REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Okanagan Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/okanagan-automotive-chat_153/)
-   -   2010 tundra vs 2010 dodge (https://www.revscene.net/forums/594749-2010-tundra-vs-2010-dodge.html)

SmokeyTheBandit 11-01-2009 08:21 AM

2010 tundra vs 2010 dodge

so i am thinking about getting a new truck this winter or next spring the latest. i've narrowed it down to these two trucks, i am not interested in the other makers as i simply do not like the trucks. i've test driven alot of them and these are my favorites so far. mind you, i have not driven the 2010 heavy duty as they are not out for another 2 weeks, but i have driven the gas version in the 1500 trim.

the main purpose of the truck is going to be for work, now i dont really need payload of towing capacity for work. just a solid, extremely reliable trucks for long hauls with work and obviously 4x4 for winter.

i cant decide between a 2010 toyota tundra 5.7 or a 2010 dodge ram heavy duty 3500 diesel. i know these trucks are totally different, but i plan on getting a supercharger and a full exhaust system for the toyota which will push the torque numbers to 550-600 ft/lbs which comes close to the diesel.

the towing aspect, i will probably be towing a max of 7,000lbs. i will have a tandem axle enclosed trailer i will be taking my track bikes from saskatoon to bc and the states frequently, so fairly long trips.

the only reason i am even considering the diesel is for the power, the look, and the features of the truck and the reliability of the engine. i want a truck thats going to last me as long as possible, and you never know, i may get a 5th wheel or a massive mobile trailer.

i dont want to buy a truck and 4 years down the road have to find a new one because it cant pull a 5th wheel good enough to save its life.

inputs?

RRxtar 11-01-2009 09:40 AM

if you need a truck, get the tundra. if you need a tow vehicle, get the diesel. 15mpg vs 7mpg. you decide

Dirt Rider 11-01-2009 10:02 AM

imo.. if your spending that kinda money anyway.. go wtih the cummins.. toyota makes a nice truck.. a good buddy of mine has one.. it even tows quite well.. but his fuel econ. is pure trash.. not to mention to get up to those #'s with a SC kit ect.. your boosting purchase price alot closer to the diesel mark anyway..

all in all.. id never own another gas truck.. for towing.. or not.. there cheaper to purchase.. but thats about where it ends..

tq. power.. and better econ. out of a 1ton is something a gas truck just will never have

RRxtar 11-01-2009 02:37 PM

the only thing a gas truck has over a 1ton is daily drivability. driving a full size one ton around town is just too big. hell, even an F150/ram/tundra/etc supercrew is pushing it in many parkinglots.

SmokeyTheBandit 11-01-2009 06:03 PM

i test drove a tundra over an entire weekend and found it decent drive around and park, but the diesel i test drove was much harder.

in the summer time i plan on making one trip per month to and from bc or wash state with the trailer.

i guess i honestly dont need the supercharger with the toyota, it would be nice to have that extra jam when towing, but not needed.

RRxtar 11-01-2009 08:08 PM

the tundra has more than enough power for towing.

i took my 04 F150 with a trailer full of 4 bikes and gear and people to spokane and had no problem passing anytime. and the tundra has way more jam than that generation ford, and a better tranny.

SmokeyTheBandit 11-01-2009 10:00 PM

a supercharger would be pretty sweet though, kinda nice to have 500+ hp on tap

zumvette 11-01-2009 11:21 PM

well the tundra is more like a big car with truck abilities, the dodge is like a truck with semi truck power. if you are goin to do 99% intown driving with very little towing, maybe 8-12x/yr then go with the tundra, didnt see that coming. i like the power of my cummins but repairs are expensive but i guess a brand new truck wont have that problem with warranty. fuck it get the smokin tree pullin machine, i vote for cummins. ignore the first part

SmokeyTheBandit 11-08-2009 07:25 PM

im leaning towards the tundra now.

i cant see me ever using 1/2 the potential of the diesel.

the tundra can still tow 10k. the max i would tow is probably 5-6k.

delSol97 11-11-2009 05:02 PM

One will have a major breakdown in 2 years, the other in 20.

Iceman-19 11-11-2009 06:04 PM

You do realize the supercharger is about 10 grand installed right? If you want to keep your factory warrenty anyways and run the TRD setup. 12 hour install time.

SmokeyTheBandit 11-11-2009 07:15 PM

yeah i went to the dealer this week, i am trying to figure out which model suits my needs the most.

i am getting a double cab, not the crew max. 4x4 of course.

i cant decide between the "limited" model with navi or the sr5 leather + navi.

the dealer actually has one in stock, they will give it to me for $9000 installed with trd intake and trd a full exhaust system

jeffh 11-12-2009 12:34 PM

^ this sounds like a good time to me

SmokeyTheBandit 11-12-2009 04:42 PM

so it doesnt look like i am going to get a supercharger. the sales guy and i were under the impression if i bought the truck and got the extended 200k warranty and sc installed at time of sale it would be covered for 200k.

its not, its covered for 5 yr/ 100k which still isnt bad.

there was a toyota canada rep on site and told me to wait 6-8 months before i get a supercharger. hinting there maybe a change to this rule! :)

anyways, i signed papers, waiting to see if i get the approval.

SpooSports 11-19-2009 09:16 PM

i bought another dodge

SmokeyTheBandit 11-20-2009 07:15 PM

i got a crewmax comming in next week. i am not sure if i am going to like the color, it was on its way to the dealer anyway, so i secured it so i get first dibs if i like.

salsa red crewmax platinum

SmokeyTheBandit 11-26-2009 08:18 PM

ok...

i just bought a tundra

HyperREV 11-26-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpooSports (Post 6691502)
i bought another dodge

i bought a toyota

:buttrock:

SmokeyTheBandit 11-27-2009 06:43 AM

whatcha get hyper? post up some pics!

i dont pick mine up till next week, will have some pics by next weekend