REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Police radar while exiting a curve (https://www.revscene.net/forums/592721-police-radar-while-exiting-curve.html)

kchoi 10-15-2009 12:10 AM

Police radar while exiting a curve

Is it possible that a police radar you while driving at opposing lane the moment you exit a curve?

I know that may sound confusing. What happened was that I was biking with a friend exiting a parking lot of the cypress bowl run. We were exiting a curve at the same time as the cop entering the curve. He did a u-turn behind us and turned on his siren. He pulled us over and claim that he radared us riding at 110km/h.

Is this possible?

Jeffield 10-15-2009 12:18 AM

You should have bought a V1 for your bike

CRS 10-15-2009 12:29 AM

Sure it is possible. I don't see why you couldn't be tagged but was it a radar or a laser? They are pretty different devices.

But most importantly, were you speeding at that speed?

kchoi 10-15-2009 12:31 AM

i dunno what he used. I dun think i can exit that corner at that speed though. My question is can the device be accurate since he is probably also driving at abt 60km/h on opposite lane?

b-dub 10-15-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6635992)
Sure it is possible. I don't see why you couldn't be tagged but was it a radar or a laser? They are pretty different devices.

But most importantly, were you speeding at that speed?

How can you tell someone speed going around the corner? Last time I checked light (assuming he was using laser) doesn't go around corners. The only way the cop would be able to get a reading is if his car was directly infront of him going around the corner in which time the laser gun *might* be able to get a reading which is unlikely. Whatever device he was using defies physics as you cannot bend the signal, but this also depends on the corner and they layout of the road.

zulutango 10-15-2009 05:27 AM

Radar beam is cone shaped and will get target readings on a corner from an oncoming vehicle. The cosine effect will give you a lower recorded speed by a few kmh at extreme angles. Laser only works from a stationary position. It shoots in a straight line and can get readings at an angle. You do not have to be directly in front of the target to get a reading.

skidmark 10-15-2009 06:46 AM

Ah, but you can "bounce" radar around a corner by reflecting the beam off of a concrete barrier. I used to play with that sitting on the side of the road using radar in stationary mode.

zulutango 10-15-2009 10:39 AM

Kinda like a mirror bounce eh?

Five-Oh 10-15-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchoi (Post 6635996)
i dunno what he used. I dun think i can exit that corner at that speed though. My question is can the device be accurate since he is probably also driving at abt 60km/h on opposite lane?

The radar in the police car is designed to pick up the speed of oncoming traffic and has settings for both if the police vehicle is stationary and if the police vehicle is in motion.

zulutango 10-16-2009 07:12 AM

...and if the target is approaching the Radar from the front, or rear...or if the target is pulling away in either front or rear. Just select appropriate settings on the unit.

PACER 10-19-2009 03:24 PM

It works fine in that configuration and if aything would be displaying a speed less than what you were travelling at....

Radar covers a very large area very quickly so would not have issues with a curve....