REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   wanting to start playing goalie in hockey (https://www.revscene.net/forums/593278-wanting-start-playing-goalie-hockey.html)

hi-revs 10-19-2009 08:38 PM

wanting to start playing goalie in hockey

So im 24. Played hockey for fun and on teams since i was in gr.5. Played in Pich for a few years and other leauges. All of which i played as a player.

Now im just really feeling like wanting to play as a goalie. Im ready to buy all the gear and whatnot.

If i do buy all this gear, what is that chances of actually being able to play in that position. My pich teams already have goalies, so im pretty much outta luck on that one.

Whats the chance of a team picking up a goaile is my major concern since i dont wanna spend thousands of dollars and not play or barely play. I pretty much wanna be playing "full time".

Thoughts?

beetea 10-20-2009 12:31 AM

start coming out to drop-in's and stuff, stick and puck even.

goalies get hurt all the time and teams do need goalies.

i've had a horrible time finding a goalie last year for my spring team. 1 goalie went down with a torn acl, 1 goalie was working all the time and etc.

expose yourself, post on a few websites and i am certain someone will pick you up.

RayBot 10-20-2009 09:53 AM

Learn on ICE.

Develop some skills there....there are more camps and schools on ice, and more public sessions that can help you learn. You'll also learn better/proper habits on the ice than you will on the dryfloor.

From there, u can be assured that your skills can implement both ice and roller. You'll be getting lots of calls to play for free, so your equipment pretty much pays off itself.

Heck...you may never touch roller hockey again!!

Meowjin 10-22-2009 02:21 PM

i got top tier gear for sale...

I stopped getting called out for hockey so I've decided to drop out. :( Messege me if intrested.

bui95 11-20-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6648152)
I stopped getting called out for hockey so I've decided to drop out. :( Messege me if intrested.

were you too good and didnt let anyone score?

Leopold Stotch 11-20-2009 04:36 PM

go to stick and puck. a lot of the older guys(45+) there are nice and will give you tips.

i'd watch some vids on youtube on positioning as well. just helps keep you mindful of what's going on.

bui95 11-21-2009 02:38 PM

you'll have no problem finding a team in pich man. i played for 4 teams last year. if you need to find a team, let me know and you can take one of my spots =)

plus, once you start playing and guys know you're a goalie, they'll ask you to come out for other games with their other buddies too. i play at least once a week now, and sometimes 3-4.

Meowjin 11-22-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bui95 (Post 6692348)
were you too good and didnt let anyone score?

Nah just a newer goalie that was meiocre
Posted via RS Mobile

Selanne_200 11-22-2009 11:12 AM

As long as you make it known to ppl that you're playing goalie, you should get a fair amount of call-outs but expect to get called upon on a short notice until you find your full time team.

A tip tho, don't cheap out on your gears even tho you're just starting out, you'll regret it once you get into it unless you're not sure if you are really interested in playing for sure.