REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #676
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

back in july this year. I saw a couple trying to fit a barbecue box brand new from london drugs into a kia rio sedan...

the husband put a hand on his forehead, and a cell phone sort of thinking who can they call to help

I walk up to them and I offer to carry the barbecue in my wagon

I follow their car to their home -- a couple blocks from LD

They told me they were worried I was going to drove away with the brand new barbecue.. meh
Advertisement
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #677
Director of RS Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
Up at SFU in the subway line up, there was a women in a wheelchair who had trouble going into the area where you line up to get your order (those pull out divider things). So I go over and move all the things over so she can like, line up..she gave me a deathglare...

My buddy tried to tell me that lots of people, such as elderly don't appreciate,and are sometimes actually offended by being helped, any truth to this? I try to help out as much as I can...hold open doors, give up the seat, help carry groceries to cars, is this kind of thing sometimes slap in the face to some people?
Something similar happened to me. I was going to my office floor bathroom and there was a lady in a wheelchair that was leaving. We have 2 heavy pull doors before we can actually "access" the womens washroom and I was entering as she was about to leave. I saw she was in a wheelchair and knowing how heavy and high those handles were, I said "let me help you with that." We left the first door, and she said to me "You don't have to" and I said "I don't mind " and as she's leaving the last door she says to me "Of course you don't mind.."

I was genuinely at a loss for words because I wasn't expecting such a snarky reply as I was only trying to help. But..it happens. Like others said, some people are too proud or don't want to admit they need help. I understand where they are coming from and don't take it to heart. Your nice gesture was selfless and you should feel proud knowing there aren't many people like that left in this world.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #678
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
Like others said, some people are too proud or don't want to admit they need help.
And some are just too thick/self-centered/bitter to realize that sometimes people who offer to help out AREN'T doing it to be condescending or feel superior... sometimes people actually do nice things out of the goodness of their hearts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #679
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
... sometimes people actually do nice things out of the goodness of their hearts.
Yeah but unfortunately a lot of people don't. I hold or grab the door for people quite a bit and I get a lot of surprised thanks
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #680
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Dono if some of you will agree about this being so much of a random act of kindness but it certainly was a shock for me tonight so i thought i would give it a mention.

Received a message a few days ago from a friend saying he wanted to drop something off at my house but i was not home. Then tonight i was texting him to see if i left a bag a change in his car last week while i was finishing up all the wiring after swapping in the new motor. He told me that he found something better and that he would come by my house in 30 mins. Spent the next bit racking my brain trying to think of what else i might have left that would be better then a bag of change with $15 of nickles,dimes and few quarters but came up with nothing.

When he showed up we talked for a bit about work and then i asked him what he found, he started talking about the driving i do to pick up parts for other projects/ drive him to the store,pulling parts at the yard, research the web, Work on the car all day while he is at work etc... then pulled out a wad of cash and held it out to me. Then we spent the next few minutes of me saying i wont take it and he would come up with more reasons, then i would come up with one.... He basicly ended with "Take it as an advance payment for when you weld the panels on the other project car or put it towards buying a welder... I then counted it up and near crapped myself and tried to atleast give some of it back...

I had never had something like this happen, I had helped out many people over the years when they asked.. but never expected a friend (especially fresh out of high school) to help me out. It means alot after a financial obstacle burnt up alot of my money for travel back to Alberta for work. Hell rogers sent me a text about locking out my phone due to outstanding payment but my trip was more important... but i never told anyone about how much money i had left... guess he picked up on me selling parts? For the first time in a long time i made me feel like i have some good friends. need to come up with something to pay him back once i get up to work..
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #681
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

While grabbing my mail about mid day in my apartment complex, I noticed someone's mailbox was left opened with keys still in the mailbox. The key ring had everything in it; house keys, car keys, parkade opener, key fobs, etc. The worse thing of all was that all our mail boxes have our apartment numbers posted on the outside of the door so someone could have easily broken into the place, ransack the apartment, stole their car, etc. Since there were no concierge on around at that time, I grabbed the keys and personally brought it back to the guys apartment.

When he opened the door, he gave me this puzzled look like "whose this random guy and why is he knocking at my door." I showed him the keys and he asked "why do you have anna's keys" (obviously his wife's). I then told him where I found the keys and he was super grateful. Offered to buy me a coffee (which is across the street). I declined and said I had to go. Before I left, he joking said "I'm going to kill her." I then replied "don't hurt her too bad" before I closed his door for him.
ODStryker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #682
F3
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODStryker00 View Post
While grabbing my mail about mid day in my apartment complex, I noticed someone's mailbox was left opened with keys still in the mailbox. The key ring had everything in it; house keys, car keys, parkade opener, key fobs, etc. The worse thing of all was that all our mail boxes have our apartment numbers posted on the outside of the door so someone could have easily broken into the place, ransack the apartment, stole their car, etc. Since there were no concierge on around at that time, I grabbed the keys and personally brought it back to the guys apartment.

When he opened the door, he gave me this puzzled look like "whose this random guy and why is he knocking at my door." I showed him the keys and he asked "why do you have anna's keys" (obviously his wife's). I then told him where I found the keys and he was super grateful. Offered to buy me a coffee (which is across the street). I declined and said I had to go. Before I left, he joking said "I'm going to kill her." I then replied "don't hurt her too bad" before I closed his door for him.
I did the same thing for someone in my building a few weeks ago.
He didn't seem as please as your guy, but meh. It made me feel good.
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #683
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Reviving thread.

Someone gave me a starbucks gift card for doing them a favor, went to sbucks today with girlfriend. I don't frequent starbucks as much as she does, so I gave her the card with about $20 remaining on it.

While we sat and chatted on the bar near the window, I saw a homeless guy sitting in front of the coffee shop sitting on the ground.

I asked the g/f to give the card back to me and she got mad (jokingly) asking why i was taking back gifts, but she gave it back to me.

As we were leaving I gave the guy the card - told him there was about $20 left on it - and he thanked me profusely.

Felt good - GF looked happy with it too

It's getting colder now...buy someone a hot drink next time if you think they could use it
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #684
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Last year:

Salvation Army volunteers ringing those bells at Canadian Tire and other stores...

I asked them if they were volunteers.

One of them replied that some of them were volunteers and some get paid an hourly salary.

I bought several Tim Horton's $5 gift cards and whenever I pass by volunteers at stores, I would give it to them directly and handed some to my friends to do the same.

Some volunteers stay near the entrance either outside or just inside the main doors, so it gets very chilly.... so the gift cards were meant for them to buy a cup or two of Tim Horton's coffee to warm them up for their volunteering near the doors.

I will do this again this year.

-----------------

On another note...

Was at Safeway one day and saw 2 girls (about 6 years old) walking around, and one was crying.

This was OUTSIDE the store.

I thought... they are probably lost.

So, I approached them and asked them what was wrong.

Apparently, they were lost and could not find their parents.

I directed them to the store manager, and lo and behold, their parents were shopping inside (and still shopping, oblivious to where their kids were)...

So, everything ended up OKAY!
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #685
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
It's getting colder now...buy someone a hot drink next time if you think they could use it
Man, it was pretty cold on Thursday. I saw a homeless dude near the Scotiabank Theater near Japadog and he had no shirt on. It's warm coat time for most people and here was some dude with no shirt on, just shivering as he panhandled.

I didn't have any extra clothes in my trunk so I walked into a Starbucks, bought a large hot coffee and a muffin and brought it out for him. He didn't seem all that happy but I wouldn't expect a guy braving this weather without a shirt on to be. Whatever...a hot drink can work wonders.

If I'm honest, I did it because I felt a little guilty that I just had a ridiculous, awesome meal at a fancy restaurant that I didn't have to pay for because I take pictures of my dinner and post it on the Internet. I thought the least I could do is buy this guy a hot drink. Also, I was a little tipsy since we were really into the wine at the restaurant so I had to walk around a bit before I could drive home. Didn't see the homeless man 30 minutes later at around 11ish so I hope he warmed up.

Maybe I'll keep some of my old clothes in the trunk too just in case.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #686
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Of course, one should never perform a random act of kindness with the expectation of getting anything out of it other than the warm fuzzies... but sometimes it really comes around in spades:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #687
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,493 Times in 4,303 Posts
Vancouver cabbie returns $10K found on backseat | News1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by News 1130
Vancouver cabbie returns $10K found on backseat
Sarjinder Singh also refused a $1,000 reward

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – As far as good deeds go, this is near the top of the list.

Yellow Cab taxi driver Sarjinder Singh picked up a fare in Yaletown last Friday.
He dropped the man off in Kitsilano before picking up another passenger who noticed something in the back seat. “The customer saw a white envelope in the cab. It contained $10,000 and it’s all cash,” says Singh.

Singh immediately drove back to where he dropped the man off to return the money.

“He had to fly the next day. And after I gave him his money he wanted to give me $1,000 cash but I said no, it’s my job you know. And he said ‘thank you because I need my money and I have to fly back tomorrow.’ I didn’t talk that much to him because I had a customer in the cab and it’s busy. I had to go back you know.”

Singh works 12-hour shifts and says drivers are honest people who often get a bad reputation. “We have bills to pay, we have families, we have kids. People should appreciate cab drivers. They work hard.”

Singh wants everyone to know drivers are people too. “Mostly cab drivers are working hard. Mostly they are nice. They are not like douchebags or strangers. Whatever they find, they try to return it back.”

Singh says he’s returned everything from wallets to cell phones. He says that the lost and found at his cab company is overflowing with unclaimed loot including what he estimates to be around 500 cell phones.

His boss says cabbies are definitely under-appreciated and that only negative stories make the news.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #688
My homepage has been set to RS

^^ This is true. I see a lot of people treat cabbies like shit.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #689
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
That gives me a new prospective of cabbie drivers, but some of them do drive like assholes.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #690
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
only time i cab is when im shittered to obliteration and cannot function, always nice to talk to em tho, they are pree friendly
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #691
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

So at around 664ish I got on the bus to go to work. This guy got on and realize he didnt have enough money to get on and was about to get off. But I went to the front and said ill pay for him. So I did.
Posted via RS Mobile
geelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #692
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Man, it was pretty cold on Thursday. I saw a homeless dude near the Scotiabank Theater near Japadog and he had no shirt on. It's warm coat time for most people and here was some dude with no shirt on, just shivering as he panhandled.

I didn't have any extra clothes in my trunk so I walked into a Starbucks, bought a large hot coffee and a muffin and brought it out for him. He didn't seem all that happy but I wouldn't expect a guy braving this weather without a shirt on to be. Whatever...a hot drink can work wonders.

If I'm honest, I did it because I felt a little guilty that I just had a ridiculous, awesome meal at a fancy restaurant that I didn't have to pay for because I take pictures of my dinner and post it on the Internet. I thought the least I could do is buy this guy a hot drink. Also, I was a little tipsy since we were really into the wine at the restaurant so I had to walk around a bit before I could drive home. Didn't see the homeless man 30 minutes later at around 11ish so I hope he warmed up.

Maybe I'll keep some of my old clothes in the trunk too just in case.
FYI about this guy, he is fully dressed in layers of clothing all the time, he takes off the clothes and hides them somewhere collects money then leaves.
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #693

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Of course, one should never perform a random act of kindness with the expectation of getting anything out of it other than the warm fuzzies... but sometimes it really comes around in spades:

just to follow up on this, on a later episode, ellen gave her a brand new Santa Fe because she only had one car that she shared with her mom and she would often bumb rides off friends to get to work
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #694
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkyu View Post
FYI about this guy, he is fully dressed in layers of clothing all the time, he takes off the clothes and hides them somewhere collects money then leaves.
Ah, well, at least I didn't give him money.

Is he actually homeless or just a guy pretending?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #695
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
just to follow up on this, on a later episode, ellen gave her a brand new Santa Fe because she only had one car that she shared with her mom and she would often bumb rides off friends to get to work
While Ellen's random acts of kindness are great, I bet the companies give the cars/TVs/gifts away for free in exchange for the free advertising. Therefore, it doesn't cost Ellen (and other celebrities) anything except for some air time.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Ah, well, at least I didn't give him money.

Is he actually homeless or just a guy pretending?
Not sure if he is actually homeless or pretending, but he's also the guy who celebrates his birthday everyday and ages 1 year every 3 months in the attempts to get some money.
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #697
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkyu View Post
Not sure if he is actually homeless or pretending, but he's also the guy who celebrates his birthday everyday and ages 1 year every 3 months in the attempts to get some money.
He was 64 for the LONGEST time.........LOL
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #698
Rs has made me the man i am today!

This happened to me today. I was driving on Boundary near Kingsway and I was speeding and changed lanes without giving a signal. I got pulled over by a undercover VPD officer. I knew right away that I had no case to argue and got my license and insurance papers ready for him. He came to my window and I told him I know I was speeding here are my papers. He went back to his vehicle to check my information.

He came back and said "You weren't going that fast and I'm not a big traffic ticket guy, here's your documents and have a safe drive home."

Probably one of the nicest cops I have been pulled over by in my life. He goes if it was someone else I would have written you up big time but you have a baby-seat and I got a infant as well.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #699
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
This happened to me today. I was driving on Boundary near Kingsway and I was speeding and changed lanes without giving a signal. I got pulled over by a undercover VPD officer. I knew right away that I had no case to argue and got my license and insurance papers ready for him. He came to my window and I told him I know I was speeding here are my papers. He went back to his vehicle to check my information.

He came back and said "You weren't going that fast and I'm not a big traffic ticket guy, here's your documents and have a safe drive home."

Probably one of the nicest cops I have been pulled over by in my life. He goes if it was someone else I would have written you up big time but you have a baby-seat and I got a infant as well.
Pretty sure it was the changing lanes without a signal that got you.

Also..

Time to install a baby-seat...

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #700
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Pretty sure it was the changing lanes without a signal that got you.

Also..

Time to install a baby-seat...
Oh I'm pretty sure the babyseat saved me from a nice ticket. Father 0 Son 1
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote