REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
TSD Rallying on public roads: legality issue

Hi officers,

I have been reading on UBCSCC and they are looking forward to hosting a event of TSD rallying. Details can be found here:

http://www.ubcscc.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3498

I am very concerned in the fact that "motorsports" is being carried on our public roads without a sanctioning body. I believe the word of the law is that any motorsports regardless if it's a race against another vehicle or against time, is strictly forbidden.

So the way I see it, TSD is a race against time, despite the fact that the speed required in this skill-testing competition will be within speed limit, it is still a "race" where the driver has to concentrate on activities normally not involved in operating a motor vehicle.

So I would like to hear an interpretation of an officer with regards to such activity. Will the cars involved in the TSD rally be considered street racing if they are pulled over during the event? I am trying to get a clear grasp of this concept of "racing against time". If the driver is to "meet a time" by driving a certain (legal) speed, is that considered "racing against time"? They are certainly competing (racing against?) with other participants in this situation, that's an unmistakable fact.

Much clarification would be appreciated.
Advertisement

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,950 Times in 585 Posts
We already ran this actually.
We've done this in the past and contacted the respective municipalities. They asked us why we bothered to call them when its all within the law... Except Richmond.

Its not a race against time, its actually if you can pace yourself within an average speed to get to a certain destination. Its not a "fastest-time-wins" situation.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Didn't this happen on Friday? And why are you so concerned? They said on the site that anyone caught doing anything illegal will be penalized. I'm pretty sure if you'd bothered to look up the definition, you would have realized that it isn't "street racing". Not to mention someone posted the Top Gear link for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
the person that comes closest to the specified time wins.

too fast, you lose.
too slow, you lose.

it's all about precision.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
ya I'm just concerned if anything is to go down if no one informed the RCMP ahead of time coz SFASC is trying to get one going soon as well. I can see how the word of the law is pitted against the activity, this is where I want the law enforcer's perspective on things.

So no doing this crap in Richmond, note taken.

Better be safe than sorry.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,950 Times in 585 Posts
Well as long as you can keep a handle on your participants, no issue will arise. All participants are traveling alone (not as a pack), safely, and under the speed limit; no laws are broken.

All it takes is one retard to ruin your events.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You might want to contact your insurance providers as they may consider this a "race" or "speed competition" and invalidate your insurance. Having driven in many rallies in the past I have found that you eventually find your self speeding or cutting corners somewhere to make up time to maintain your "average speed". Normal traffic conditions can be an obstruction to even maintaining the speed limits...then there is getting off course ( lost) in the mix, and you know what follows as there is a great temptation to reclaim the lost time/averags speed or loose your race position.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
retired

TSD Rallies have nothing to do with how fast you are going. All set speeds are 10% below the speed limit.

Check out http://www.rallybc.com/html/tsd_events.html for more information.

The fun TSD's are held out in Merritt and beyond. I just finished a Novice Series and that was a blast. Although I'm sure most people would be too lazy and complain that driving to Merritt is too far

One of the TSD's that I've done, was tarmac, and boy was that boring. It was an afternoon sight seeing trip around, gravel/mud/snow is when it gets fun.

Last edited by Truenosan; 10-25-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Retired Traffic Cop

Looks like a good way to spend an afternoon to me....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Looks like a good way to spend an afternoon to me....
They are quite fun. It really doesn't matter what kind of car you have. For the regional events, they can be 2 days long. A lot of driving at night which is really fun and challenging.

The rally nuts are a great bunch, I've never met such a group of people that are so down to earth and fun to be around with.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote