REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #876
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Not really a random act but thought I'd share.

Couple of weeks ago while I was driving down Canada Way just past Sperling going towards Burnaby City Hall on my way to in law's place for dinner, saw the aftermath of a single vehicle accident on the opposite side. The car hit a pole and wedged itself against a wall and was just starting to smoke when I saw it, so it must have happened not too long ago.

The truck in front of me and I pulled around, he called 911 while I checked on the people inside the car. Air bags deployed and the front end is pretty messed up. The passenger was not hurt but couldn't get out because the car was wedged in, the driver was a little out of it and sustained an injury to his leg. Asked for the driver's name while I checked for ABC's and told him not to move when he couldn't really respond to any of my questions.

Waited till the fire trucks got there and left after the fireman told me I can go since I didn't see the actual event.
Advertisement
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #877
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Not random, but I'll be driving out to chilliwack today to pick up a puppy from the vet to transport him to his new foster home in Vancouver. Can't wait for some puppy play when we pick him up.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #878
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Last week a customer left a TD Bank envelope on the booth seat. Waitress passed it to me, I opened it to find 13 crisp $100 notes inside.

No name or contact so I locked it away. He came back a day later and was super frantic and nervous, he was like *ahem* Did... you guys ... umm ... find a small envelope on Saturday night?

I said "Hmmm ... Maybe, there are many things in the lost & found, tell me exactly what is inside the envelope"

He hesitated then cleared his throat like 5 times "ummm there's $1300 in cash, all hundreds"

I pretended to be shocked and was like "oh REALLY?... well then .... does it have a name on it?"
*awkward silence for 10 seconds*

... "yeah I have it, be careful with so much money in your pocket bro" and handed it back to him, he had the most grateful look on his face. All he said was "I will definitely come back here more often!"

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #879
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Last week a customer left a TD Bank envelope on the booth seat. Waitress passed it to me, I opened it to find 13 crisp $100 notes inside.

No name or contact so I locked it away. He came back a day later and was super frantic and nervous, he was like *ahem* Did... you guys ... umm ... find a small envelope on Saturday night?

I said "Hmmm ... Maybe, there are many things in the lost & found, tell me exactly what is inside the envelope"

He hesitated then cleared his throat like 5 times "ummm there's $1300 in cash, all hundreds"

I pretended to be shocked and was like "oh REALLY?... well then .... does it have a name on it?"
*awkward silence for 10 seconds*

... "yeah I have it, be careful with so much money in your pocket bro" and handed it back to him, he had the most grateful look on his face. All he said was "I will definitely come back here more often!"
Can't express this enough...your waitress is the MVP of all time.

I was at Costco during lunch time and saw an older woman pushing a cart filled with heavy bags. Pulled over and helped her load the car, then proceeded to take her spot lol.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #880
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Sauce on waitress please so we can thank her too
Old 12-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #881
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Faith in humanity restored

Saw this article shared on Facebook.

Single Victoria mom takes to Craigslist to find someone to have Christmas dinner with - BC | Globalnews.ca

A single mom of 2 was about to spend Christmas alone with her 3yr old son, while her daughter would be spending it with the dad. The mom doesn't want to spend Christmas alone with her son so she posted on Craigslist asking if anyone would be willing to share their festivities with them.

Within a few days, she received a few hundred responses including some people from the Netherlands. Some people even offered to pay for her and her son's flight.

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #882
Banned By Establishment

It was a little scary b/c when we first approached him, he stood up scared and he was a lot bigger than we thought. Thankfully, after we covered him a a large cloth, I think he calmed down but I'm not sure. All I know was that he didn't move and try to poke us with his beak. I knew that it was bad b/c when he stood up, his wing was just dangling. I still kind of hoped that he could be saved.
The doctors told me that blue heron's don't do well in captivity regardless.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #883

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Yesterday, I was at Safeway late in the evening and the person in front of me was buying a few cans of generic cola, 1 500ml carton of chocolate milk, and a long john donut. As the lady was ringing in the items, he was watching the total closely and told her to take out the donut and a can of cola because he didn't have enough money (only $3). As he was gathering his stuff, I told the lady to just add his donut to my bill. He was thankful.

In hindsight, I should've just paid for his entire grocery bill.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #884

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Something is always better than nothing.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #885

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
So this year for Christmas I decided that instead of getting my friends gifts and presents. (Which most of them don't actually need and can afford to buy it themselves). Instead I was going to take the money and put it towards a good cause.

So today I bought 34 brand new winter jackets and donated them to the local homeless shelter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151210_1.jpg (149.9 KB, 0 views)
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #886
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Well done sir^^^ That ain't cheap to do, and that is extremely selfless of you.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #887
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
I wish I could thank you more then once, hopefully you gave yourself an extra good discount!!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I wish I could thank you more then once, hopefully you gave yourself an extra good discount!!!
Yea I made a few phone calls and eneed up getting about $6500 worth of jackets for just shy of $2000.
It's for a good cause, and I was glad the company supported my cause.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #889
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Yea I made a few phone calls and eneed up getting about $6500 worth of jackets for just shy of $2000.
I think that company deserves to be recognized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I think that company deserves to be recognized.
That would be Sport Chek
Old 12-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #891
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Did you buy random sizes or mainly just medium and large?

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Did you buy random sizes or mainly just medium and large?
Random sizes. More male than female
Old 12-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #893
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Random sizes. More male than female
You know, this is just such an awesome idea and I think I am going to try to incorporate it into my family somehow, someway. Good on you!
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
You know, this is just such an awesome idea and I think I am going to try to incorporate it into my family somehow, someway. Good on you!
yea I totally agree that this idea works as long as your family and friends are supportive.

I mean I didn't spend any "extra" money, i just took the money that I would've spent buying my friends christmas cards, chocolates, gift cards, movie tickets and the few "bigger gifts". and used it towards this great cause.

I've asked my friends to not get me anything for christmas and to donate that money to a charity of their choice. Cause frankly i'm fortunate to be in a position where if there is anything I want, I can just get it myself.

So honestly, if you have a tradition of christmas gifting, just entertain the idea of giving that money to charity instead. Majority of your friends will understand, support and praise you for the decision, the few that gets mad because they didn't get a christmas present....while I guess maybe its time to click that "unfriend" button on FB.

Last edited by skiiipi; 12-10-2015 at 10:46 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #895
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
May I suggest the token program from Save on Meats? They were on the Jeff O'Neil show this week and it sounds pretty amazing. They've been doing a token program for sandwiches for a few years now, but this year added tokens for clothing. Iirc it's $2.25/token for sandwiches and $5/token for a jacket/clothing items.

Link is below if you're interested in looking at it further. Also you can dictate where the tokens are sent, or leave it up to them to distribute them for you. You can also purchase the tokens without leaving your computer area, they have a paypal set up or you can go into the diner/butcher and purchase them there.

Token Program | Save On Meats

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #896
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
May I suggest the token program from Save on Meats? They were on the Jeff O'Neil show this week and it sounds pretty amazing. They've been doing a token program for sandwiches for a few years now, but this year added tokens for clothing. Iirc it's $2.25/token for sandwiches and $5/token for a jacket/clothing items.

Link is below if you're interested in looking at it further. Also you can dictate where the tokens are sent, or leave it up to them to distribute them for you. You can also purchase the tokens without leaving your computer area, they have a paypal set up or you can go into the diner/butcher and purchase them there.

Token Program | Save On Meats

I've heard of this program as well, but in all honesty, I try to help as much as I can in my small(ish) community. I donate to our local 'Food Bank' and shelter called Helping Hands annually (often a few times per year). It may not be much, but with 4 mouths to feed, we give what we can, including all of our good used clothing.

I'm just liking the idea of helping others in need in lieu of the gifts. I guess lead by example, and next year for Xmas (my wife and kids already bought me something this year), I am going to ask that they do this for me instead, including going down and volunteering.

Thanks for the idea, skiipi. Merry Xmas.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2015, 04:14 AM   #897
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
For all you guys who have drawers full of freebies from sample source and P&G, consider donating the items to these people.

Welcome ? Downtown Eastside Women's Centre
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #898

Went back today and dropped off a basket of 42 winter socks too cause that was one of the things the homeless center mentioned they were short on.

Company once again came through with a good deal. 42 pairs of socks for $200
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151211_1.jpg (115.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #899
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
For all you guys who have drawers full of freebies from sample source and P&G, consider donating the items to these people.

Welcome ? Downtown Eastside Women's Centre
Funny that you should say that because I just donated my full freebie drawer (over 45 shampoo and conditioner sets and mouth wash) to the eastside women's centre. My gf helped donate her time to put the baskets together and I gave her the good right away.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #900
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Thank you, murd0c and gf. Some of the women and children who get help there have gone through hell. Some of the stories are so sad I can't listen to them anymore. Can't fix the world, but every bit helps.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote