REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

infiniti fx35, help advice needed pls!

So long story short, driving home last nite, slippery, dark. Dude (crackhead) runs across the street outta nowhere, i hit the brakes and turn to avoid him. Slide into a curb goin prolly 45-50km and scrape a wall with my front bumper. Not too worried bout the bumper, its cracked and scraped, but will get that fixed from buddy's bodyshop.

BUT...
I slid into the curb w/ my front left wheel as it was turned to the right, and it hit and hopped the curb.
The rim scraped/gashed bad, as soon as i pull out and start driving, the steering is Facked. Alignment totally off and its pulling/feeling messed in the steering. I pull in the garage, check it out in better light, and nothing visibly looks bent/broken, but theres something fked up, the wheel is not sitting right and looks like its sitting on an angle, lower control arm for sure i'm guessin, but i'm not really a car guy.
Took it out today, drove around the block to "feel" it and get a better look, and the toe feels out, pretty bad. Turning, it seems like its pulling bad. Def. does not feel safe to drive at all. It's not jiggly in the steering when i'm still and turn it, but when moving or goin over the slightest bump, it really grabs.

Now, i have bcaa, so i can get it towed, no biggie. But wtf are my options here?
I don't wanna icbc it cuz my rate will get raped, so i'm thinking i'm gonna bite it and get it fixed, but infiniti will prolly rape me too, but do i have any other options?
Any thoughts on how bad it could be/whats wrong just based on what i described??
Anyone have a hookup at nissan/infiniti?
Luckily i have a day off tomm, but i can't drive it around to diff mechanics to compare either. I need to figure out a place, get it towed there and fixed. FUCK!
oh ya, its a 03 fx35.

thanks folks.
j
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Welp, clearly the suspension components are bent, which is why it feels weird to drive and they should be replaced. If you don't want to make the ICBC claim, then you should just pay for all the replacement/labour. OR, depending on your deductible, it's sometimes worth it to just pay the deductible to get it over with.

Or get someone else to call ICBC for you. lool, just a thought.
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
At this stage, I would say don't drive it and get it towed to a shop.

If you think about a bent control arm is bad.. remember your fx35 is 4wd.. you really don't want to drive around if your front differential is damaged but still salvageable. Because a replacement is expensive.

Since there doesn't seem to be any Infiniti specialized independent shop in Vancouver.. so unless you go to the Infiniti boards to find a reputable place... your only option is pretty much the dealer.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
ouch our fx are city boy, cant handle offroading

shops that specialize in nissan are also knowledgable in inifiniti. $$$$$d for example. But they are too expensive especially if you are not going in for straight part replacement. They do offer discount on OEM nissan/infinit parts you might want to have a look
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #5

K. Talked to a buddys buddy who works at morrey Infiniti. He said sounds like arm is bent for sure and hopefully that's it. He can't get me much of a deal on parts but will be able to save me the labour. Gonna tow it in first thing in the am and go from there. A few guys on the Infiniti forums said similar thing happened, and it was just bent arms and cost less than a g for parts and labour. So it might be alright considering.
Worst case the subframe is bent but based on what other fx guys said that is unlikely.
Fack.
Posted via RS Mobile
jigjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

will be costly repair, worst case scenario= the wheel alignment will never be the same as original even if they try their best to bend the suspension components back.

Next time, just hit the crack head.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
will be costly repair, worst case scenario= the wheel alignment will never be the same as original even if they try their best to bend the suspension components back.

Next time, just hit the crack head.
My friend who worked as an apprentice at some mediocre shop in Richmond and had a customer's Honda CR-V that he took out to the nearby alignment shop (Sako's) to do an alignment. That CR-V had a bent control arm yet Sako's still made it run straight. My friend kept praising Sako's afterwards. LOL.

ouch, sad to hear that happening to the best sounding V6 SUV out there. X.x
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Double-check what your discount is before you throw the ICBC idea out. If it's high enough, you can get away with a minimal yearly increase and only have to pay the $300 deductible. They'll also fix/replace your wheel and tire if need be.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #9

^ werd.

so bad news, but at least all the components will get fixed and i won't try to cheap out by doing it privately....

Rim bent/warped.
control arms/steering components, ie:
tie rod, knuckle and some other shit. All in all about $3200 in parts alone, including the rim, but not even factoring in a new bumper (which is gonna b the smaller part of this claim). But buddy assured me that once all stuff replaced, will drove as good as new...

So ya, no way i can afford to take that hit all at once, so i made a claim already, but those rapists at icbc are "backlogged" and it might take a couple of days for them to check my car.

So rundown:

i'm sitting at 35% discount (was a roadstar at 43 % till 2 years ago when i wiped out on black ice going up willingdon and had a very similar occurrence on my accord). This hit will take me to 10% discount, which means i will see a 3 g increase in premiums over the next 3 years till i get back down again.
Also, the icbc rep said that there might b more damage once they tear it apart, so chances are, all in all, looking at a ~5g claim, easy.

The other shitty stuff...I don't have loss of use coverage, so no rental thru icbc for me. morrey's loaners are all book for ~week. So till then, i'm goin green and relying on gf/friends. FML.
Also, she mentioned that it depends on if they have to tow it into there estimation facility (which could take ~4 days) or if they will just send an estimator to Morrey (which would only take ~2days). I just wanna get this effin thing going so i can get the shit fixed and have my poor whip back....

Anyhow, ya so thats the rundown. fack.

ps. seriously be careful with all the leaves out there when its wet. Its like oily slime.
I consider myself a very aware driver, but this was kinda outta my control. I have good tread on the front tires (75%) and it still locked and slid like nothing....
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Banned (BBM)

fucking crack head j-walkn
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #11

shoulda plowed his ass at least, fk.

but in all honesty, don't want that on my conscience either if i killed or maimed some1.
Do i have to worry bout icbc screwing me round and not approving my claim quickly?? I'm thinking no right, because its single vehicle and i'm already liable...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Banned (BBM)

ppl who j-walk deserves to get run over seriously, especially those that walks like a slow motherfucking 90 years old, hell even my grandpa crawls faster than hastings mofo
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
people that J-walk should expect to get hit, fucking stupid.

hope you get your car figured out man

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvu View Post

I hate it when a dad/mom is J-walking WITH their kids. A grown person should have more sense than to pull onto 5-year old's hand while running across a busy street. Great role model there.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvu View Post

werd
Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #16

ya no doubt.
thanks for the comments folks, appreciate it. i'm sure everything will get fixed fine n'stuff, but it just sux playing the waiting game. I swear, pedestrians/cyclists, they all think they can run/roll when/how they want, expecting ppl to know their there and they have the right of way regardless.

en route to/from work even, during the day, i dunno how many pedestrians/cyclists i have narrowly averted collision w/ in the past few weeks. Commercial dr. i find is esp bad. effin hippies.

I might be taking this too rough, but effin sux to not have a (my) ride.
Po thang, just sittin there in the morrey lot, in the cold, no shelter, waiting for the icbc rep to go there, nod, and say yep its fked, and start the repairs....
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #17

Update:

Ok, so talked to my tech yest. nite. The ICBC guy came by the dealership yesterday and approved all the damage and gave the go ahead to buy new parts.

Except my buddy mentioned that he's worried there might be some damage to the steering internals and won't know till he fully rips it apart. He said he's gonna try to get me a new one, since its better to be on the safe side and replace it, in case it was stressed and could potentially cause problems later on.
Also, insurance said they're gonna look for a a "used rim" for me first b4 they give the go ahead to buy a new one. I'm sure they're not gonna find one anyhow, but the thing is, my rim is an 03, so it has the champagne finish. Can they order me a new one like that still?? or will it be diff? Regardless, i wanted to get my stockers chromed, so something to figure out....

2nd, turns out my tech's dad is the manager of the dealership affiliated Bodyshop, (Morrey Autobody). So this is very good news, meaning that he will ensure he fixes EVERYTHING on the ride and not miss anything. Also, i'm hoping he could potentially order me a 2006 bumper "by accident". Dunno how that would work and not sure exactly what the difference is. Anyone??

So, looks like the grand total gonna b around 6g's when its said and done. Quite a bit considering it didn't "look" that messed. My right headlight is fine (works and everything), but the lens cover is slightly scratched and the plastic bracket holding it is snapped, so its not sitting solid. Don't think i want or need a whole new headlight tho. Thoughts??

Anyhoo, no loaner till tues/wed. Fk. And the weather here is naasty right now, bah.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
regarding the rims cant they just pull a set of use rims off of a wreck?

oh and for the headlights, make sure to get it check out just because there is no visual damage doesn't mean its no fuck. I had a very minor fender bender awhile back with my old car, they fix everything but the headlight. a month later condensation starts forming on the headlights and I couldn't do anything as I couldn't prove that it was due to the previous fender bender.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #19

Ya, they're gonna look for the rims off wreckers first, but, as we know, pretty rare round these parts...

Good point on the headlights! I never thought bout that. I guess there could likely be enuff force to have broken the seal on the lens perhaps that could lead it issues. I'll b sure to have the bodyguys inspect thoroughly.

Thanks 3-0