure because I have a paycheque made out to this person from your company. The person on the phone very rudely said NO and hung up on me...
So later that night I decided to go to the bar and ask again, lots of ... umm ... people were eyeing me... kind of awkard. I went to ask the bartender again if "Brad" works here because I have all his stuff. He said no again but he told me to wait he would get a server over here. The bartender asks the server about Brad ... and the server was like "Oh isn't that Breanna?" ... so she calls over this other .... ummm ... lady ... and she's like "OMG that's my purse!"... and thanks me and tries to hug me but I stuck up my arm as fast as I could in a gesture of a handshake LOL ... I think he ... erm... she caught on and shook my hand with a wink ... she was tall lol ... at least 6'2" and double D's lol!

Another time, I found a wad of cash wrapped in a rubberband laying on the floor under a table, it was roughly about $700. I was pretty sure it was drug money because the table that just left was a bunch of Asian gangbangers ... there was nothing else, just a roll of bills. A few hours later he calls the restaurant and he's like "umm ... err... did you guys... like.... umm.... find... like a bunch of cash?" ... I was like "oh yeah, like a wad right? I got it right here" ... he's like "ok cool" then he comes back to grab it and without a thanks or even a nod just turns around and walks out... was hoping he would at least tip a few bucks lol ...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #268
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
^
Props for actually going to a gay bar to return the purse.

When I first read "purse" and "Brad" I was kinda confused...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #269
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Well at first I just thought it would be the girls boyfriend's paycheque and I needed to somehow find somone that's connected to the owner of the purse regardless... I didn't expect him to actually be her lol
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #270
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I was at Ikea Coquitlam yesterday buying a mattress. I was parked in the upstairs loading area waiting for my item to show up. Parked next to me was an SUV driven by a mom. She had a little child in the back seat and by the looks of it just had her items loaded into her vehicle by one of the workers. The items were large, so she could not close her trunk.

After the worker left, she went over to get some twine and was about to wrap it around the windshield wiper on her SUV's hatch door. I went up to her and suggested it was not a good idea, because the wiper assembly is not designed to be used for tying stuff down with. She agreed it was not a good idea. I looked around for a hook, handle, or latch under the door, but nothing. I then told her that tying the twine to the roof rack and then down the door, into the latch loop, and back up to the roof rack on the other side would do the trick. I got the twine tied to the roof rack using the loop method and left the rest up to her. By this time, I had to go check to see if my item was ready, so I left her to finish up.

When I got back, another guy was helping her with the twine. I thought, oh, must be the husband. It turned out he was another good samaritan just helping out a damsel in distress. She saw me and thanked me for the help. She was about to get the car keys from her purse when she saw she was bleeding from her fingers. She must have cut it when getting the twine. Anyway, I went to my car and got the first aid kit out and fixed her up. She was so happy, and commented that it was so nice to get help from complete strangers.

I really thought that was weird, because in all honesty, I see people helping others out all the time. When people see others struggling with stuff, they usually help out. So, that was my good deed for the day.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #271
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I was there last night too, to check out mattresses and frames. Any details on the 15% gift card they gave you? Like can you use it on the very next purchase? Expiration date?

I help people at the same loading zone all the time. The things people think they can fit in their cars is often facepalm worthy. If I have my truck and they live close by, I don't mind driving it over for them.

I remember one time I was at FS in Coquitlam Centre and a couple was struggling soooo long to get a 55" TV into their car. I was waiting for my GF to buy something so I asked if they wanted me to take it their place when my GF got back. It's funny how reluctant they were to accept some help - to the point where the woman was tugging on the guys arm, trying to convince him to put it on the roof of their Accord. Eventually, the guy straightened her out, rode w/ my GF and me and the woman led us to their house in the Honda.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #272
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Yeah, the 15% gift card is cool. I bought the legs and sheets for the new bed/mattress with the gift card today. Too bad I couldn't use it on the day of purchase. No expiry date, as far as I can see.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #273
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Just another little one.

Old 50+ year old Chinese dude at A&W was short a dollar. He seemed to be scrambling through his pockets and couldn't come up with it, so I gave him a loonie. He was super happy and extremely grateful. He offered me one of those 50% off coupons, but I declined. Seeing his face light up made my day.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #274
I am Hook'd on RS

A few years ago, we had that big snow dump(anyone remember?!) I just remember everyone was freaking out about it! We have a good view of the intersection cause we live on the corner. My brother and boyfriend and myself just stayed by the window waiting pretty much all day and night watching because there would be so many people that needed help. Every time we saw someone get stuck, we went outside to push. My brother helped a bunch of people get to the bigger roads with his tow hook and rope lol. There was this sweet old man that lived 3 houses away from me that always helped us also! So sweet!

Lots of these posts made me tear up a bit. Keep it up everyone!
babyv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #275
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The ones about helping out the elderly get me. Maybe it's because my parents and my remaining grandmother are getting older and I wouldnt be able to stand it if they were in any of these situations without help.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote