REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Roommate not cleaning and security deposit (https://www.revscene.net/forums/594667-roommate-not-cleaning-security-deposit.html)

Criot 10-31-2009 12:02 PM

Roommate not cleaning and security deposit

Not sure if This is the correct forum subsection. Please move if so. Thanks!

I have just moved out an apartment that I had a roomate with. He did not do any cleaning to get back the security deposit. He said he cleaned the kitchen, bathroom and his bedroom, but when I went to get my vaccum the night before the inspection his room had not be vaccumed there was garbage everywhere. New stains on the main living room/hallway carpets (all of which I had professionally cleaned) and the all he had done to the kitchen was wipe down the counters and floor. The sinks were clogged and dirty, the fridge dirty, the oven not cleaned.

I had to stay at the apartment and clean for 5+ hours (3 of which were the oven. He cooks chicken without covering with bbq sauce and the filth was at least an inch thick.) Plus I had cleaned my bedroom, the hallways, the living room, and most of the bathroom the previous weekend.

Is there anything I can do? Can I charge for labour/ emotional stress (I had mid terms the next day too!!) and charge for the cost of the cleaning supplies?

CLIFF NOTES

Sunday - cleaned living room, my bedroom, hallways, closets, most of bathroom.

Monday - Asked roomate to clean his portion (kitchen, finish bathroom, his bedroom) for wednseday for inspection to be done.

Wed - he had said he had done it. When prodded further found out he had done nothing. I did not call for the inspection.

Thursday- friday same as wed.

Friday night - all of the above happened. As well as the roomate blaming his not cleaning on me cleaning, then changing the sotry, then threatening me with physical harm.

Eff-1 10-31-2009 12:17 PM

sho_bc 10-31-2009 12:39 PM

You can always try in small claims court for labour and supplies.... but it is generally a case of being careful who you move in with... If he baked chicken without covering the whole time, you had that whole time to change that habit.

As for the threats, if you honestly fear for your safety and feel he'll carry out the threats, report it to the police.

Criot 10-31-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6662043)
You can always try in small claims court for labour and supplies.... but it is generally a case of being careful who you move in with... If he baked chicken without covering the whole time, you had that whole time to change that habit.

As for the threats, if you honestly fear for your safety and feel he'll carry out the threats, report it to the police.

I do realize that I could have tried harder to make him use cover, I did remind him on many occasions, but we barley saw each other (I worked 9-5, he worked 6-1).

Its pretty disappointing to be so SOL while such a irresponsible person reaps the benefits.

Soundy 11-01-2009 05:38 PM

You did all the cleaning... seems to me that you should get all of the security deposit. Or did I miss something?

zulutango 11-02-2009 05:52 AM

I suggest you get a copy of "The Odd Couple" and watch it...sounds like you have an Oscar vs Felix situation here. :) Next time when sharing an appartment and YOU are on the financial hook, make sure the ground rules are written and agreed upon before anyone moves in.

saucywoman 11-02-2009 10:53 AM

if the deposit is in your name don't give him his half. If there are any bills in his name like phone or cable or whatever that you may owe him your portion for just withhold payment citing the non cleaning reason. Other than that you're kind of SOL.

6793026 11-02-2009 12:18 PM

I need the whole story. Was the RTA (Residential Tenancy Agreement) under both of your names, are you the landlord, was it you that got the full deposit back?

1) Assuming you rented the place, contract was under ONLY your name and deposit was fully yours.

Too bad, so sad, lesson learnt. Not a joke. Unless you hired someone cleaning, or have receipts, you'll get NO where trying to get the money back. say you spent 5 hrs and 20 dollars worth of supplies, you'll try to get 120 dollars back from him. To fill for small claims court and to serve him a notice is already more than $120.

2) if it was under BOTH of your name, BOTH of you paid deposit.
Ask the landlord to pay you back for your full half and deduct the dirty part of the apartment. However, because you took the liberty of cleaning it up, the landlord doesn't give a shit, this is between the both of you. Refer to # 1