REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - Proper Display of License Plates (https://www.revscene.net/forums/592894-drivesmartbc-proper-display-license-plates.html)

skidmark 10-16-2009 07:04 PM

DriveSmartBC - Proper Display of License Plates

I was wondering if it was the law in B.C. to display both license plates on a vehicle? I see a lot of vehicles with only the rear license plate.

The humble licence plate has but one job, positively identifying the vehicle it is attached to. Without license plates, how would we know who owned the vehicle? How would you complain about an erratic driver or report your stolen vehicle? Photo enforcement would be stymied and even the lowly parking ticket would have difficulty.

Vehicle owners seem to find every excuse to do what they please, particularly with regard to the front licence plate. It looks ugly, I don't have a mounting bracket, the bolts are too rusted. Throw it on the dash, wire it onto the bumper, who cares? Hang bicycles in front of it, don't keep it clean, slap decorations over top, the list is endless. Even the provincial government has gotten into the act with an olympic license plate that is difficult to read at half the distance you could read a standard plate at.

The short answer is that if you are issued two license plates, both must be displayed. One affixed to the front of the vehicle and one to the rear along with the license plate light. If you are only issued one, it goes on the rear, unless your vehicle's GVW is over 5, 500 kg in which case it goes on the front. Keep them entirely unobstructed and mounted horizontally at all times.

Reference Links

zulutango 10-17-2009 10:45 AM

Let the whining begin!!~ :)

Jeffield 10-17-2009 11:07 AM

Hmm, anyone ever thought of how much money will they save by not providing a front plate for us?

Like Alberta, I bet you they save so much money from not having a front plate..

those plates are expensive.

stevo911_ 10-17-2009 11:16 AM

how much money they will save? dont we pay for them when they issue us plates?

Jeffield 10-17-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo911_ (Post 6639253)
how much money they will save? dont we pay for them when they issue us plates?

We pay for them, but they can do 2 things...

Either they can charge what we normally pay and collect the extra money we pay..

Or

Lower the price for it so we can save a lot of money...

sebberry 10-17-2009 04:17 PM

Clearly people remove the front plates for either aesthetic reasons or because they feel the plate obstructs airflow to their front mount intercooler or radiator. Most vehicles have front bumpers with short vertical rises and many cars (especially European cars) are designed for a wider Euro style plate.

Since people are removing them, there is clearly a need to have the option of a wider Euro style front plate and I think ICBC should offer these. Hell, they have the hard to read Olympic plates, so why not a $25 per year charge for a wide plate?

jlenko 10-17-2009 10:34 PM

ICBC won't change anything.. just put the damn plate on where it's supposed to go and suck it up.

wing_woo 10-18-2009 11:18 AM

The front plate led to a hit and run arrest in favour of my friend. The guy hit so hard, his plate was stamped onto his back bumper so the police were able to look at the impression and nail the guy. I am totally for the front license plate.

Brianrietta 10-18-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffield (Post 6639243)
Hmm, anyone ever thought of how much money will they save by not providing a front plate for us?

Like Alberta, I bet you they save so much money from not having a front plate..

those plates are expensive.

There were some fairly convincing statistics that I read a few years ago I think that the cost of producing two plates were offset by other factors being reduced as a result of it, but I'm blanking on what they were. Maybe I'll try to dig that up tomorrow.

sebberry 10-18-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 6640554)
The front plate led to a hit and run arrest in favour of my friend. The guy hit so hard, his plate was stamped onto his back bumper so the police were able to look at the impression and nail the guy. I am totally for the front license plate.

Not all front plates are mounted at the very front. Some are recessed slightly back causing them to not stamp the numbers into the car it hits.

wing_woo 10-19-2009 09:11 AM

The majority that I see are so it does increase the chance that the plate can be imprinted on the bumper. Even when I was rear ended, the lady's license plate was imprinted in my bumper. For the cars that have it recessed, well, not much I can do, but I just find the majority of cars do have it out front in front of their bumper.

underscore 10-19-2009 07:23 PM

if the guy who chased me around town for an hour had a front plate, I could've called him in. but "shitty old blue cavalier" is a little less accurate.

I never get why people who have the big black plastic bracket don't put up the plate? it looks even worse without it IMO. main offenders seen to be BMW and 350Z drivers.

Mr666 11-10-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6640043)
ICBC won't change anything.. just put the damn plate on where it's supposed to go and suck it up.

Well thats a stupid attitude to take. There are many reasonable options that could be made available if ICBC would get their head out of thier a$$.

sebberry 11-10-2009 02:47 PM

We have olympic plates that the police say are hard to read, why not provide us with a couple of different options? Unless of course they make money by fining those who would pick another option should there be one available.

jlenko 11-11-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr666 (Post 6677142)
Well thats a stupid attitude to take. There are many reasonable options that could be made available if ICBC would get their head out of thier a$$.

Thinking that ICBC may pull their head out of their ass is a stupid thing to hope for. :thumbsup:

danizer 11-14-2009 04:04 AM

my grill came without the front bracket mounted and i didnt want to drill holes init...its ok if i zip tied them to my grill right :)?

ive been wondering for a long time

skidmark 11-14-2009 07:27 AM

As long as they are securely attached, that is fine.