REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Anybody had a retinal detachment before? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/592622-anybody-had-retinal-detachment-before.html)

RenoMan 10-14-2009 06:17 AM

Anybody had a retinal detachment before?

Just wondering if anybody had this thing happened before and how was you treatment done?how it feel?regain vision? Right now i have it and the docs saying i have to go in for surgery.

Thanks

stotch 10-14-2009 03:48 PM

that sucks man, can you still see out of that eye?

liu13 10-14-2009 04:25 PM

i think amare stoudemire had a retinal detachment

RenoMan 10-14-2009 05:05 PM

24/7 beer goggles without the buzz . it sucks bad ,gotta go for 4hrs for sum test to determine treatment

moomooCow 10-19-2009 04:12 AM

My grandpa had it diagnosed and was operated on within 7 days. He couldn't read the biggest single letter "E" on the eye testing board thing.. so it was pretty bad.

Apparently it was caused because of a tear in the lining somewhere and so liquid got between the retina and wall of the eye ball... something like that...? They drained the fluid and injected a gas bubble to hold the retinal back up while it healed. Supposedly the bubble disappears within a month ( during which you should avoid looking down/hitting your head ) but it's been a little over a month now but he still sees two rings.

It's been progressively getting better though! :thumbsup:

just wiki'ed:

This is what happened to him:

Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment – A rhegmatogenous retinal detachment occurs due to a hole, tear, or break in the retina that allows fluid to pass from the vitreous space into the subretinal space between the sensory retina and the retinal pigment epithelium.

I'm not sure which of these he had done:

Pneumatic retinopexy
This operation is generally performed in the doctor's office under local anesthesia. It is another method of repairing a retinal detachment in which a gas bubble (SF6 or C3F8 gas) is injected into the eye after which laser or freezing treatment is applied to the retinal hole. The patient's head is then positioned so that the bubble rests against the retinal hole. Patients may have to keep their heads tilted for several days to keep the gas bubble in contact with the retinal hole. The surface tension of the air/water interface seals the hole in the retina, and allows the retinal pigment epithelium to pump the subretinal space dry and pull the retina back into place. This strict positioning requirement makes the treatment of the retinal holes and detachments that occurs in the lower part of the eyeball impractical. This procedure is usually combined with cryopexy or laser photocoagulation.

Vitrectomy
Vitrectomy is an increasingly used treatment for retinal detachment in countries with modern healthcare systems. It involves the removal of the vitreous gel and is usually combined with filling the eye with either a gas bubble (SF6 or C3F8 gas) or silicon oil. Advantages of using gas in this operation is that there is no myopic shift after the operation and gas is absorbed within a few weeks. Silicon oil (PDMS), if filled needs to removed after a period of 2–8 months depending on surgeon's preference. Silicon oil is more commonly used in cases associated with proliferative vitreo-retinopathy (PVR). A disadvantage is that a vitrectomy always leads to more rapid progression of a cataract in the operated eye. In many places vitrectomy is the most commonly performed operation for the treatment of retinal detachment.

RenoMan 02-28-2010 07:48 AM

it really sucks now. im a mess because of this stupid situation, if fucks with my work, people leaving me, im depressed and its sucking me dry. The blindness is gone but i have major distortion making normal life difficult. Talk about luck

moomooCow 02-28-2010 11:10 PM

Have you talked to your doc about the distortions? How long ago did you have the surgery done? Give it some time! :) My grandpa had distortions for a month or maybe even a bit more, and they had to reoperate because something went wrong during the healing process. He can see quite well now though, so speak to your doc first? :)

RenoMan 02-28-2010 11:40 PM

its been four months and i cant even read what you wrote with the eye. Its taking longer than expected to heal, i knew this bs was gona fuck everything up. Doc said my retina is not fitting in properly to form a full vision. Well im going back soon but im hoping i dont have to reoperate.