REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #51
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

A while ago, we were pulling into the RBC beside Chapters at Ackroyd, right when I pulled into the plaza, I saw out of my side mirror an old man fell over on his bike from the sidewalk literally ONTO the road.
I pulled into that first spot outside RBC as fast as I could, forgetting there was that out of place barrier at the front of the spot. Front lip scraped right over the yellow cement barrier. Ignoring it right away, we went straight for the man to help him up. Next thing we realize, the guy was holding a half empty bottle of booze in one hand......he fell because he was shittered beyond words and was trying to ride the damn bike with one hand...
Good deed = scraped front lip and a hammered hobo who ended up yelling at everyone who tried to help him up because he thought we were trying to steal his booze...
Advertisement
LemonH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #52
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Well it's just another one of those days where I had to pump some air into my tires. As I pulled into the Chevron, a poor lady got all worried because her tire went flat and didn't know what to do with it.

So I came by and gave a lending hand to her and at the same time teach her how to change the tire.

It didn't take me long to swap out the stock tire w/ the spare one, because she owned a 2004 TSX.

She offered me to buy me a beverage but I didn't want the offer but she still bought one anyways.

So in the end, I ended up having a Sobe Energy drink, while she ended up gaining more knowledge about her 2004 TSX.

Also she tried to hook me up with her friend, turns out she was 30.

I was 19 at the time LOL
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

^Sooo, Did you do her ?
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #54
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Every time I buy the Mandarin Chicken Salad @ Wendy's (Broadway/Oak) to give to my gf after her shift, there is usually a homeless individual at the curb in front of the establishment. I always buy that homeless person a burger instead of buying myself food.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #55
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
My brother, mom, and myself + some neighbors cleared the end of the street of snow last year. Shovelled all the driveways, and the middle of the road so cars wouldn't get stuck. We did this for about 5 houses (on each side of the road, so we covered quite a lot of room). All the neighbors were thankful (I live in an area where there's quite a few seniors), except for this one mainlander bitch who thought we were crazy and would tease us for not owning a "luxury SUV" (she also owns a crazy dog who chases you and once bit an old lady in the ass). She tried to show off one morning in her X5 by driving through the "mounds" we piled up from shovelling, and she got stuck, while I pulled out and drove no problem in my '93 corolla with stock all season tires.

Nobody helped her.
She got stuck there for a while
We lolled

karma ftw

Last edited by CP.AR; 10-12-2009 at 09:07 AM.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #56
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
karma karma karma, you gon regret it, regret it!
its a song im listening to at the moment lol.

yea i helped shovel a couple driveways for the older folks around my neighbourhood. seeing a senior outside shovelling his driveway isnt something i can turn my back on.
other things, opening doors, and helping people with large amounts of groceries into their car. picked up things people dropp behind, especially mothers with strollers in malls. did that once right infront of my parents, they seemed pretty proud of me =]
one time, found this phone at gossip, returned it the next day WITH a full charge. though her drunk friends calling it all night and bitching at me, assuming i stole it wasnt all that fun.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #57
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i let someone merge into my lane!

random act of kindness for the week is done.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
every other shopping trip, i drop a case of soup in the food bank.
generally maintaining a positive attitude and holding onto basic ethical concepts is actually very therapeutic. it'll help to keep you grounded in a world where smiling in public seems to have become a criminal offense.
honesty is the best policy. do unto others as you'd have done to you, and so on and so forth. all good things.
around christmas time, we've started donating the money we'd spend on gifts for each other and those around us toward foreign aid. made perfect sense to me.
i guess as you get older, you realize that the things that are most important to you seem to cost the least.
"integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"
read that in a fortune cookie the other day. good advice though.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #59
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Some really good stuff here, guys. Thanks.......

I guess I gave out my quota of thanks. I go to bed each night counting the good things I've done that day. The world doesn't have to be a shitty place. If everybody does a little, it'll make a helluva difference. I do it because I brought my children into this world and I want it to be a nicer and a more civil place for them and their children and so on.

I wonder if it will ever become fashionable to be a good person. In today's world, it's cool to be tough and negative. If you show kindness, it makes you look weak.

Anyway, keep up the good work, guys. I had my doubts when I first started this thread, but people came through. RS isn't such a bad place after all. I joke about RS, but I love it. It's like my second home.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #60
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

In grade 12 I had work experience at a local elementary school and one day while helping out the kindergarten class this little girl was celebrating her birthday in class. I overheard her friend asking if she was excited to open presents when she got home but she said "Oh I don't get presents because we can't afford it, but my mommy is taking me to Mcdonalds for my birthday." I went out and bought her a Barbie Doll because that was just heart breaking. The little girl wasn't even upset that she didn't get presents, she was so excited to go to McDonalds.
peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #61
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
You don't have to do one big thing and make yourself feel better. You should be doing stuff holding doors open, being polite and thankful all the time. I go to Safeway would you like to donate to breast Cancer or what ever I donate. All the time I go out to a store and see someone that needs help from picking up a box or grabbing something from a top shelf. People should be doing things like that all the time not walking by ignoreing it.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
You don't have to do one big thing and make yourself feel better. You should be doing stuff holding doors open, being polite and thankful all the time. I go to Safeway would you like to donate to breast Cancer or what ever I donate. All the time I go out to a store and see someone that needs help from picking up a box or grabbing something from a top shelf. People should be doing things like that all the time not walking by ignoreing it.
It's the little things. But if you think about it, they should be a given. It should just be a natural reaction to hold a door or help someone reach something.
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #63
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Well, its not really a random act of kindness, just something I've gotten into the habit of doing. I donate blood every 2 months, religiously. Every time I go in there, everyone is so happy, friendly and talkative to each other. It's nice to be in a place that's just full of people trying to help people, even though they'll never know who they help. I've talked to people who've donated 150 times or more (25 years straight) and it's just amazing.
_Hotsauce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #64
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
^^haha awesome story, keep us updated!

anyways, i hold doors open for people, then give dirty looks if they dont say thanks
I do that too but in HK no one will thank you for doing it. A white guy said the same thing after i thank him for holding the door for me.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hotsauce_ View Post
Well, its not really a random act of kindness, just something I've gotten into the habit of doing. I donate blood every 2 months, religiously. Every time I go in there, everyone is so happy, friendly and talkative to each other. It's nice to be in a place that's just full of people trying to help people, even though they'll never know who they help. I've talked to people who've donated 150 times or more (25 years straight) and it's just amazing.
I've donated twice since I've been able to recently. Donating blood is so easy to do and takes like 30-45 minutes usually max. There's lots of people who should be doing it. It hardly hurts and you get checked for any problems too. Also pretty cool finding out your blood type Turns out I have a pretty rare one, but can accept any type of blood (AB+).

Last edited by ajax; 10-12-2009 at 07:54 PM.
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #66
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Thanks to RS, I am now a regular blood donor. I donated a few times way way back when they didn't go through the million questions, but the RS drive a few years back got me back on track. I'm AB+ as well.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #67
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Sometimes when I see people buying certain items at the store, I'll give them coupons for it to save them some money...

One time at Superstore, I saw some guy put a couple Gillette Fusion razors into his basket, and I happened to have a $10 coupon, so I gave it to him...

A few weeks ago at Canadian Tire, I saw some Chinese kid with his mom and he really wanted to buy a hockey stick and hockey tape, but his mom didn't really want to buy it... so I gave them one of my $5 coupon scratch cards so that the kid would have an easier time convincing the mom.

A couple weeks back, had $5 off coupons for these Glade Fresh Effects room air fresheners, and they were on sale for $4.87 at Wal-Mart... and they had none left in stock. But when I was waiting at the till, I saw a young white couple with a young kid and another in a stroller had a couple of those in their cart. I asked them where they got it, and they said it was the last two on the shelf. I started walking away all disappointed, but then I doubled back and gave her one of the coupons so that she could get it for free.

There's been a bunch of other times...

And a couple times, if I have a bunch of coupons that are about to expire in a few days and I don't intend to use them, I'll take them all to Wal-Mart or Superstore and put them by the corresponding items on the shelf so that hopefully other people would be able to make use of them.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #68
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Sounds really cliche but I helped an old lady across the street the other day. I was coming back from school and when walking home, I was on the West side of the street. There is a Pedestrian Crossing sign but like most asshole drivers, people ignore it. There was an elderly lady waiting on the East side of the street and couldn't get across because whenever she would start, she would see a car coming and stop and go back. No cars bothered stopping and just continued while looking at her wait there idly.

I walked across the street and stopped traffic on both sides so that the lady could cross the street. I crossed over from the West to the East to get the lady, then went from the East to the West to get her across (ie actually helping her cross the street) and back from West to East so I can go about my day.

Funnily enough, I think this is my first time ever helping an old lady across the street. This is all despite the movie depictions of it occurring more frequently than not.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #69
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

There was a spider on the buss and went onto some guys bag and i told him about it and he wipped it off and thanked me because hes allergic to spider bites. I hold doors open often and when ever i see someone in need of a helping hand im always there.

Noob In Training.
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #70

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
A couple of months ago, I was out riding my bike with a good friend. We had a pretty fun session and as the light started to fade away, it was time to begin our 20 minute ride home.

We were just grooving along to the traffic and sights when we pass by a bus stop where a blind guy was standing, completely lost and asking for directions to well, no one. We passed by and then I slammed on the brakes after about 10 feet, jumped off the bike, headed back and we asked where he needed to be.

Turns out he just wanted to go to a bus stop 2 blocks away, but seeing as he was completely lost, that certainly was a daunting task. So to make things easier, I grabbed his guide stick, held his arm and my friend guided us to the bus stop. I guess buddy had a speech impediment as well but he was incredibly nice and fun to talk to. About 1/4 of the way there, my friend tells him to grab onto the bike instead (we were walking with our bikes and buddy) to make things easier, I'm 5'6 on a good day while the blind guy was 6' plus, hahaha.

Anyway, he got to his stop, and those 5 minutes made me feel good and giddy with a restored faith in humanity for quite a while. The effects are still good today.

Thanks to those who make an effort to make the world a better place for everybody, everyday.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #71
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

-hold the door for someone
-EAT WITH MY MOUTH CLOSED
-move my chair closer to the table in as restaurant when someone is coming through behind you....some dickbags like to sit on the end of the seat...mind as well not sit...
-cough with your mouth covered / yawn with your hand covered...now i sound like a girl..fuck...
-let old people take my seat even if it's not a priority seat or whatever
oinkoinkpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #72
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,241 Times in 573 Posts
I gave out my quota of thanks too It's nice to see theirs actually people doing good-deeds, keep up the good work guys!

I hold the door open for people, ran after a few people that dropped something on the floor and didn't realize it, donating to charities whenever I have the chance, giving my seat up on transit for the elderly and people with little kids and donating the clothes I don't wear or too small to big-brother. + plenty other good deeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
In grade 12 I had work experience at a local elementary school and one day while helping out the kindergarten class this little girl was celebrating her birthday in class. I overheard her friend asking if she was excited to open presents when she got home but she said "Oh I don't get presents because we can't afford it, but my mommy is taking me to Mcdonalds for my birthday." I went out and bought her a Barbie Doll because that was just heart breaking. The little girl wasn't even upset that she didn't get presents, she was so excited to go to McDonalds.
That really sucks It was awesome what you did for the girl! I don't know why but I feel really sad when I read that..Maybe it's because most of us always had the luxury of expecting gifts on their birthdays or inviting all your friends for a huge party while this girl was just excited that it's her birthday AND shes going to a fast-food chain that some of us go every other day.. =/

HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #73
Banned (ABWS)

When I was young and had swimming classes in HK, my mom would take me to buy popsicles after each session. And while I'm there I always help an elderly lady that shops at that time down the stairs with her groceries because the steps were steep and hard to go down.

This thread has got me thinking of all the things I have done and could do to make people's lives easier and far better, even if it's just for a day. If the unfortunate could receive such help each day from a different person, this world would be a far better place.
Pocakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #74
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
wow props to you.

I remember one time when i work at mcd, a child wanted a certain happy meal toy, but we didnt have it anymore. So I decided to go to the stoarge room. Thinking there could be some back there. Ran to the storage, went through boxes and finally found what the kid wanted.

Felt good doing that, because the kid was happy and the mom thanked me
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #75
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
i volunteered at the union gospel mission to help cook and serve food to the homeless, this was like 6 years ago
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote