REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Carver's Steakhouse (https://www.revscene.net/forums/594051-carvers-steakhouse.html)

6793026 10-26-2009 10:23 AM

Carver's Steakhouse

They are known for " Downtown Steakhouse in the heart of Richmond! Classic “American Style Steakhouse” the menu uses top quality ingredients such as Certified Angus™ beef.
Address: 7311 Westminster Highway | Richmond, BC | V6X 1A3

Went to the place on Sunday night, there were maybe 3 tables at 7:30PM. I read their website and they say all these great things about it but there are a lot of crappy reviews, I also knew it was going to be expensive. I went there, me and my buddy ordered some drinks and we were quickly presented with salmon caviche which was ok, a bit too much olives but overall nice as a complimentary dish.

We ordered crab cakes and also oysters. It was 16 dollars and 19 dollars. The crab cakes were very very thin compared to ones usually very thick in size. The baked oysters were nice fat oysters which was great.

Presentation was nothing to be wow-ed about was the general conclusion.

I’ve asked for the suggestion on what’s good, and to tell you the truth, it’s a steak house and that was about it. We ordered the prime rib and it was 38 dollars but I didn’t really like it. (12oz I think). The prime rib was very very thin, not as thin as the beef you order from E-canteen but it was maybe just double the size of it. To put it into perspective, it was put on a super super hot plate and the prime rib was about the size of an iphone. Literally, the thickness was the size of an iphone and maybe 1.3 X the size of an iphone.

I really didn’t feel it was worth the value.

Dessert was cheese cake and I ordered the chocolate cake. It was crunchy on the outside and the inside was warm chocolate cake.

Overall, I didn’t find it too value friendly, drinks were ok, food was not that good being a “nice steak house”. The décor was ok, the food presentation was mediocre. I would not go back to tell you the truth, I would prefer going to CHOP at least the outdoor patio is nice, their prime rib was decent size at CHOP and chop would have been more worthy in general. (oh at least there's girl to look at there).

!SG 10-26-2009 10:51 AM

sometimes you have to read the fine print.

it may be 12oz's, but that is before cooking.

a good steak house ages their steak for weeks before actual consumption. this intensifies the flavour but also, any excess moisture in the beef is removed. with that said, they may be using angus beef, but if its too new, ur paying for the water.

all the good steak houses age their steaks. thats what i loved about morton's, aged and huge steak. i loved their chicago style bone in rib eye. omg, that was just amazing!

BinsentoW 10-26-2009 05:08 PM

Ive been to carvers 3 times, and thought it was good twice. Its usually not that busy there, but that one time there was a party of 18 or 28, so it took LONG. Their ribeye tastes good there.

winson604 10-26-2009 07:12 PM

Tried once with low expectations and thought it was absolutely horrible. The steak was probably one of the worst steaks I've ever had. Definitely will not be going back ever again. If it wasn't somebodies birthday I wouldn't have even gone in the first place.

q0192837465 10-27-2009 02:20 PM

How about Queen's on No3 and Westminster? It has ads in PLEM and price is decent.

miss_crayon 10-27-2009 11:22 PM

went there earlier this year and it wasn't anything too special that made me go "WOW, must come here again." i did have the baked oysters though and thought it was quite delicious.

Ch28 10-28-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 6655937)
How about Queen's on No3 and Westminster? It has ads in PLEM and price is decent.

queen's cafe?

went there a couple of years back and enjoyed it

food was good, price was about right and server was super cute

i believe the chef/owner is on revscene :)

Jermyzy 10-28-2009 12:09 PM

i went to carver's when they first opened. The food was good, menu was a little different than say the Keg (I had a bison medallion with lobster knuckle), service was friendly although busy (they had just opened). haven't been back since, but I probably will next time I'm craving steak on a weekend when the Keg is too busy :p